What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF Audio Quality

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hi
Does mine have issues or is it really that crap?
Mine sounds white noisy in the background. Is this normal or is something awry?

Thanks
Gaz

Edit. There’s something defo wrong with mine. Aghhhhhhhh **** this ****ing thing. I’m over it

+1 on Capacitors - really simple fix - get them from RS - order tonight, be with you by Tuesday, fixed Tuesday night - or you'll have a better idea on what to do.

Wouldn’t imagine speakers would result in the odd missing sound.

I reckon it’s a bad rom. I’ll send the whole kit and kaboodle off for a repair. Getting expensive this

Can you board swap and speaker panel exchange ? Similar era game. Narrow it down

Wouldn’t imagine speakers would result in the odd missing sound.

I reckon it’s a bad rom. I’ll send the whole kit and kaboodle off for a repair. Getting expensive this

If it's one of mine i'll hapilly do it again for you....

Can anyone tell me please.... Sound roms on TAF... (NON-Gold)... is it just one in U18, or Two, one in U15 the other in U18??

Trying to get some sorted for Gaz, Just to rule that out... however pine is running Pinsound, so i cant tell from mine...

EDIt - All sorted.. no panic :D

Last edited:
Mine sounds crap too, to the point where I sent my sound board off to @myPinballs thinking it was knackered. But turns out the board tested fine and the sound quality is just crap.

@Spandangler

Sound quality is incredibly subjective. For me, crap pinball sound quality means stuff like Paragon and Genie. A filthy little cab speaker and a tinny, overheating amp with dry capacitors.

I have flipper fidelity speakers in my Addams and they really add bass/ depth. A friend is a sound engineer and he was quite impressed by these speakers , especially when compared to my TZ which is running on stock gear.

Modern Stern and JJP sound quality is streets ahead of the WPC stuff. I think the Addams sound quality is on a par with other games of this era that you have owned and know - Whirly, Fishy etc . The sound content itself is about as good as it gets for an early wpc

If you have time I'd be very interested to hear your setup DRD e.g. via a HQ YouTube video or something. I have FF speakers in my TAF too, and whilst they add bass I wouldn't say it's particularly great. The bass in my Tron is night and day better.

Well - as a sound engineer, producer and musician - I actually agree with you @DRD - it is subjective, but the bit rate these sounds are done at is very low. For instance - I think an older 'Defender' has better quality synthesized sound quality than an Addams/Fish Tales/Dr Who etc.....

Once you have a pinsound in one of these era pins you wont go back. Also a lot of the 'remix' packs you can download are also stereo sounds - and of course the originals are mono.

Putting a pinsound in with the original speakers is a waste of time in my humble opinion.

I don't get the appeal of wholesale changing the iconic music and sounds of these games. For me that's a big part of what makes the games so memorable.

If it were possible to have identical (but higher nitrate and stereo) sounds to the original game I'd be keen (but we can't because the original sounds are what we've got to work with), otherwise to me it just feels.. I dunno.. sacrilegious?

You can put in whatever sounds you want.

https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-alpha-dmd/the-addams-family/

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy pinsound or other mods. For instance I can not stand the idea on people putting LEDs underneath the base of the cabinet - but hey - that is my opinion, and if you like them - do it.

You wont get better bit rate of the 'original' sounds as (more than likely) they no longer exist. They were recorded on 90s hardware and I doubt anyone saw a need to keep them.

On the link above you can download the original sounds and if you choose to do so you can attempt 'enhancement'. The original sounds will sound better thru a pinsound board as the amplifier is better.

Thanks David. I’m not so fussed on the sound quality, it’s of its time I suppose. I can’t have them loud anyway. The problem in my case was the sound had a white noise in the background. As I typed this thread it could almost have been plausible it was supposed to be that way. 5 minutes later it was almost impossible to hear the actual sounds then it went nuts. Changed the ribbon connector to a new one and it cleared up, however it’s missing the bong on startup (well there’s something there in the mist!) and I’m missing some sounds now.

I’ve removed the main sound/speech rom and cleaned the legs with a fibre glass pen as they were corroded and sprayed some contact cleaner in the socket. Still no dice.

I’ll try the new roms Paul is sending and go from there.

Thanks all

If anyone is interested. Its hard to tell quality from youtube 'phone videos'

I have no doubt that it sounds very good. Obviously as a sound guy fidelity is going to be quite important to you, and certainly pre-DCS era sound quality is crap and arguably magnified by better speakers. For me though losing the original actor callouts - particularly Raul Julia's, and the original copyrighted music - is too extreme a change to me.

I guess everyone is different - I have no problem diverging from the playfield designers intent with incandescent lights by fitting LEDs, because I believe that incandescents were all that was available at the time. But when it comes to changing stuff that is integral to the experience, a different sound & music experience would be like changing the translight for a cartoon one or something.

That said - I'm intrigued to hear how @Spandangler 's sound problem gets resolved, because I'm not 100% convinced about how mine sounds either.

Back
Top Bottom