What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stern of the union... eng update

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Engineering Updates:
We will be releasing instructions on how to create a complete SD card for a SPIKE system Stern pinball machine. We will also be releasing a manual and schematics of the SPIKE system by the end of the month.

In reality what does releasing the schematics mean? Will someone really be able to fix node boards now they have access to the schematics? What other benefits are there to releasing them?

@Marvello - hacking them for visual pinball.....

Seriously some chips on the PCBs are changeable but you do need schematics to fault find.

I would if they will release the Spike and Spike 2 schematics......

Was only talking to Mr Palmer about this today.

Time to get a microscope and hot air reworker........

@Wizcat - I hope so but that will depend on microcode which stern owns. Looking at whats in the game downloads I don't see any attempt to secure or sign the microcode so in theory its doable subject to the Stern empire coming at you from a legal POV.

linked to above it will be interesting to figure out how firmware and the flashing of microcode to these boards are part of the problem also. I'm hopeful that once the electrical parts are sorted that they can be upgraded when you stick them in the game but also concerned they might be bricked. getting a handle on the chipset the use might allow unbricking.

Ahh, hadn't realised there was logic in the individual boards too. Still. Where there's a will and all that ;)

I can’t see anyone reproducing them nobody has bothered with any modern stern board and they are not that expensive on a exchange basis again just because you have schematics you still have to find the fault and fix it and it weather you value spending hours doing this it going to be limited few who would be able to do this some of the chips on that board are super micro

In reality what does releasing the schematics mean? Will someone really be able to fix node boards now they have access to the schematics? What other benefits are there to releasing them?

With the schematics , repairs to them are more likely possible because known faults can be traced more easily through the designs along with a greater understanding of the technology in use. This has been needed for years, ie since kiss was released

Back
Top Bottom