What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker vibration / distortion

Durzel

Registered
Hi,

I've fit some Flipper Fidelity speakers to my TAF today, and have noticed that now when I play (admittedly higher volume than before) I get pretty nasty distortion with sound effects, particularly the lightning strike sounds that the game makes a lot :)

It is definitely not the glass vibrating from bass or anything, it is clearly vibration from around the speaker panel. The speaker panel cover looks like it isn't fully attached to the panel, I could try re-glueing it but to be honest my TZ is pretty much the same and it doesn't have this problem, with the same speakers.

Music is ok I think, it just seems like some speech samples and SFX are problematic.

Anyone come across this before? If so what was your solution?

I had a similar issue in my car - a certain frequency would vibrate but I struggled to reproduce it. I then had a brain wave and downloaded a sound frequency generator for my iPhone and played it thru the car speakers and it allowed me to track where the rattle was coming from and fix it.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers, sounds like I will have to do similar. Was just curious as to whether anyone else had experienced this and what their solution was. I guess I could add anti-rattle tape around the speaker panel but the fact my TZ doesn't do it with the same speakers and at similar volume makes me think it could be something else.

I'll have to have another look tonight, the panel doesn't feel particularly different to my TZ which doesn't have this problem. It's kinda hard to explain really. It seems to only be the sound effects that are affected, and different ones are to different degrees and music seems to play fine, so I don't think it is a problem with the sound board - but who knows.

Captured a video of this this morning before I left for work, sorry for the wonky aspect ratio but it was the only way I could get it to upload in HD:

EDIT: It's particularly bad on "Feel the Power", "Cousin It", "Bear Kicks" and of course the lightning strike SFX.

Back
Top Bottom