What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solenoids not firing!

br1Ck

Registered
Hi all,

Last night I turned on my original 'Attack From Mars' and ALL of the solenoids fired at once, now none of the solenoids are firing.
There are no errors when I run a test, the machine seems to think everything is ok. From what I understand it is most likely a blown fuse.
When checking solenoid switches in test mode, not a single one will fire.

I'm looking at the manual (page 1 - 54) and there seems to be several fuses for Solenoids on the Power Driver Board.
Is it likely that all of these fuses blew at once, or perhaps another fuse further up the chain has blown (Power Supply?)

We're still quite new to pinball repairs!

Any advice or info is much appreciated.

Cheers guys

Could be a short circuit, if that's the case the fuse (check them all) will blow again. Prior to the solenoids playing up did you have the playfield up to swap out a bulb or anything?

@Cursaw We moved house on Wednesday and had it in the back of a truck. We set it up and played several times on thursday and yesterday morning without issue (maybe 2ish hours game time).
Haven't lifted the playfield for a number of days (prior to moving)

Also worth noting that we are using a multibox (with surge protector) as it is now too far from a wall socket.
@kevlar I will check LED's this evening after work - thanks!

As above check the fuse ,not 100% shore but I think one will Knock all sold out ,as above check manual to find which one

Fuses are old and fragile ,with vibrantion will blow them , hopefully it will be this only !!

Is it possible that having the pin plugged into the same AC outlet as a fridge/freezer caused fuse to blow?

Sounds like it could have been caused by vibration in the move, unplug the machine and give the connectors in the backbox a wiggle (highly technical that, i am sure there is a you tube video somewhere) power it back up and see if there is any difference if it is a dry joint it could help identifying it.

I'm at work, my buddy is having a look at it now. He just picked up a bunch of new fuses so we'll go through and replace them tonight. We rescued this thing from a pub and it clearly hadn't had any love for years, replacing fuses probably should have been the first thing we did! I'll come back with our findings this evening.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If you don't have one get a multimeter which has a continuity test so you can test the fuses, when you (machine unplugged) pop the probes either side of the fuse, if the fuse is good it will continuously beep if bad no beep. Here is a link to a basic meter but will be fine as a starter http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03038/multimeter-digital/dp/IN06857?st=multimeter

Forgive me if you already know this stuff

F109 Unregulated 12V fuse had blown (the last one we replaced!) Back up and running again just in time for the weekend.

@Cursaw thanks for the tip; we'll be adding a decent multimeter to our pin toolkit!

Thanks again all!

Back
Top Bottom