What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STTNG crackling sound

Gonzo

Registered
Alias
Kris
Hi folks, very odd issue but I'm sure that one of you clever fellows will know what's going on.

Does it change if you adjust the volume.
Are the screws holding the board tight?

I had similar issue once, and I fixed it by replacing the big capacitors.
Don't forget, that game us over 25 years old and that's getting old for a capacitor!

Don't forget, that game us over 25 years old and that's getting old for a capacitor!

Yes indeed, the louder I turn up the volume the more clarity the sound has.

+1 for replacing big caps, was also on my sttng and fixed the crackle, I was a newbie at the time so sent board to @pinballmania

Not always as simple as the main ac filter caps I’m afraid though and not worth just changing random parts. I’d be starting more in the tant cap area of the audio amp/pre amp section.

if you want to send to me @Gonzo I can sort out for you no worries

Just a recommendation for Jim’s board repairs my BoP board was dead and Jim brought it back to life. Turnaround was a week.

But also pinmania did a great job overhauling my nine ball! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not always as simple as the main ac filter caps I’m afraid though and not worth just changing random parts. I’d be starting more in the tant cap area of the audio amp/pre amp section.

+1 for replacing big caps, was also on my sttng and fixed the crackle, I was a newbie at the time so sent board to @pinballmania

Just a recommendation for Jim’s board repairs my BoP board was dead and Jim brought it back to life. Turnaround was a week.

But also pinmania did a great job overhauling my nine ball! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks folks. I've had a few bits and pieces from Jim before so that sounds like a plan.

As much as I'm happy to get my hands dirty, a circuit board is probably a step too far.

I can solder pretty good but I don’t have the skills to diagnose faults apart from seeing the obvious things.
I wouId send it off to the experts to diagnose and repair. Be back in no time.
Sound boards can be pretty tricky to track faults down.

With regards to capacitors, that are over 25years old it is good to replace them anyway just for preventative maintenance , if someone is comfortable in doing them, and their skills don't wreck a board.
But I understand what your saying.
In this case sending to @myPinballs makes sense, as sure he will get it back to the op in 10 days or so.

With regards to capacitors, that are over 25years old it is good to replace them anyway just for preventative maintenance , if someone is comfortable in doing them, and their skills don't wreck a board.
But I understand what your saying.
In this case sending to @myPinballs makes sense, as sure he will get it back to the op in 10 days or so.

Yeah thanks, Jim is getting it this week so it should all be sorted soon 👍

Back
Top Bottom