What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Space invaders ( The reborn )

carl lawrence

Site Supporter
was not going to do a shop log on my machine as @Courtney Blush is doing one !
But ......:rolleyes:

Picked this up last year IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
Ok played a few games on it ,to see what is or isn't working :thumbs:
Displays 3 & 4 are flickering
A number of lights not working
Sound not working
Cabinet top back and base needing repairs the only bit I know for me will be easy :)
The playfield will /has been stripped then sent off to @chris platt for repair
New plastics are bought and awaiting fitting !
Still need to buy a stencil kit

I done a bit of work on the machine before I stripped it;)
All the displays are all working now it was a simple fix,in fact it was displays number one which was coursing the flickering ,(dry solder joints on the display )
I tuck the sound board off reflows the the connections and a bit of sand paper to the connection and refitted back into the machine .swicth the machine on and the sound came on :) but then the sound just froze on :( switched on off again but no sound !!
Gave up with this board as I know I have another one ,but it was untested .
Fitted the other sound board and hay presto sound all working even after 20 plus games :clap: .So just for my piece of mind refitted the old board again to see if it might work again ,and it didn't ,so refitted the new board and all sound now back working :thumbs:

As for the lights that are not working I will sort out when I rebuild it back up !
Here is a pic of a stripped playfield ;)IMG_0211.JPGall ready to be sent off,for the magic to begin ;)IMG_0100.JPG

Playfield back form Chris
IMG_20180213_190855345.jpg IMG_20180213_191219658.jpg
Ok my plan is
1 complete the Playfield
2 refit it back into the cabinet
3 get the machine 100% back working
4 take it out and start on the repairs to the cabinet

All coils, lamps mec's are still connected to the loom were possible !
Hope this is the right way to do it , if not ,then ops!!:rofl:
IMG_20180218_100641920.jpg
Started cleaning out the excess of clear coat out of the star switches IMG_20180220_194905465.jpg asked the wife to buy me a metal nail file from boots to do this job :thumbs:
IMG_20180220_194916694.jpg
IMG_20180224_125147782.jpg after about what seems to feel like 3hours ,both star switches are now done . what a pain that was to do
IMG_20180224_130228897.jpg

There's nothing on TV and it's dark outside but found some bits of wood In the shed outside so made this IMG_20180224_211450544.jpg IMG_20180224_211523797.jpg
Looks a bit sh1t but it might work :rofl:

Right Carl lets get this straight you went out to the shed a couple of hours ago and knocked this up ........pull the other one mate
you must have been on that all day if truth be known:rofl::rofl::rofl: ps..
don't tell the wife the garden brooms have no handles now

So by this time tomorrow the playfield should be re populated :clap: joking apart... nice one though

Right Carl lets get this straight you went out to the shed a couple of hours ago and knocked this up ........pull the other one mate
you must have been on that all day if truth be known:rofl::rofl::rofl: ps..
don't tell the wife the garden brooms have no handles now

So by this time tomorrow the playfield should be re populated :clap: joking apart... nice one though
It took me a bit to work out how to get that silver clamp to make it work
Bagsie the rotisserie when done tomoz!¡!!
Might take a little longer than than one Sunday

Spun the playfield round and that silver clamp dowel gave way when I took the block off :rofl:
So I have just ordered another swivel vice and fit it that end

Anyway recleaned the inserts again and talken off the insulation tape off the wires IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
If you look closely I have numbered where all the switches go ,I will find out later if this helps or not ;)

Well As I suspected the top clamp gave way :tut:
So ordered another swivel vice and took it apart and rejig this playfield stand .
Next step was to slide on the "rats nest" as I call it :thumbs:
Fitted a few switches and flipper mec 's on the playfield , also cleansed polished up the sling mec's and fitted the too.
IMG_0332.JPG IMG_0333.JPG
Just keep on looking at the lamp holders and then at the tumbler and thinking , R want the hell !! Let's buy some new ones and fit them instead :thumbs:

Spent some time on the playfield theses last few days ,it slow work but I am getting there IMG_0336.JPG
Soldering these things are a bit of a pain .The coloured wire are easy to solder on ,it's just the single wire which goes from one lamp holder to the other one
so this is how I have been soldering these on ,
1 light sanding on the base plate
2 add a bit of flux
3 heat up and add solder and hen solder the wire in place
Here's a pic of setting up the lamp holder
IMG_0334.JPG
Once the wire is done I them fit the screw !
Looks like I can't count properly as I am running out of lamp holders :rofl:

Spent some time on the playfield theses last few days ,it slow work but I am getting there
Soldering these things are a bit of a pain .The coloured wire are easy to solder on ,it's just the single wire which goes from one lamp holder to the other one
so this is how I have been soldering these on ,
1 light sanding on the base plate
2 add a bit of flux
3 heat up and add solder and hen solder the wire in place
Here's a pic of setting up the lamp holder
Once the wire is done I them fit the screw !
Looks like I can't count properly as I am running out of lamp holders :rofl:

I found that a big powerful 100w soldering iron is just the thing to tin up those lamp socket brackets. I do them all first before fitting to playfield.
the one I bought was this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...788751&hash=item2cc70d64dd:g:1nEAAOSwUd9acE6U

I found that a big powerful 100w soldering iron is just the thing to tin up those lamp socket brackets. I do them all first before fitting to playfield.
the one I bought was this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverli...788751&hash=item2cc70d64dd:g:1nEAAOSwUd9acE6U

I ended up putting some plumbers flux into one of those syringes you put calpol in for kids. Then a little dot on each leg of the lamp socket. Worked a treat. Not sure what wattage of the iron though but the solder was just beading off before fluxing. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely +1 on the 100W soldering iron for lamp holders. I've got a fairly beefy 25W iron but it takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r to get the holder hot enough. Fine for doing one. But a 100W iron is the only way to go when you've got dozens of them to do. Judging by the splatters of flux all over the underside of my 4 Bally playfields I'd assume they would have used something similar on the factory production line. No messing!

I ended up putting some plumbers flux into one of those syringes you put calpol in for kids. Then a little dot on each leg of the lamp socket. Worked a treat. Not sure what wattage of the iron though but the solder was just beading off before fluxing. [emoji106]

Edit: I fluxed and tinned (and added all the diodes) BEFORE fitting them - made refitting the new ones dead easy.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20180315_6a79918fd6e599337d221ef760bf5534.jpg

Will try that flux got some in the shed ,mind you only have 20 lamp holders left to do :thumbs:

Will try that flux got some in the shed ,mind you only have 20 lamp holders left to do :thumbs:

It worked really well for me. Felt like a bodger even trying it but it was one of my more successful guesses!

Good luck with the build it’s looking great and love the rotisserie [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom