Switching energy provider - free money alert :)

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
40 clicks North of Saigon (or Brighton beach )
Free money alert ! :)

Anyone thinking of switching energy providers - and you should really look into if you haven't recently ......... we recently switched to Bulb from Ovo. Prices very competitive, immediate saving for us. Super simple tariffs, user friendy , and love the way you can decide exactly how much you pay on a month by month basis if you are in credit .

Anyway importantly if you sign up via my invite link you get £50 credit in your account and so do I :thumbs:

bulb.co.uk/refer/ivand2589

Reactions: Marvello

Jazzbouche

Jan 10, 2017
Warwick
Cool - I’m about to do this so will take a look. Was about to go with ‘outfoxthemarket’ but will look at bulb and compare. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Sgt GrizZ

Jazzbouche

Jan 10, 2017
Warwick
Interesting - outfox have been great on the phone so far (maybe to get my business!), and they have a slightly better quote for me than bulb, but yes they don’t fix dd payments unless you do the upfront payment plan. Still pondering it.

ChrisH

Dec 5, 2014
Stroud
Bulb here too..... need to dig out my referal link!
For what it's worth they've just told me my price is dropping slightly too

OP
OP
Sgt GrizZ

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
When I was looking to change it was difficult to really compare quotes for what you would pay for say the next 12 months - they seemed to be all over the place, and often wildly off when you started to put real details in.

The only solid figures to base it on are the unit prices they charge - then take into account other aspects of the contract. Fixed terms, payment discounts, green credentials etc

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

astyy

Play Flipper Games for Fun and Recreation
Jan 19, 2015
Basingstoke

Jazzbouche

Jan 10, 2017
Warwick
Free money alert ! :)

Anyone thinking of switching energy providers - and you should really look into if you haven't recently ......... we recently switched to Bulb from Ovo. Prices very competitive, immediate saving for us. Super simple tariffs, user friendy , and love the way you can decide exactly how much you pay on a month by month basis if you are in credit .

Anyway importantly if you sign up via my invite link you get £50 credit in your account and so do I :thumbs:

bulb.co.uk/refer/ivand2589

We decided to switch to bulb, so used your code. Let me know if you don't get the credit and I can follow up.
We know our usage pretty precisely (app shows fairly precise use across the year), and with solar panels and a GSHP, getting a good tariff and stable DD is important. Outfox was slightly cheaper, but online reviews look to corroborate the above opinions of poor service, so we went for Bulb!
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Sgt GrizZ

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
We decided to switch to bulb, so used your code. Let me know if you don't get the credit and I can follow up.
We know our usage pretty precisely (app shows fairly precise use across the year), and with solar panels and a GSHP, getting a good tariff and stable DD is important. Outfox was slightly cheaper, but online reviews look to corroborate the above opinions of poor service, so we went for Bulb!
Thanks again.
Great stuff. Glad you got sorted ! :)

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
I’m on Lumo which has been ok for the time being and just had the smart meter installed. It occurs to me that there are a few Brands that are owned by the same company so beware.

What are folks using a month and then paying a month (or quarter?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

James

Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2017
Norwich
We seem to be using about £5 a day which seems horrendous with Scottish Power, 4 bed, detached.

MartinY

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2017
Hampshire
Actually on a Fixed Price renewal, Scottish Power were one of the best for me. They just failed to be able to perform a switch online...

Jazzbouche

Jan 10, 2017
Warwick
We use 15000 KWh a year. Only electricity, running a Ground source heat pump. Have solar panels too so we’re pretty self sufficient in summer months, but cold days at the moment can easily go over 100kwh a day.

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
so with lumo:
they estimate 10331kWh electricity 26333 gas
1675 for electricity and 1009 for gas...

The usage is bizarre though - you'd expect electricity to be flattish with a little more for lights and gas to be high in the winter months. Every light in my house is a LED and all on smart controls. Pinball shed with the AC on heat and all the games on is remarkable cheap to run. For D2R is was £12!

MartinY

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2017
Hampshire
so with lumo:
they estimate 10331kWh electricity 26333 gas
1675 for electricity and 1009 for gas...

The usage is bizarre though - you'd expect electricity to be flattish with a little more for lights and gas to be high in the winter months. Every light in my house is a LED and all on smart controls. Pinball shed with the AC on heat and all the games on is remarkable cheap to run. For D2R is was £12!
Seems that your leccy cost is high compared to mine - how are you using that much also? I've got the wife, 2 kids, I do have LEDs everywhere, multiple outside lights on from dusk to 2am, internal lights across the house from dusk to 11:30pm, 6 Alexas, Google Home, 6 Sonos, NAS, 10 switches, 5 fridges, 2 freezers, 3 nests thermostats, nest cams, PS4s and no gas - so oven and hob are electric also. I can't believe that I am that efficient!

Poibug

Aug 10, 2011
flintshire
We seem to be using about £5 a day which seems horrendous with Scottish Power, 4 bed, detached.

Ditto, have two dehumidifiers on for about 4hours a day each, have two freezers, two fridges,energy saving lamps

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Seems that your leccy cost is high compared to mine - how are you using that much also? I've got the wife, 2 kids, I do have LEDs everywhere, multiple outside lights on from dusk to 2am, internal lights across the house from dusk to 11:30pm, 6 Alexas, Google Home, 6 Sonos, NAS, 10 switches, 5 fridges, 2 freezers, 3 nests thermostats, nest cams, PS4s and no gas - so oven and hob are electric also. I can't believe that I am that efficient!
Apart from 5 fridges, I’m two less! I’ve got about the same - but I’ve got a very large heated floor that’s electric. Also have a beefy router that uses a lot of power but I’m sure it’s the floor that’s doing it.

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
Apart from 5 fridges, I’m two less! I’ve got about the same - but I’ve got a very large heated floor that’s electric. Also have a beefy router that uses a lot of power but I’m sure it’s the floor that’s doing it.

Marvello

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Oldham, Greater Manchester
Think I may be switching to Bulb so I'll use your link if I do. Has the projected cost of energy gone up a lot for everyone this year? My E.ON quote is up from £733 to £962. Bulb will save me £94 (plus £50 using the referral link).

I'm a low energy user with Gas: 9742kWh, Electric: 2641kWh per year.

OP
OP
Sgt GrizZ

Sgt GrizZ

Staff member
Jul 21, 2011
Think I may be switching to Bulb so I'll use your link if I do. Has the projected cost of energy gone up a lot for everyone this year? My E.ON quote is up from £733 to £962. Bulb will save me £94 (plus £50 using the referral link).

I'm a low energy user with Gas: 9742kWh, Electric: 2641kWh per year.
Good news you can make a saving with Bulb :thumbs:

Yeah - energy on the rise for everyone.