What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldering Iron

Hi

I'm trying to sort a simple toolkit for some basic pinball work. I've seen a number of posts on here and I'm looking at getting some sae nut drivers, screwdrivers etc. I could also do with a soldering iron and I've seen a number of people recommending a mains 60w unit form Maplin. My question is, is this the sort of thing most people use? I can see if you have a work bench it would be fine but how do you do work direct on the machine? Does anyone use gas powered irons and can anyone recommend a particular size/power/make?

Thanks all

Irving
I've just got the Maplins soldering station that was recommended - new on ebay only £35! It looks decent. Maplins of course have gone bust so you can't buy them from source any more

Hi

I'm trying to sort a simple toolkit for some basic pinball work. I've seen a number of posts on here and I'm looking at getting some sae nut drivers, screwdrivers etc. I could also do with a soldering iron and I've seen a number of people recommending a mains 60w unit form Maplin. My question is, is this the sort of thing most people use? I can see if you have a work bench it would be fine but how do you do work direct on the machine? Does anyone use gas powered irons and can anyone recommend a particular size/power/make?

Thanks all

Irving
Also.. if you're for lifelong nut drivers the only option in my view are Klein magnetic ones. Not cheap but for the common nuts they are invaluable. I;ve had mine nearly 20 years and they're going strong!

Ah OK I stand corrected... I went down to local store last week for some stuff and it was boarded up with no longer trading notices so assumed they'd gone, but sounds like they're clinging on!!

Ah OK I stand corrected... I went down to local store last week for some stuff and it was boarded up with no longer trading notices so assumed they'd gone, but sounds like they're clinging on!!
No, they went. And then were bought by someone and are now back, however online only. And same mistakes are being made...

Peter Jones of Dragons Den fame bought it, no idea why - Maplins were seldom if ever competitive, I pretty much only went in there due to a combination of desperation and laziness, or poor planning. Amazon or pretty much anywhere else online were always cheaper.

Ordered the Dremel Versatip with some 60/40 flux, like the idea of having readily available butane and easily sourced replacement tips.
It’s good that it has the heat reflector for heat shrink application instead of having to pull out the blower....
I’ll let you know if it’s any good.

Last edited:
Ordered the Dremel Versatip with some 60/40 flux, like the idea of having readily available butane and easily sourced replacement tips.
It’s good that it has the heat reflector for heat shrink application instead of having to pull out the blower....
I’ll let you know if it’s any good.
Edit:- Had a whirl with it earlier and it’s ace 👍well recommended1414F8C1-825E-4143-8E80-1A92F3EC9113.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom