What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Indiana Jones Code Rewrite & Port Over Progress

Ok, so the 3 challenges mode is now roughed in with the changes. The mode now works as follows:

Shoot right ramp to begin. A random arrow shot is lit. Shoot this to complete the first challenge, but do it quickly otherwise it will move to another position.

Shoot right ramp again to start challenge 2. This time 2 random arrow shots are lit. Shoot both to complete the second challenge. Again if you don't do it quickly enough they will move.

Shoot right ramp again to start challenge 3. This time 3 random arrow shots are lit. Shoot all 3 to complete the third challenge and end the mode. Again if you don't do it quickly enough they will move.

Mode is timed, 30 seconds and is paused whenever you shoot the right ramp to being a challenge.

Will be testing this later, when i want a break from squawk & talk sound board assembly :)

Quick Update: Been really busy with board assembly recently so progress has been slower, though i have now just added full operation of Mr Swordsman in to the streets of cairo mode, so he opens and closes for this and flashes as shots are achieved. Wanted to try and include him a bit more into relevant modes.

Also, added a shaker motor to my game and added the control and settings for this. At the mo, there are little rumbles for the ark shot and bigger ones for a jackpot achieved.

Also, spent quite awhile improving the launch of the ball from the trough and shooter lane, which included some code changes and also installing a stern service upgrade kit. There is a kit for this game with improved plunger lengths etc to make the device stronger. Worth making sure you have this installed. My launch is now super strong every time pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif

Now working on modifying the switch test mode for a better representation on stern games. The matrix here is 16x4 , not 9x8 like on wpc. Also looking at some mode pausing functionality updates later to. I have the ability to pause a mode when the ball moves away from the flippers or the target involved, but need to add rules for pausing a mode when a higher priority event starts such as multiball. That way a running mode isn't timed out when you get back after a multiball etc. Also need to fix dog fight as the animations aren't playing right at the mo. They are hidden below other events

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 16.44.01.png

I love this sort of stuff.
I'd love even more to be able to do it.
But past the basic stuff I just don't have the head for it.

video of some updated game play from a few months back. Need to take another now as things have moved forward again This vid is code. v0.2.2

In the vid, I managed to get some of the newer modes started like the 3 challenges in one of the games. Also shows some new additions for volume control at the start, the addition of the led flash lamp control basics, the addition of more lamp shows for things like going into the mode start, ball launch and ball end etc. There is a crash at the end with the frankenstein mystery mode which is now fixed, but the vid is 18 mins long with plenty of good footage.

also a pic of the volume control additions from testing on my dev laptop

aa64b2d1a17f4794d261f3653508ef709ae73e6c.png.jpg

Got some time this weekend so working on fixing a few things and adding a little nod to my new game purchase (ghostbusters pro)

Loopin' Jackpots!

Here's a few screen shots of development. The rule is hit the ark a certain number of times during a game to activate. (default to 50) then a timed mode starts where you get 10 million + per each ramp shot, so 10 mil, 20 mil, 30 mil, 40 mil etc etc All other modes are stopped/paused whilst this round occurs.

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.24.png Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.27.png Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.28.png Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.33.png Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.38 1.png Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.38 2.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.38.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 22.29.38.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 9
Nice work there Jim.
Looking forward to the next installment of how to make a terrible machine a great machine.

Nice work there Jim.
Looking forward to the next installment of how to make a terrible machine a great machine.

Love this sort of dedication. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Thanks guys. Will hopefully be getting it to some shows this year again for all to play and see the update from last years early code. I may look for another stern indy game to use for shows later as my current one is 2 floors up in my office :)

Also, if someone wants to lend me a game for a show then that would be handy to.

And i'm looking for people wanting to test the code on their games.

Last edited:
Software code repro updated with my latest code - v0.3.0

Find it here: https://github.com/mypinballs/sternindianajones

Update Notes are:

v0.3.0 Update
- Added Swordman Mechanism control
- Added Loopin Jackpots mode
- Added a missing jet (top) into the jet modes scoring logic
- Added shaker control and adjustments
- Added seperate monster modes bonus screen
- Added Fish Tales music option for fish treasure to settings and totem mode
- Added new transition to totem multiball start and Quick Multiball graphic
- Improved Swordsman interaction to Street of Cairo mode
- Improved service mode and settings display and control
- Improved Mode pausing during Multiball
- Improved Multiball interaction with other modes
- Improved Dog Fight display, was being hidden behind lock animations
- Improved Mode start score defaults, some modes were scoring 0 if no shots were made
- Fixed a problem with the shoot again animation displaying at ball start
- Fixed a problem with the 2x scoring flasher not being cancelled at ball drain after totem multiball was enabled
- Fixed a problem with Frankenstein Millions and bonus music playing correctly after a center ball drain
- Lots of bug fixes

Here's how the new hardware looks and what you need to install if you want to upgrade your old stern indy. I'm thinking i can do 2 types of kits. A drop in type approach and an SSD drive and the blank mount pates if you want get your own shuttle computer and lcd monitor parts etc

IMG_5807.JPG IMG_5808.jpg

Working on a few more add ons to the code.

- Added a rule to allow Get The Idol to award locks if the temple is shot during the mode for completion. Enable/Disable settings added
- Added lots of new speech from the IJ4 resource
- Added attract mode speech from flipper presses
- Added some new speech to mine cart mode
- Started work on bringing the 8 ball mech into the code base. The idea is the regular multiball will have an option to be qualified for 8 instead of 3 by completing a series of JONES bank targets during regular game play. If completed before 3 regular locks are made, the multiball will be 8 instead of 3. Kind of like apollo 13's blast off rules. I may also add a rule to pass and just get 3 still maybe.
- Tweaks to the mode pausing on three challenges when the main ramp is shot and the ball is held. Currently the timer is running down a little too much whilst the mode sets up your required shots.
- Spinners, what to do with them? How to add into loop mode already there?

Also started building kits for people. Get in touch if you want to get one and help test/refine the code

Put together a quick feature list of the game features so far: (Also added as a pdf file for download)

• Pop Bumper Raiders fight scene with Super Jets
• Indy targets friends collection & bonus multiplier
• Jones targets qualify for 8 ball main multiball
• Plane Chase via main ramp
• Hand of Fate mystery mode
• Totem quick multiball at captive ball (2 ball with add a ball)
• MAP letters build totem jackpot
• Path of Adventure mode
• Main multiball locks via temple mech - virtual locks
• Main multiball 3 ball with 4 film jackpots & super jackpot - 3 ball
• Get The Idol film scene mode
• Street of Cairo film scene mode with swordsman mech interaction
• Well of Souls film scene mode - 4 ball multiball
Raven Bar film scene video mode
• Monkey Brains film scene mode
• Steel The Stones film scene mode
• Mine Cart film scene video mode
• Rope Bridge film scene mode
• Castle Brunwald film scene mode
• The 3 Challenges film scene mode
• Tank Chase film scene mode
• Choose Wisely film scene video mode
• Jones vs Aliens scene mode
• Secret werewolf attack video mode
• Secret Frankenstein Millions mode
• Full Colour screen graphics and fonts
• Stackable main multiball when quick multiball running
• Add a ball in quick multiball via mode start shot
• Game pause
• High Score table with separate Adventure and Treasure collection champion scores
• Additional Settings/Mode adjustment/Refinements
• Moonlight madness
• Raiders Warehouse Match feature
• Service mode
• Equaliser Graphical Volume adjust

If you want to upgrade your old naff stern indy then get in touch :)

Attachments

• indiana jones rewrite feature list.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 3
First few kits being built up and heading state side

IMG_6027.JPG IMG_6028.JPGIMG_5979.JPGIMG_5976.JPG IMG_6025.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5977.JPG
    IMG_5977.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 6
The custom machined plywood LCD mount panels arrived today :) Was going to spray them black, but not sure now as they look awesome! Lazer cut

IMG_6193.jpg IMG_6194.JPG IMG_6195.JPG

Some screen shots of updates to the service mode. Lamp and Coil tests needed some work from the WMS versions i had done previously due to the differing grid layouts. Plus i wanted to add a few extra pieces of info in there. Lamp test is just single lamps at the mo, but may add row/col and all on/off in there to instead of separately. Service modes can get forgotten about with this type of project, but its pretty important to still maintain test functionality and not loose sight of this.

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 21.47.07.png Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 20.48.06.png

So there are a few 'slots' left to make new modes for the 'crystal skull' modes. One of these is the Jones vs Aliens mode that i've talked about before but i'm coding a new one now called 'Warehouse Raid'

This will be a 2 ball multiball mode where the idea is to locate items in warehouse 51, including the alien remains. The mode will work by shooting the main ramp to lock a ball into the holding area, then shoot the other ball around the ramp to release this ball and locate a warehouse item. The items will range from 5 mil to 20 mil (for the alien). The mode ends when the balls in play return to 1 after a grace period.

All being well i should have this mode up and running and included for the PlayExpo event in October here in the UK. I'm currently finalising borrowing a game for inclusion on my stand on the Saturday (so i don't have to move my dev game down 2 flights of stairs and back up like last year), so you should be able to play the game in its latest form during the day. Lots of work on it since last years early demo

Some screen shots of the dev on warehouse raid

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 22.44.14.png Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 22.59.59.png

You sir are a legend, That's a lot of programming and you should work for Stern!

Indy will be running v0.4.1 code this weekend coming.

Moved downstairs from my dev office and reassembled ready for the journey on friday

IMG_7057.JPG IMG_7056.jpg IMG_7058.jpg

Change log for v0.4.0 was

v0.4.0 Update …
- Added New Mode - Warehouse Raid
- Reordered Crystal Skull mode order on playfield
- Fixed issues with Service mode Software Update
- Added Service Mode Reboot Game option
- Added High Score Entry
- Added High Score Initials Celebration
- Added Loopin' Ramp Champion to High scores
- Added Lamp control to Pop Bumper mode
- Updated Video modes to handle Pop bumper lamps

v0.4.1 includes updates to the mode interaction with the temple qm mode, music sync improvements, ball search fixes and a few others things. Its not been released to other users of my system yet, so is a small NLP exclusive :) Will be being rolled out to general availability after the show

Back home sunday night by 10pm ish. Unloaded and had a rest monday along with putting stuff away slowly. Indy back upstairs and now setup again in my study on top floor.

Big thanks to all the pinheads who stopped by and played Indy giving me their views and adding more game play data. In particular @replicas , @ronsplooter ,@Wizards_Hat , @Davey D , @Sven Normansson, Terry & friend, @Big Phil &friends :thumbs:

I've been having a little look at a few issues hi-lighted by the extended playing and have a fix for one which was related to a memory leak in the framework provided with the proc. Also would like some detailed info (from any pin players) on what stern do control wise when the trough stacks 2 balls on top of themselves near the eject. :)

Hot on the heels of the Play Expo show is update v0.4.1

Notes are as follows:

v0.4.1 Update
- Fixed an issue with Ball Search that prevented it form starting
- Fixed a crash in multiball when jackpots lit
- Fixed colour issues with a POA graphic
- Improvements with mode interaction and temple qm mode
- Improvements to mode music syncing
- Improvements to dog fight logic and cleanup if ball drains during mode active
- Fixed a bug with dog fight not showing score total after collected
- Added a new graphic background for dog fight hurry up
- Improvements to Loopin Jackpot if ball drains during mode active
- Improved shoot again animation display
- Improved Extra Ball collected animation display
- Trough now handles bounce backs correctly
- Trough now checks for stacked balls when working out if trough is full
- Fixed a bug in match where old score digits were not cleared on subsequent games
- Added totem pause feature for use with video modes
- Adjusted the lock animation to suppress mode bonus graphics if ball locked while mode running
- Adjusted cancel sound in service mode for utility features

Glad the show found out quite a few more bugs for you to fix.
After playing and being very impressed with all your had work in putting this machine together it's one step closer to a finished project.
Keep up the good work Jim.

Back
Top Bottom