What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars by Sonic/Segasa

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
There's pretty much no info about this game that I can find on the internet so as well as putting up a shop log and then doing some videos for my Youtube channel I thought I'd stick a post up about the rules as I start to figure them out. I don't think it's going to be possible to fully understand this game until after I've shopped it as there's quite a few bulbs out so it's a bit tricky figuring out what's happening at the moment :D

I got an original manual with the game and have translated it (using Google Translate as my Spanish is crap) but that really only covers dip switch settings for setting number of balls, high score levels, credits per coin etc. There is an original instruction card in the game which I've also translated which has helped a bit :thumbs:

First off, here's a pic of the playfield and then some close ups of the main features. In Pinball News style I'll go clockwise round the playfield :)

IMG_8644.jpg

The game has a standard inlane/outlane arrangement, nothing special or weird here. First main feature is the STAR target bank of the left:

IMG_8647.jpg

Above the target bank is the left orbit shot which normally feeds the ball into the pops or sometimes will go all the way round and come back through the right orbit. Also in this area of the playfield is the Cyclotron which is basically just a bowel ramp with a switch at it's entrance and an up/down ramp to get the ball into it. When the Cyclotron is lit, the ramp drops down and shooting the left orbit puts the ball into it:

IMG_8639.jpg

In between the left orbit and the inner loop is the W target (part of the WARS set of targets):

IMG_8648.jpg

The inner loop is just above this target and also feeds back into the pops. Balls coming out of the Cyclotron land in the inner loop.

Above the inner loop is the A/B/C target bank:

IMG_8654.jpg

Right in the middle of the game at the top are the three pop bumpers in the traditional square Spanish style :)

IMG_8636.jpg

In front of the bottom pop bumper is the A/R target (part of the WARS set of targets). There's only 1 target for both letters. The laser beams from the Millennium Falcon point at this target (more on them in a bit):

IMG_8650.jpg

On the right of this target are the two spinners and there lanes. The inner left spinner goes into a short lane that comes back into the right orbit and feeds the upper right flipper. The outer right spinner goes into the right orbit which feeds the right ramp:

IMG_8656.jpg

In the very far back right corner of the game is the right ramp entrance. This wire form ramp crosses the playfield and returns the ball to the left inlane:

IMG_8658.jpg

Coming down the playfield from the right orbit is the upper right flipper. It seems to be able to hit the W target, the inner loop and maybe the A on the A/B/C target bank. Just below this flipper is the S target which is the final one in the WARS target set:

IMG_8653.jpg

Just below that is there the ball comes out of the shooter lane and then you're back to the right inlane/outlane and flipper. The final thing on the tour of the playfield is the Millennium Falcon right in the middle between the slings:

IMG_8660.jpg

You can see the laser beams coming out of the gun and going up the playfield. These point at the A/R target with the picture of the exploding Tie Fighter and looks like metal strips.

Here's a first stab at the rules :D

Skillshot

A full plunge sends the ball part way round the inner loop but it doesn't make it all the way so will roll back out.The skillshot seems to be to try and plunge for the W target that's between the left orbit and inner loop.

Most of the scoring seems to be linked to 2 main objectives, completing the STAR and WARS targets but from what I can tell at the moment they are linked to separate scoring features....maybe :)

STAR targets

This is the area that still needs a lot of figuring out. There is a set of inserts to spell S, T, A and R then another set of 4 inserts under the red cockpits of the Tie Fighters and then another 5 inserts to the right of the Tie Fighters that you can only see when they are lit (they're in the blue area).

IMG_8646.jpg

The first time you hit the targets you light the STAR inserts and when you complete them the first time it also lights a couple of the hidden inserts that say "1x" and "Attack Enemy".

Every completion after that changes the "1x" to "2x" then "4x" and the 1 and 4 etc etc. I don't think this is the bonus multiplyer as that's shown elsewhere and increased via different targets so I think it's something to do with killing Tie Fighters. Based on my translation of the instruction card I think you're supposed to activate the Cyclotron and shoot up the up/down ramp on the right orbit. All of the GI flashes and I think this is how you destroy the Tie Fighters as the Attack Enemy light goes out and some of the red cockpit inserts start blinking.

Maybe the multiplyer here increases the value you get for killing Tie Fighters? There's also something to do with shooting the blinking Tie Fighter targets because they're only blink for a bit before going out but if you hit them while blinking they light solid. There's a lot of dead bulbs in this area so it needs more work to figure out what you're really supposed to do here :hmm:

WARS Targets

This has been a bit easier to figure out :) Each target has the same letter insert and red cockpit insert that the STAR targets to and I think the cockpit inserts are linked to killing Tie Fighters as I've sort of described in the previous section. Completing the WARS inserts by hitting the 3 targets (A and R are lit from the single middle target) increases the Laser Value shown on the Millennium Falcon:

IMG_8662.jpg

The first time you spell WARS lights the 50K, the 2nd time lights 100K, third time lights 1M and the 4th lights Special. Special seems to be a Free Game and I don't think it can be changed so the best scoring is to get the 1M lit.

The WARS targets also increase the value of both spinners from 1K to 2K and to a maximum of 4K a spin....I think.

Completing the targets only lights the Laser Value though, it doesn't collect it :) To activate the Laser you have to shoot the right ramp in the far back corner of the playfield. This lights an insert in front of the exploding Tie Fighter called "Fire Laser"

IMG_8651.jpg

This is another one of those hidden inserts (it's in the yellow below the cockpit) that you can only see when lit. With "Fire Laser" lit you now have to shoot the A/R target to blow up the Tie Fighter. When you do this the metal laser strips running up the middle of the playfield pulse with light and you collect whatever the lit Laser value is. This doesn't reset the Laser value so to keep collecting it you shoot the ramp to relight "Fire Laser" and then hit the target again. If you could get the 1M value setup and then keep doing this then you're score could get big quick. This is the biggest scoring strategy in the game based on my current limited understanding :thumbs:

A/B/C Targets

This is how you activate the Cyclotron. Completing A, B and C makes the up/down ramp come down so you can shoot the left orbit into the Cyclotron. It also increases your bonus multiplyer by 1 step. Each subsequent completion increases your bonus x and will also re-activate the Cyclotron if it's not already.

Other Stuff

Hitting most things on the playfield increases your end of ball bonus and this is shown in the green squares on the Millennium Falcon. The highest numbered square is 32K but then it starts lighting multiple squares at once and I've not figured out the maximum yet :)

There are also insert over both inlanes and outlanes that award points plus something else that I'm not sure about...pics to follow.

There are extra balls and specials linked to the whole STAR targets, attacking enemy Tie Fighters thing but I don't get how that works yet.

One weird thing is that the inner loop doesn't seem to do anything in terms of scoring. There's no switch in there (unlike the left orbit) so it kind of seems a pointless shot as you can sort of get loops going from the upper right flipper but I don't think they score anything :confused:

More to come as I figure things out. I've also started taking the game to bits so a shop log will be coming soon. I'll post up the Spanish instruction card plus my translation to see if anyone who knows a bit of the lingo can help with that :thumbs:

Last edited:
thats one iv not seen in a long long time, used to be one in the jester at southport and one along with a sonic pole position upstairs in lucky star in blackpool

@PUP can you shed any light on the rules? Especially what the deal is with the STAR targets and attacking the Tie Fighters?

I had the one off blackpool prom in 1994 where it had sat since new. had it for a few months but cant remember what you actually had to do. could be mean and say its better than the trilogy but its certainly rarer.

Back
Top Bottom