What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike PSU fans

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Vireland on pinside is making low noise fans for stern spike games - I’m getting a couple and thought some of you might be interested.

Let me know if you want one and I’ll do a group order and save on US shipping. Pricing of them is to be confirmed

Neil.

Stern fans are like an aircraft taking off!

He is just doing a plug and play.

I bought some of the fans/connectors but if I bodge it all up, may be down for some plug and play!

It's only a fan, I'm sure you will be able to pick one up of the shelf from here on the UK without having to import one from the US

It's only a fan, I'm sure you will be able to pick one up of the shelf from here on the UK without having to import one from the US

So you don’t want one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can buy the fans, the connectors and the crimp bits but most people want plug and play.

Almost impossible to find a quiet fan with a 2 pin plug for some reason.

I bought the individual parts before Vic said he was doing a plug and play ( with the right thread cutting screws ).

I would have gone for plug and play but will see if I have any success first.

Hi Neil
Yes I'd be interested in one.

I could buy one in the UK, but by the time I've opened up the PSU and figured out what parts I need, put the PSU back together, ordered the parts, wait for them to arrive, open up the PSU again to install.... A plug and play unit sounds like a better use of time even if a bit more expensive :)

Although, hold off on that, I've just look at the pinside forums and the pictures of the PSUs there don't match what mine looks like. The US supplies have the fan at the top, whereas mine is on the front....CIMG2421.JPG

hmm, well spotted, I assumed they were 100/220V PSU, will check mine.

Mine is the smaller one in the top (Aerosmith) It is very noisy when it comes on.

IMG_6220.JPG

Changing the fan may affect the warranty??

GoTG and Deapool both stupidly noisy really annoying when they fire up together.

My plan to avoid warranty issues is to put a silent Noctua fan in the backbox as an addition to avoid having to open up the PSU, but can't figure out the connector for the “CN6 12v OUT FOR B.B. USE” output on the PDU board. If anyone knows where to get a couple of those in the UK to avoid me ordering the entire Farnell catalogue please let me know!

how will you turn off the internal fan without opening the box?

Neil.

I won't. The Noctua fans are silent, so will be on all the time whilst the machine is on as I assume that the 12v is only live whilst the machine is on, so the fan will turn off when you power the pin off.

I've used a whole ton of them for gaming PC cooling as well as AV equipment rack airflow (keeping power amps cool) running 24/7 without any issue.

The fan on my GB runs all the time I think, but IMDN fan only runs occasionally ( obviously temperature controlled ). I can imagine that if another quieter fan was running on the outside of the psu on IMDN the internal fan would probably never need to start, but GB fan would probably still run ( thats way out of warranty anyway so no problem opening up ).

I took Neil's question to be, how do you deactivate the noisy stern fan without opening up the transformer? And therefore having a potential warranty issue?

Ah, sorry, misunderstood. Kevlar is right - the PSU fan is temperature controlled and so only runs when there's a buildup of heat. Adding the extra fan above it to move air through the PSU the whole time means the temp never rises at all, so the stock, noisy PSU fan never turns on.

I thought originally it was a buildup of heat inside the backbox, so was considering an exhaust fan to empty it, but the fan kicks in even with the back glass off.

I think the spike 2 fan is a timer but will test this. Also if it’s sensor controlled for the PSU you might not get close enough to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the PSU fan is temperature controlled and so only runs when there's a buildup of heat.

Yeah, in that case you could easily add another fan outside of the PSU case to do the job of the original. But unfortunately on my GB Pro the PSU fan is on all of the time. It does a good job of cooling as even on hot summer days the PSU never gets warm. Just a shame Stern decided to use the noisiest fan I've come across since the original Xbox 360 ;)

Just a shame Stern decided to use the noisiest fan I've come across since the original Xbox 360 ;)

Haha, I'm used to it working with rack mount kit. The fans in some of the Cisco 1U/2U equipment we have which are full of DSPs run 24/7 at a ridiculous RPM and some of our HP 1U machines run the fans at full RPM during POST and sound like something about to take off!

Will try and have a play with the PSU fans tomorrow and see if really are temp controlled...

Haha, I'm used to it working with rack mount kit. The fans in some of the Cisco 1U/2U equipment we have which are full of DSPs run 24/7 at a ridiculous RPM and some of our HP 1U machines run the fans at full RPM during POST and sound like something about to take off!

Will try and have a play with the PSU fans tomorrow and see if really are temp controlled...

Oh yeah if it's enterprise kit you're talking about that's on another level :) I also spend a fair amount of time in a data center and have to wear ear plugs to stop the onset of early deafness. We can be thankful that Stern PSUs aren't quite that bad :)

Oh yeah if it's enterprise kit you're talking about that's on another level :) I also spend a fair amount of time in a data center and have to wear ear plugs to stop the onset of early deafness. We can be thankful that Stern PSUs aren't quite that bad :)

And Me!!! We had a grad in the office who couldnt log into a cisco i had asked them to configure... i came over to take a look and thought "thats mightilly quiet..." Turned it on.. and walked away... chuckling to myself under the noise of the supersonic jet starting up.. :D

ok so only one person interested? Would be good to know by end of play Monday if you are in and for how many. Send me PM.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom