What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SYS 11: Finally, I get it!

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
I've always been a bit of a DMD era pinball fan, and felt slightly bemused by all the love directed at Sys 11 machines by some people here. I mean, they look OK, but the sound is pretty basic and alphanumeric displays can hardly rival DMD graphics or even ColorDMD loveliness, can they?

But I recently took possession of an Earthshaker, and after a few hours on it I finally get it.

There's something about the simplicity of the graphics and sound that makes the gameplay standout, and much to my amazement there is a shedload of rules and complexity in the old machine. Perhaps not as much as in AC/DC or something like that, but I guess it's like comparing a classic 8 bit game with some of the stuff that plays on the PS4 now. It's simpler but incredibly fun in its own way.

I'm a big Pat Lawlor fan and what's great about Earthshaker is that you can see so many of the features of his later games in embryonic form in it. It has his design hallmark stamped all over it. You work for miles, like in RS, you've got a shelter like the bookcase shot in TAF, visiting the fault is much like hitting the left ramp in TAF or getting hitchikers in TZ, there's the Lawlor classic shot through the pops, and on it goes.

Anyway, I realise now that all the Sys 11 fans on here are not completely deluded after all. A whole new area of pinball has just opened up and I love it!

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest...

I'm starting to build an affection for sys11 games also. I played a lot of them at pin burgh and really enjoyed them. I don't have one but am looking to get Swords of Fury, high speed, jokerz, or mousing around. Just need to get the shed done. i also want a meteor.

I've always been a bit of a DMD era pinball fan, and felt slightly bemused by all the love directed at Sys 11 machines by some people here. I mean, they look OK, but the sound is pretty basic and alphanumeric displays can hardly rival DMD graphics or even ColorDMD loveliness, can they?

But I recently took possession of an Earthshaker, and after a few hours on it I finally get it.

There's something about the simplicity of the graphics and sound that makes the gameplay standout, and much to my amazement there is a shedload of rules and complexity in the old machine. Perhaps not as much as in AC/DC or something like that, but I guess it's like comparing a classic 8 bit game with some of the stuff that plays on the PS4 now. It's simpler but incredibly fun in its own way.

I'm a big Pat Lawlor fan and what's great about Earthshaker is that you can see so many of the features of his later games in embryonic form in it. It has his design hallmark stamped all over it. You work for miles, like in RS, you've got a shelter like the bookcase shot in TAF, visiting the fault is much like hitting the left ramp in TAF or getting hitchikers in TZ, there's the Lawlor classic shot through the pops, and on it goes.

Anyway, I realise now that all the Sys 11 fans on here are not completely deluded after all. A whole new area of pinball has just opened up and I love it!

Phew. Glad I got that off my chest...
It's why I loved my Earthshaker. Simple switch on and play. You can remove your brain and just enjoy. Starting the main quake and then shooting the shelter never gets dull! I don't think they are games for getting high scores. They are just games to enjoy the flow and appreciate the simple beauty of the design, colours and sounds....whilst I love my new Roadshow, I have to switch my brain on for it!

SofF has one of the best soundtracks in ALL pinball. And Black Knight 2000 is something else!

Reactions: DRD
Sys11 games are cracking fun, but I feel like you need a collection of 5+ to really keep them for a good length of time. I've been through a few and unfortunately because I only have a small-ish collection they never last very long because generally I beat them in a week and then want a new challenge. They're great if you want a quick game that isn't too deep for rules. I'll always play them at shows/friends houses when I can. The simplicity of them is great for speedy games.

Back
Top Bottom