What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern IJ4 (The MyPinballs re-write)

Davey D

Site Supporter
Ive had my IJ4 re-write up and running a little while now so i thought i'd do a little review on it.

I first played the early version of this at NLP 2015 and really enjoyed playing it. So much so that i asked Jim @myPinballs back then about costs for kit, but at the time it was still very early and nothing was in the pipeline yet.

Earlier this year Jim had started to post up more details about the setup how it was coming along, and kits were going to be available so I set the ball rolling with buying the parts needed whilst i kept on the lookout for an IJ4. I finally managed to pick one up in June, and by then i had all the parts needed.

When I got the IJ4 home i played it for a week or so in its original STERN setup as i hadn't played it much in its original form. It looked nice and was fun to play, but as all the reviews state - it has no depth, with not much in the way of goals or rewards, or the feeling of advancing anywhere other that the movie cutscenes... speaking of which - the movie cut scenes on the DMD are awful quality. I really didnt feel bad for wanting to rip it out and replace it.

With the kit you need to buy the P-Roc controller either direct from USA, or if anywhere in europe has any in stock

You can then buy the rest of the setup from MyPinballs.

There is an option you can take which is either sticking to the original DMD, or install an LCD monitor which uses a graphics style to look like a colour DMD. For how much extra the screen costs i thought it was a no brainer going for colour as it really enhances the game.

Installation was easy as long as you can follow instructions. The hardest part being swapping out the Stern SAM board to replace with the PROC as you have to label up where each plug came from on the STERN, and then look at the reference chart to see where that then plugs to on the PROC board. Most of the connectors had a key, and were different sizes so you couldnt go that far wrong.

The game now feels COMPLETELY transformed. Yes it is a modern stern game to look at the cabinet and playfield, but to play the game with all the original rules and animations it feels like a classic 90's Williams game to play. You have LOTS of tasks to get through including video modes, and some secret modes. There is a sense of progression where you are building up to bonuses, and level progressions.

Jim has done a great job in colouring the animations which brings the feel of the game up to date with the modern bright playfield

The game is still quite new so he's still working on updates, tweaks and extra modes for the future

I've only played the original a few times, so all the rules are still new to me, but anyone who has played the original should be right at home getting in to play this.

There is a support forum setup for the people who have this game so we can discuss updates/new features, or any problems we might have with the game. You are not just lumbered with a game that you have to sort out yourself, He's been great coming back with answers, tips and info

If you really fancy the Williams IJ game, but cant find one, or dont want to splash out the going rate on one, then i would definitely recommend trying one of these setups instead.

There will be a machine at NLP 2016 running the latest code so would urge you to try it if you are there as it really has turned an average game into a corker!

Great review and I think you may have started a new idea. Somebody off the site could post a short review of a game that is not so well known.
We have all done the Bally/Williams classics to death but not everybody has played (or even seen) some of the older games or some of the rarer Sterns.

Pinball News excellent reviews are always helpful but it would be nice to hear from average Joes and their experiences with these lesser known games.

Back
Top Bottom