What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF not booting

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Anyone want a free TAF before I burn it.

So as per my thread yesterday, I was having audio issues.

I put in a new ribbon connector (the 4 plug long one) and it resolves the fuzzy sound issue although it was now missing some sound (the click clicks in TAF theme tune) maybe others but not familiar enough with the game. No biggie, Paul is burning roms for me to try and it still plays and sounds fine.

I put my old ribbon cable in WH20 and that plays fine so I guess it wasn’t the issue in TAF but a good reseat helped.

Tonight I turned on the game and all sounds were present. Even the clicks. After a couple of games the snowy fuzzy noise returned and I lost the clicks again and it sounded awful. So I pulled the sound board and reseated chips U18 and U10.

Now it won’t boot. I’ve reseated the ribbons a hundred times, swapped cables from other games, tried booting with the sound board disconnected with and without ribbons connected. Nothing

I’m getting solid leds D19 and D21 on the cpu board
If remove the ribbon completely and boot, I get solid D19 and D21 and blinking D21.

I’m out of ability now

I’ll have it!......
Seriously your doing a great job bringing this one back, just another hick up along the way, you’ll get there!

Agree with Tony - take a step back - this stuff isn't rocket science but it DAMN WELL will try you.

Everything is fixable, you will get it.

Just double double check you have plugged everything back in, I have done that a few more times than once :O

I’m off to bed as Im up early but I removed the sound board completely and it booted. I then reseated the chips again and installed the board leaving all butnthe ribbons unplugged. It booted with a sound board interface error. I then plugged in the power connectors and it booted without error and is now working again with the fuzzy white noise Occasionally appearing.

****ing mystery

Dumb question but are you sure the ROMs are in the sockets properly? I made a right pigs ear of installing the Gold ROMs I bought from Pinball Heaven. It looked like they were in, but several pins weren't in the socket properly.

If all else fails send the board off to @myPinballs or someone equally qualified. At least if you can get a sign off on the board being ok you can rule it out. Process of elimination etc.

Yes sure as sure can be all the roms were seated correctly. If the new set don’t work rest assured I’ll be posting it away for repair.

Thanks all. Appreciate the responses

Come back to it with a clear head. As has been said there's nothing that can't be resolved, and there's a finite number of things that it could be, and it's just a case of ruling each thing out.

It’s back to its original state now. Missing some sounds. I’m not touching it again until the roms arrive!!!

In my view, its unlikely to be roms if they were already changed, though its one of the simplest places to start. If sounds are missing then its more likely a data interface issue. Is there a rom checksum issue displayed on boot?

Also, a seemingly sound board fault/issue may not actually be on the sound board, as the data bus is shared across other boards and the sound board can take the brunt of problems caused by other boards.

My first suggestion would be put the sound board in your whitewater, with the roms from the whitewater board and see if it works ok or not

Thanks Jim. The sound board roms have never been changed they’re the original ones. All I’ve done is reseat them.

Back
Top Bottom