What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPEAKER UPGRADE KIT (BUDGET)

new forest pinball

Site Supporter
Alias
Keef.
having upgraded many of my own pins and some customers pins...thinking about putting together a complete speaker upgrade kit for all of us on a budget! Will improve sound quality and not put a hole in ones pocket. Kit will include speakers (duh), spacers, connectors, passive crossovers, and screws. If any on the forum are interested let me know and I will take it further. Keith. This is a forum only thing and not for profit! Here's one on a fathom.. With crossover and tweeter mod!...cool!...but thinking more for wms/SEGA/stern games...but it is nice to upgrade the old ballys image.jpeg when you have spent hours refurbishing a squawk and talk board!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. Given the early state of sound boards how much better is your sound in your fathom now. Say in a scale of 1 to 10 - Original sound a 3 now what is it?

Twice as good at least so 6/7 I would say the sound effects and the background sounds are great and do not distort until quite high volumes...the only thing is the clearer sound highlights the limited quality of the voice roms back in the 70's / 80's.....you could improve it further as this upgrade cost me circa £25 as I have been in car audio (supply and repairs) for over 2 decades so I will be able to offer my designer upgrades as trade prices...hope this helps....Keith. (FYI the squawk and talk board is an absolute stroke of electronic genius given the budget and technology limits of the time):):)

I'm in! my Getaway cab speaker foam edge is rotten, always meant to replace it but never got around to it.

I'd be interested at that kind of price, depending to a certain extent on the skill level required to fit it.

Are we talking plug and play (i.e. unscrew and unplug the existing speakers and screw in and plug new speaker into same power/ input connectors) or would I need to get the soldering iron & crimper out?

How goods the sound improvement on the 90's Bally/ Williams era tables? Better than the fathom 3/10 -> 7/10 uplift or about the same?

Yes about the same at budget level...obviously the later Bally/ Williams have three speakers not one....so will be a bit more than £25!.......will be plug and play if your existing speakers have terminals on them already. (Very few have in my experience) so up to you , you can either solder the new speakers in or fit crimp connectors (supplied in kit)...but will be as simple as possible.

Update...most of the necessary parts have arrived just waiting on some plastic spacers...expected tomorrow...then I will publish parts and prices with photo's. Thanks for your patience. Keith.

Hi everyone. Most parts in now. With so many different speaker combinations on pinball machines,thought it a good idea to list in age order. So my first upgrades are for Bally / Williams machines pre system 11 and pre Dmd. For example: fathom, medusa, kiss etc..
Jungle Lord, black knight, cosmic gunfight etc... Two types will be available the pro upgrade and an l.e. (Or in other words cabinet speakers only no back box speakers. ) Will supply all parts needed for a simple install. The speakers supplied are jbl (or equivalent quality depending on the euro/dollar strength!) the cost of the kits will be at trade. The change in sound quality is well worth the effort. All the best Keith.

Well done Keith, looking forward to trying a kit when you reach WPC level, my Getaway has long needed a new cabinet speak at least.

Back
Top Bottom