What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stag do in Birmingham?? Curry house recommendations please

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Evening all,
So a few of my mates who can't make my proper stag do overseas want to go on a mini-stag somewhere in the u.k for a day/night.
Original plan was Norwich(?!...) but looks like Birmingham is an option instead.
I'd obviously love to go there and spend some time at Tilt, as have never been there before, but what's the general view on places to hang out, bars, good curry place?
Is Birmingham safe for southerners these days?😀; heard it used to be a bit of a rough place years back? (No offence to Birmingham residents I intended; big fan of Black Sabbath etc)

There's plenty to do. Yes it's safe and very multicultural so you'll blend right in lol.

How many of you are there? Are you ale or lager drinkers?

(as distant southerners)

For a decent start id recommend Tilt and Brewdog. Kirk will no doubt have some treats on but watch out for sours if you're not used to them! In Brewdog the draught Dead Pony Club is competely unlike the cans... it's so good you could drown in it.

On Colmour Row there is a Fullers pub called Old Joint Stock. Again, very seldom you can find it on draught, but the Discovery is like nectar, worth a pint. They also do big steak & ale pies.

Good ale selection at the pokey Alexander. Usually 20+ guests.

For foodies, its easy to avoid the chains if you look, there's so much more there. Meat Shack is good for burgers or anything in the Chinese Qtr side streets. Just check trip advisor.

Big Wok is an all you can eat but will probably root you to the ground. Unfortunately Mr Egg has shut down.

Broad street is a 90s thing. It got crap and everywhere closed. Yes there are still pubs and clubs there but it's rough and well trodden. Maybe that's changed now if anyone knows any better.

The Irish bars are excellent.

Clubs in the area you've got Snobs which has been there since the dawn of time in various forms. Once a run down ****hole it's now a upmarket ****hole. All good.

Tap & Spile serves London Pride til 4am. Well kept and a good finisher.

If you're a liberal bunch then strip clubs you'll find Legs11 is harmless. There used to be a party bus which picked you up for free and took you there, but that was early 2000s so maybe it got cancelled.

For a sunrise curry get a 5 minute taxi to Manzills. Top notch and they OPEN at midnight.

Overall you won't go wrong sticking around New Street area, plenty of small bars and you can slowly head towards Broad st without actually having to finish there.

Martineau Place is full of chains but can highly recommend Bank if you want a decent Mojito.

If you've not sorted accomodation, The Briar Rose is very central and has decent rooms at Weatherspoons prices.

(as distant southerners)

For a decent start id recommend Tilt and Brewdog. Kirk will no doubt have some treats on but watch out for sours if you're not used to them! In Brewdog the draught Dead Pony Club is competely unlike the cans... it's so good you could drown in it.

On Colmour Row there is a Fullers pub called Old Joint Stock. Again, very seldom you can find it on draught, but the Discovery is like nectar, worth a pint. They also do big steak & ale pies.

Good ale selection at the pokey Alexander. Usually 20+ guests.

For foodies, its easy to avoid the chains if you look, there's so much more there. Meat Shack is good for burgers or anything in the Chinese Qtr side streets. Just check trip advisor.

Big Wok is an all you can eat but will probably root you to the ground. Unfortunately Mr Egg has shut down.

Broad street is a 90s thing. It got crap and everywhere closed. Yes there are still pubs and clubs there but it's rough and well trodden. Maybe that's changed now if anyone knows any better.

The Irish bars are excellent.

Clubs in the area you've got Snobs which has been there since the dawn of time in various forms. Once a run down ****hole it's now a upmarket ****hole. All good.

Tap & Spile serves London Pride til 4am. Well kept and a good finisher.

If you're a liberal bunch then strip clubs you'll find Legs11 is harmless. There used to be a party bus which picked you up for free and took you there, but that was early 2000s so maybe it got cancelled.

For a sunrise curry get a 5 minute taxi to Manzills. Top notch and they OPEN at midnight.

Overall you won't go wrong sticking around New Street area, plenty of small bars and you can slowly head towards Broad st without actually having to finish there.

Martineau Place is full of chains but can highly recommend Bank if you want a decent Mojito.

If you've not sorted accomodation, The Briar Rose is very central and has decent rooms at Weatherspoons prices.
That's all brilliant info; much appreciated!

There's only I think 6 or 7 of us going I think and everyone will likely enjoy a good craft beer selection (I've tried sours a couple of times I think and actually quite like them; couldn't drink them the whole night, but 1 or two here and there is nice.
I'll defo message Kirk - I'm the only pinhead going, but I'm sure the others will be happy if there's good beers and atmosphere.
Not going to be a rowdy day/night out - well behaved bunch!

All good advice as above, although i tend to steer clear of Digbeth area (but i'm a soft ex southener), and the propondurance of beggars seems to get worse everytime up in town, the latest one, women selling flowers, seems to be very well orgnised if you ask me.

THARAVADU​

7-8, Mill Hill Leeds , LS 15DQ,
United Kingdom Tel: 0113 244 0500

Hi all,
Thank you very much for all the info!
It turns out that we are just going to do a pub crawl/curry in London now - basically, there wasn't much enthusiasm to spend much time at Tilt and so I've decided to just take a trip there for a few hours or so one weekend on my own, so that I can really enjoy the machines and beer - if anyone fancies going there one weekend, get in touch and maybe we could organize and bit of a pinball meet and get the local brummie pinheads involved?

Amusing story; a guy who's fairly new at work actually lives a few miles away from Tilt, but he was really surprised that (a) pinball machines still exist, and (b) that there was a pin bar not far from him (don't think he's necessarily in to pinball, but I gather he hasn't seen one in the wild in years:)

Back
Top Bottom