What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF - Removing plastic ramp

Durzel

Registered
Hi,

I'm planning to remove the plastic ramp on my TAF this weekend, to fit my LED ring pop bumpers. The ramp looks relatively straightforward to remove, save for a couple of things I'm uncertain about...
  • The diverter - there are two screws that attach the ramp to the diverter, but I presume the diverter does not come off with the ramp (it's hard to tell). I can't see whether or not there are captive nuts underneath the bracket on the left that might fall out, and as far as I can tell its impossible to get access to underneath it, so I'm wary about unscrewing it.

• Screws at the back - unbeknowst to me and unlike TZ the playfield just rotates up, it doesn't pull out. Consequently the ramp screws at the back look very hard to get to. Is it a case of just using a shorty screwdriver? Am I better off having the playfield halfway up (on stand)?
Any other gotchas I should be aware of would be great. I will be taking lots of photos but I want to make sure I'm fully prepared before I start.

Thanks in advance.

The ramp is NOT attached to the diverter. You can simply push the diverter back out of the way when you are removing the ramp.

Regarding access at the back - yep you can tilt the playfield up to allow a longer screwdriver.

It is actually possible to lift the playfield hooks off the support bolts - put the pf into a vertical position and lift up - and then just rest the back of the hooks on the support bolts. You can then carefully lower the playfield and pull it forward a few inches to allow easier access .You just need to put a blanket or something across the lockdown bar area to carefully rest the playfield on it. Done this plenty of times on Sys 11 games.

Just for the ramp though you prob don't need to do this.

So the two screws on top of the diverter don't go through holes on the ramp plastic? I'm not in front of the machine to check.

What you've described about removing the playfield off the support bolts sounds too intimidating for me to be honest. :(

Ah ok, that's the screws I meant. :) I was just busting out Photoshop to put a ring around them :)

The other problem I've got is tangentially related.. the pop bumper screws currently fitted, and the ones supplied with the LED rings (which raise the height of the pop bumper cap by 5mm) are too short due to the extra plastic fitted on top of some of the pops.

I spoke to the guy who makes them (In the States) and he said they are these (#4-24 x 3/4"). I have no idea what that means in metric, I measured the screw at it looks like it might be M2 x 20mm, but it could be M2.5 too. I think I will need 25mm ones.

Very specific question but wondering if anyone has had to buy new pop bumper screws and knows what they are.

Back
Top Bottom