What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stroke recovery update...

Spadge

Registered
Hi everyone here’s a brief update on how I’m progressing with my recovery post stroke.

- Stroke happened early September 2018
- Was in hospital a month
- Lost control of my right side, being right handed that sucked. Unable to walk and in a wheelchair initially.
- Now been at home 5 weeks, been off work
- now managing to walk (hobble) slowly, in house unaided and further with stick (walked 2km at the weekend to the pub and back, took a while!)
- Regained some/limited movement and control of my right middle finger when my hand is relaxed.
- no driving as yet
- left hand improved (was right handed)
- everything typed on phone using left

Pinball related:

- can launch ball with right hand (skill shots can wait)
- no flipper control with right
- can do most maintenance but struggle with simpler tasks that definitely require both hands
- the walking dead and Iron Maiden both arrived since and I’ve fitted quite a few mods and additions. Pinstadiums, speakers, lights, shakers, translites etc
- can manage Playfield lifting (left arm) and glass removal/replacement ok but tough with one arm,
- still ordering more mods etc
- have won the odd game using one hand to control everything (wide bodies are tough)

What a challenge. I wonder if you could rig up a temporary second button on the left that is wired into the right? Wouldn't be good for retraining the arm but it might get you playing again.

Good luck in your ongoing recovery.

Good to see progress.

I was wondering what the doctors orders are since you had the stroke? Are they telling you to do or not do anything specifically?

Neil.

What a challenge. I wonder if you could rig up a temporary second button on the left that is wired into the right? Wouldn't be good for retraining the arm but it might get you playing again.

Good luck in your ongoing recovery.

Cheers, it had crossed my mind but I think it’s better if my brain try’s to control my right and may be more therapeutic doing so. If I use my left then my brain won’t bother to retrain.

Mid term aim is to play properly, I wasn’t a great player so it’s not as if I need leet skills back ;)

Good to see progress.

I was wondering what the doctors orders are since you had the stroke? Are they telling you to do or not do anything specifically?

Neil.

Docs mantra is as much repetitive exercise of affected limbs as possible, in theory to urge neuroplasticity to reconstruct connections as need be. This is best done up yo six months after, so I’ve got 3-4 months of best case brain :)

Try not to get frustrated over what you can't do right now. If you give your body time to repair you will be back to your usual form before you know it. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Try not to get frustrated over what you can't do right now. If you give your body time to repair you will be back to your usual form before you know it. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Cheers durzel ive kept in fair spirits. So many stories of good outcomes, so I have to hope or there will 10 great machines for sale!

Great that you're using pinball to get back healthy, should be able to get to my IMDN later to have a go left handed

Back
Top Bottom