What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switches acting up

paddythegreek

Site Supporter
Alias
Ken
On a 8 ball deluxe whilst in a 2 player game it decided to jump from player 1 to player 2 as i launched ball 2. I've gone into sw test and it gets even more bizzare. If i'm holding the ball and move it over a rolloverwire switch it fires a pop bumper.Three of the switches fire pop bumpers, one fires a sling. This applies to the 2 inlanes and the 2 outlanes. I've checked the 4148 diodes on these switches and they read as good. If i press the switch with my finger it works fine. It's like i'm grounding the switch. Any ideas anyone

Ok an update. Pop bumpers and one sling fires if i have a hand resting on the side rail with the ball in my other hand. If i'm not touching the side rail it's fine

Don’t touch the side rails whilst touching the switches. Your body is creating a path to earth that the cpu can detect. As this machine uses leaf switches and not micro switches the exposed wire is directly in contact with the switch matrix signals.

It’s normal for this behaviour when touching the grounded side rails.

Your fault lies elsewhere.

Cheers for the info.
I only have one fault now.
In game play hitting either sling fires both. In sw test both fire when its the l or r that should fire. I replaced both 4148 diodes on each sling switch along with the sw diode before and after the sling switches in the column
The continuity from the mpu to the sol drive bd is fine and i even swopped the solenoid bd but it's still the same.

No idea, but I'd be interested to know how the diagnostics are behaving.

In SW test do you see the correct switch number reported for each sling switch as you close them?

In Solenoid test do they fire individually or still together?

Do either of the slingshot switches have cap's across them? None are shown in the schematic.

In sw test i get one number show up for the sling sw i'm activating NOT two.
In sol test the left fires but also fires the right. The right fires but also fires the left.
No caps on either sling sw

Just realised as well it won't put 2 numbers up. It registers the lowest no only unlike later mc's that register all switches closed. 8 is the outhole so pressing any sw with a number above 8 don't show up

Yes, so when you close the Right slingshot you see 36 and Left 37 (assuming no lower switches are closed). Seeing 37 correctly tells us that it's not reporting switch 36 too.

Is it possible that the wires that control each solenoid are shorting? They are next to each other on A3 J2.

I had a similar symptom on my flash gordon when I first got it,both bottom playfield pop bumpers were firing at the same time,it turned out to be a fault in the wiring loom,patching in a replacement cable solved the problem

Ok to clarify, pressing the left sling sw shows no 37 only BUT fires both slings. Pressing the right sling shows 36 only BUT fires both slings.
I just spent an hr checking continuity from sw to sw on the column and same on the rows. All readings are low as you would expect, nothing to indicate a short anywhere.
I will check the plug that goes on A3-J2 as i already swapped the sol bd.

Ok we might have found the problem. Looking at A3-J4 plug (momentary solenoids pb0--pb3) someone has inserted the wires very poorly. It don't look like a proper insertion tool was used resulting in strands of wire touching the next wire. I seperated the wires and tried it. YES we now have one sling firing instead of two so i'm off to reseat them using the proper tool. Fingers crossed it's gonna be ok

Ok firstly its working/playing fine. I did cut the wires and insert them using a proper tool.
Thanks for peoples help.
Secondly, as you've helped with usefull advice i'll let you get away with the V****r jibe but that was your free go. Tomorrow is another day.

Back
Top Bottom