Switching energy provider - free money alert :)

Arv

Jul 21, 2011
Bulb for me too. I was going to switch to Octopus but they seem to have gone up also.

Don't be tempted to get a smart meter and the government bs that everyone has to have one. End of the day you're going to consume electricity either way.

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Are you mental? Of course get a smart meter - why in God’s name wouldn’t you get something that will save energy?!

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marvello

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Oldham, Greater Manchester
Are you mental? Of course get a smart meter - why in God’s name wouldn’t you get something that will save energy?!

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Smart Meters don't really save energy, they just tell you what you are using. When I have the oven on it goes up, when I turn the oven off it goes down. I knew that before I got a Smart Meter :)

After the first week mine was installed I haven't looked at it once. I don't waste energy so not sure how much more I could benefit from it.

Reactions: Chris
OP
OP
Sgt GrizZ

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
40 clicks North of Saigon (or Brighton beach )
Aren't there some issues with smart meters and switching suppliers ?

More and more I'm turning into an old luddite .... if I can avoid adding extra tech to my life I do - it only ever causes grief in my experience.

Good example was the wireless thermostat timer they installed for our boiler ....an absolute ballache of confusion to make what should be a simple change to settings, had to dig out instructions and rant at it every time :rofl: I'm sure it cost us more because I couldn't be dicked half the time trying to figure my way thru umpteen menus and button presses just to turn the heating off an hour earlier ffs. With the old manual timer at a glance I could see when the heating was set and I could change it in seconds. Simple analogue life for me where possible.

Rant over. Going to read my paper ...yes, a printed newspaper :D

Reactions: JMP and robotgreg

Marvello

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Oldham, Greater Manchester
I can't see any reason not to have a Smart Meter installed if you are offered one as they do automatically send meter readings, but make sure it isn't the first generation (SMETS1) one as it will likely need replacing at some point to a more industry standard/compatible version (SMETS2).

When I looked at switching energy providers last year it was under the proviso I hadn't already got a Smart Meter installed.

Ironically I've probably used more electric having it plugged in than if I'd never had one :hmm:

Tucks

Sep 21, 2014
SW London
I'm back with OVO. The only reason is they could read both smart meters at the house I just bought. No other provider could. Lazy I know.

ChrisH

Dec 5, 2014
Stroud

More and more I'm turning into an old luddite .... if I can avoid adding extra tech to my life I do - it only ever causes grief in my experience.

Good example was the wireless thermostat timer they installed for our boiler ....an absolute ballache of confusion to make what should be a simple change to settings, had to dig out instructions and rant at it every time :rofl: I'm sure it cost us more because I couldn't be dicked half the time trying to figure my way thru umpteen menus and button presses just to turn the heating off an hour earlier ffs. With the old manual timer at a glance I could see when the heating was set and I could change it in seconds. Simple analogue life for me where possible.

Bloody hate my Digistat thing - in my old house it was one of those wheels with pins to set the times for when it was on auto, a thermostat wheel for the temperature, and then a slider that said, on, off, auto.
Perfect.

I'm sure I'm wasting money on heating, because all we can do is prod the damn thing in to life by raising the temperature, its total cr*p.

Reactions: Sgt GrizZ

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
when are you going to start learning to read you ****ing imbecile. (that's another word for fool for you and your "buddies" who can't cope with big words).

"why in God’s name wouldn’t you get something that will save energy?!"

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Smart Meters don't really save energy, they just tell you what you are using. When I have the oven on it goes up, when I turn the oven off it goes down. I knew that before I got a Smart Meter :)

After the first week mine was installed I haven't looked at it once. I don't waste energy so not sure how much more I could benefit from it.
sorry mate, but they absolutely save energy, yes its easy to state the obvious like turning stuff on and off, but a study I worked on showed that the energy savings if everyone had a smart meter were significant. I recall that something like 75% have reduced their usage since a smart meter was deployed.

In the future the data from smart meters will enable better control of overall energy consumption (ala the nordic region) and enable operators to provide much better deals because they are able to hedge more power and distribute and share power more effectively. In my last company deploying smart meters saved the company millions of pounds because of improved understanding of usage and ability to leverage supply better. In my current company, where we use just under 1% of all the entire countries electricity, smart meters have also saved us hugely and allowed us to move all of our supply to renewable sustainable sources. So when I see asshats like Arv who probably runs his house of AA's and a wind up clock say don't get a smart meter they are clearly mental and probably live in a house wrapped in metal foil.

Neil.

JMP

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2011
Lancashire
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch..... :D

All I ever see online is tons of reasons not to get one. :hmm: But if this is wrong, I'll pay more for less less tech too.... just a PITA... The wireless heating thermostat in our old house was once being controlled by our neighbour and vice-versa…. took ages to work out what was going on :rolleyes:

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey

god help me if I ever start thinking like you LOL, my entire house is automated!

My Nest has saved me a fortune as I'm often not in and it detects this and shuts down the heating across the house. It also turns it up on the way home when I get close to the house handy when I land into LHR and it knows I'm back. The setup in my pinroom also detects a lack of movement and turns off the heat pump, which I suspect has saved me an absolute fortune.

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Is that Arv in that video? LOL

AHAHAHAHAHA

They can determine what TV programme you are watching? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

WHAT ABSOLUTE TOTAL NONSENSE.

Reactions: Marvello

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
check out this other video by Arv :

He posted a video about bread to YouTube? Are you ****ting me?! LOL

LOL

Big Phil

Nov 24, 2011
County Durham
Smart meters actually cost money as they consume electricity.

I got one, didn't ask for it, plugged it in, watched it for a bit then unplugged it and popped it in a drawer.

People being smart saves money, not a meter.

Reactions: Marvello

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Smart meters actually cost money as they consume electricity.

I got one, didn't ask for it, plugged it in, watched it for a bit then unplugged it and popped it in a drawer.

People being smart saves money, not a meter.
A smart meter is the thing that connects to the electricity supply mate- is that what you mean?

Arv

Jul 21, 2011
@Neil McRae @Arv.... maybe take this out to the playground, can't be bothered with it on here.
I don't think he knows what a smart meter is, nest is not a smart meter.

Also resorting to name calling and trying to belittle people does nothing for you. Back up your claims and I will read and take on board.

Big Phil

Nov 24, 2011
County Durham
A smart meter is the thing that connects to the electricity supply mate- is that what you mean?
Ahhhh sorry. Yeah, I've got one of those. There's also the display that shows you what you're consuming. I'm on about that. Watched it for a few minutes then unplugged it and chucked it in a drawer :rofl:

Tucks

Sep 21, 2014
SW London
There are two types of smart meter. Completely different devices but unfortunately they have the same name.

1) sits connected in the house and tells you off for leaving a light on. Shows usage.

2) the ones I have which are essentially the gas or electricity meter themselves that sit on the garage/under stairs and displays actual usage. It is smart because it sends meter readings direct to your supplier, hourly if needed.

Reactions: Arv
OP
OP
Sgt GrizZ

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
40 clicks North of Saigon (or Brighton beach )
We decided to switch to bulb, so used your code. Let me know if you don't get the credit and I can follow up.
We know our usage pretty precisely (app shows fairly precise use across the year), and with solar panels and a GSHP, getting a good tariff and stable DD is important. Outfox was slightly cheaper, but online reviews look to corroborate the above opinions of poor service, so we went for Bulb!
Thanks again.
Account credited ! Everyone's a winner :)

For anyone else thinking of switching ....my invite link to get us both £50 credit on our accounts.

bulb.co.uk/refer/ivand2589