What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STTNG - Pinball missing problem..

highjon

Registered
Hi guys

Been fixing a STTNG that had over 12 faults when I first got it. Seems to be running fine now with one exception.

After Final frontier / multiball it loses a ball, when checking where they are I find two in the borg shooter and 4 in the ball trough. It tries to do a ball search but doesnt fire the solenoids that have a ball in position.

Have checked the ball trough for divots etc and all the optos are responding correctly. All other underplayfield optos are also working fine.

Any ideas guys as I need this working for our meet on Sunday

cheers

John

John, sorry to jump in your thread but im having sttng ball problems! On the theme of missing balls on sttng, mine occasionally doesn't register when a ball has drained. It's random, may go 20 games no problem then it won't register. Eventually the machine will fire off a few coils and pop a ball out of the left vuk and when that ball drains it generally registers it and sorts itself out.

I know Andy Netherwood replaced the connector plug last week so its not that and on single switch test all trough optos are fine!

I'm thinking it may be the opto board (of which I have a spare) but all seems well in test mode!

Rather annoying really I can't fathom it so any suggestions gratefully received.

Gaz

Gaz, put the game in switch mode and use the flipper buttons / thump the side of the cabinet repeatedly, to see if there is an intermittent switch problem. You could also reflow the solder on the connector pins to rule out hairline cracks and also check the path in the trough in case of slight divot(s) which stop the ball moving.

Moonraker' date=' post: 1693623 said:
Gaz, put the game in switch mode and use the flipper buttons / thump the side of the cabinet repeatedly, to see if there is an intermittent switch problem. You could also reflow the solder on the connector pins to rule out hairline cracks and also check the path in the trough in case of slight divot(s) which stop the ball moving.

Thanks mate. I'll try those things. I'm off on hols for 3 weeks plus it's half stripped ready for shopping, so I'll let you know how I go In about 2 months when it's back together!!!

At least yours will fire it out during ball search, my left lower vuk doesnt fire during ball search(if a ball is in position) so the second one in queue doesnt roll forward.

If there is no ball in the vuk it will fire on ball search.

Good luck anyways Gaz

john

Hhhmmmmm maybe it's the opto in the vuk then. I'm still trying to get my head round How the balls move around that subway and how many should be where?

Problem sorted, fault due to a previous bodge.

I am not familiar with STTNG and was calling the left hand vuk the borg lock, why?

because that is what the display said when testing that switch! Someone had swapped over the wires at the 16 way opto board so the display was telling me the opto under the lhs vuk was the borg lock, crazy yes. swwapped pin 2 to 8 and vice versa, not both lines of the optos, only one leg, seems to have been a botch to get it to play, which it did until it lost a ball.

Checked the manual wiring and sure enough 2 and 8 were swapped over.

Now working fine.

Seems to be that there will be a ball at each vuk underplayfield ( 3) and 3 balls in the trough at game start.

John

Back
Top Bottom