What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED. Congo - right slingshot not working, my brain gone dead... HELP!

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Yes, my brain has literally stopped functioning, too much actual (meagerly) paid work going on to stop and think this through myself... [ashamed face].

Congo's right slingshot has stopped working.

As far as i can tell; ALL other solenoids are working fine. And weirdly, when i took my finger off the coin door interlock switch during test - the right sling shot fired - just once.

I did have a fuse go bang a few weeks ago, can't remember which one though sadly.

Any advice or direction appreciated!

Hi Paul, do they fire in the test mode? If they do it sounds like a switch issue, I recently have a slingshot issue and a screw had fallen into the gap where the leaf switch is,

Good luck

Drew

Run switch test and test switches.
Run solenoid test to test solenoid

Then you’ve ruled out 50% of the problem.

My guess is that a slingshot switch is stuck closed.

Run switch test and test switches.
Run solenoid test to test solenoid

Then you’ve ruled out 50% of the problem.

My guess is that a slingshot switch is stuck closed.

Thank you for the replies.

Switches tested and working 100%.
Solenoids tested and only right slingshot not firing. All others work. It did fire that once though, after the High Voltage coin door cut-off was released, stranglely.
Power Driver Board red leds shows voltages are present, although i've not tested them.

I'm not going to have the time to check/replace PCB components for a few months sadly, so this might have to be a send off for repair jobby.

Paul,

Any individual coil can be checked independently of the circuit board, by using a jumper wire to momentarily earth the return end of the winding. If the coil has power, it should energise for as long as the connection is in place. The same principle can be used to check the return wiring and pcb connector, as far as the metal tab of the driver transistor

Paul,

Any individual coil can be checked independently of the circuit board, by using a jumper wire to momentarily earth the return end of the winding. If the coil has power, it should energise for as long as the connection is in place. The same principle can be used to check the return wiring and pcb connector, as far as the metal tab of the driver transistor
Thanks. How would I indentify the return end? Cable colour? Coil connector tab size?

When coils had their tie-back diodes across the terminals, the plain end of the diode showed which was the return, but since then it's down to wire colours, or identifying which is the supply end by the multiple wires on it (unless it's the last coil on a supply, which a slingshot often is). The supply often uses a larger gauge of wire, too. A Wpc 95 game like Congo will show the wire colours, pcb connections and transistor number by pressing the Start button for help while the solenoid is selected in the Solenoid test

Or with a meter on dc volts and black lead on ground, measure voltage at both tabs of the coil. They should be the same. Make sure power is on and coin door is closed.

No voltage on either - power distribution problem

Voltage on one tab but not the other- coil bad. Check winding where it joins the solder tab

Voltage on both, - power and coil ok. Measure again where drive wire comes off circuit board.

Finally got around to checking this!

Continuity across the coil seems to be very intermittent, so I'm going to replace this particular coil and report back.

Coil replaced, the thin coiled wire had snapped a way down from the tab, but now all back together, working perfectly and what a fun game! Had this >3yrs now and enjoy it more each time.

Is it wrong that I enjoyed playing this WAY more than TWD? Maybe it’s because I’m not very good at TWD...

Congo is my game of choice at the moment Paul, so many different things to do and ways to play. I’m loving it and I’ve had mine more than 5 years!

A really fun game. Original and interesting playfield layout. Volcano multiball start is awesome. I loaned one for a time and loved it. Some crazy music too [emoji3]

Another case of lousy licence but a great game.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

A really fun game. Original and interesting playfield layout. Volcano multiball start is awesome. I loaned one for a time and loved it. Some crazy music too [emoji3]

Another case of lousy licence but a great game.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I much prefer the theme of a clever monkey what does talking, over those stupid zombies. There, I said it. Classic Crichton (book), or mindless zombies.... ?

Back
Top Bottom