What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed of Gameplay

cloudburst

Registered
I'm a very inexperienced pinball player. I hadn't played pinball at all until about 5 weeks ago.

But a couple of weeks ago I bought my own CFTBL, love it to bits and have been playing it ever since.

Last weekend my girlfriend and I were in a shop which is just a couple of hundred yards from where I live and they have a Stern Pirates Of The Caribbean table.

So we both played it... And we both looked at each other with a puzzled expression. We'd just come from playing CFTBL at my house and the POTC gameplay just felt so very slow in comparison.

I don't want to knock anyone's favourite game, as we're all different. I did like the sinking ship etc. and I'm sure there are a lot of other things to like about the Pirates table, but can I ask - are all modern games a lot slower and less hectic to play? Is it a 2000s vs 1990s thing? A Stern vs Bally thing?

Perhaps it's just that I haven't played enough pins and there really is a bigger variety of gameplay styles than I expected?

CB

Some games are faster than others due to the design and things like "flow" and sometimes they just have the slope angle set up badly.

You can play two different CFTBL at a show and both will play completely different. It's just how people set there machines up tweak here and there and it makes a big difference.

Agree - set up is crucial and re-built flippers.

PAPA set up their games properly.

Guessing it didn't play like this?

I generally find that modern Sterns play a lot quicker than BW games but it does depend on a lot of different factors. I’m guessing your own machine is likely freshly waxed, setup at the correct angle and has nice flipper mechs whereas many machines on location are poorly maintained (in my experience).

There are a lot of different styles too though. If you like fast and hectic try TNA, or perhaps something like Iron Man as mentioned above. If you want an epic quest and long game maybe WOZ or Hobbit?

Back
Top Bottom