What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stages of pinball ownership

DRD

Registered
Having been on the forum for a few months, and having read quite a few posts from a variety of folk...... I wonder whether there are some clearly identifiable stages of ownership which can be grouped under two headings - the rational and the irrational.

THE RATIONAL
1. Thinking about it. This can be for many years before you jump in. In my case from childhood until my mid 20s
2. Getting the first game, this lived in my lounge/spare room as I moved around the country
3. Getting more games, for which you have a sensibly allocated space. Storing the spares and tools in neat plastic boxes below the games. I have 4 berths in my home office, so my house is calm. No one sees any games or parts of games lying around when they visit. My shed, garage etc are all quite normal and storing what you would expect in there

THE IRRATIONAL
4. Crossing the rubicon. Getting more games than you have sensibly allocated space for. I am potentially crossing this rubicon soon, so am wondering whether I sell one, or squeeze one in my currently pinball free garage. Or clear out my garden shed. Or whether I run the risk of a row by putting it in my lounge.
5. Becoming a hoarder. Having so many games that you have now filled your kitchen, 10m garden shed, garage, workshop so you have to start housing them off site, in storage containers, at friends etc

Hanging at #2 for the moment.

Keep getting tempted to buy another Pin but being held back by the prospect of buying a bigger place. That and the fact i've got a honeymoon to pay for and the wife would take the garden shears to my nuts if I spent the honeymoon fund. To be fair she's more reasonable than all my ex's as they'd have never allowed a Pin even in the house.

Stage 3 myself, I can nicely fit 3 machines at the back of my semi-converted gamesroom garage in a line and have space towards the front for a multicade, work area and some storage although a freezer/tumble dryer live in there as well. I occasionally cross into stage 4 when @I TiltAlot offers up a game for loan which is too good to pass up on...:D

3 but thinking more and more in a pre-4 fashion. Thoughts such as "If I cut my home office desk in half could I squeeze one more in the pin shack?"

Stage 5 here. House full at 1 pin (actually 3 now as wife away), garage full, rented lockup filling fast, 3 games out on loan. And I want more. I'm thinking of when I move to my retirement mansion with space for loads.

actually 3 now as wife away
I like your style! I do that when she's not here. Bring a playfield in and put it on the dining table to work on without little comments like "That's not staying there all evening, is it?" Next time she's away for a week I'm going to drag a whole ruddy pin in just for the hell of it!

Stage 5 here. House full at 1 pin (actually 3 now as wife away), garage full, rented lockup filling fast, 3 games out on loan. And I want more. I'm thinking of when I move to my retirement mansion with space for loads.

She still not letting you have more than one pin in the house then?

> 4

2 at home (because that's all we really have room for right now).
3 at work, 140miles away, but playable when i'm in that office and they're being well looked after.
2 in a safe storage location nearby, but not playable.

Oh ****.

4 going on 5 I think.. always room for one more ;)

Been at Stage 5 for too long :rolleyes:

Always seem to have 1 too many in the Shack, folded up :rolleyes: 2 out on loan/storage with south coast pinheads. Poor old TZ hasnt been home for 4 years :tut: Space Station in permanent orbit at Mamma GrizZs.

I seem to be forever on the verge of the 'big cull' ...ie get down to single figures again.....but never quite seem to be able to follow thru. Sgt GrizZ has been thru a lot with some of these boys, I can't just turn them loose :cool:

I don't understand how you guys get yourself in so much trouble. I am at stage 3 and don't see 4 happening. I just bought a house and took the biggest room hostage and that has quickly turned into agreement that I need a pinball cabin in the garden.

Went into stage 5 18 months ago with 14 games (5 set up and 9 stored in my garage) :eek: Had a big cull last year and got down to a sensible 4 games by last Winter.

Now at a more or less sensible stage 4 now with 4 games set up and one game normally out on loan (thanks @Archyta5 ) :thumbs:

Strictly speaking stage 2, though my JD looks kinda out of place wedged next to the telly in my flat (and as previously mentioned, I had to take the front door off to get it in...).

There's also a special stage of madness for restoring a pin in an unlit/unpowered garage :(

Have separate bank account / hidden cash to hide purchases :( Local bank think you have a coke habit!

Back
Top Bottom