What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slingshot sheared off arm

Durzel

Registered
Hi

How easy is it to repair a slingshot?

On my friends Funhouse the plunger has sheared off the arm that kicks the ball.

Is there a guide anywhere that details what is involved in fixing it? I wasn't able to find anything with the search...

Would I need to remove the whole solenoid, desolder (?) the wires and remove the arm assembly to fix it off the machine?

Thanks in advance!

No need for a soldering iron .

Take photos. An exploded diagram of how it all works will be in the funhouse manual.

Usually 7 screws to remove, plus a spring clip or two, that is it.

New parts for sale at pinball Heaven and pinball Mania .

Thanks. Feel like such a noob when it comes to this stuff.

So I don't need to remove the solenoid to install a new plunger & link thing?

Easy for you to say. :) I've not done any solenoid related repairs yet. I don't know how much of the assembly (solenoid, arm) I need to unscrew from the playfield, if at all.

I understand that I need to buy a new plunger & link, but is it simply a case of pulling out the existing plunger with the broken link on, putting the new one in the coil, and attaching it to the arm? (it looks like there is some kind of E-ring or similar that keeps it attached to the arm?

Easy for you to say. :) I've not done any solenoid related repairs yet. I don't know how much of the assembly (solenoid, arm) I need to unscrew from the playfield, if at all.

I understand that I need to buy a new plunger & link, but is it simply a case of pulling out the existing plunger with the broken link on, putting the new one in the coil, and attaching it to the arm? (it looks like there is some kind of E-ring or similar that keeps it attached to the arm?
It's a very simple mech.,, a few screws holding the arm and coil.,, you really won't have a problem, and the beauty is you have the other one to compare to. Get those beers chilled soldier! [emoji16]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Of all the problems you get with Pinball machines, this really is one of the easiest to fix

My scared stiff broke a slingshot arm at my league meeting. I had a spare one in stock and fixed it with all the play going on the other machines around it. It is a genuine 10 minute job. 5 if you are in the groove.

The one thing to watch out for is the risk of a flying hairpin clip.

I use these, cheapo medical clamps, when removing hairpin clips nowadays .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2225198988...4%26rvr_ts%3Df4c14b001620ada1ade7afd5fff6fa89

Do you have to unscrew the solenoid or kicker arm from the bottom of the playfield, to fit the new plunger & link, and reconnect it to the arm etc?

You said "7 screws to remove" which sounds like unscrewing both and leaving the solenoid dangling down?

Sorry to be pedantic with the questions, just want to get the process straight in my head, having never done it before.

Normally you undo the solenoid bracket from the underside of the pf which should be 4 screws. You leave the solenoid attached to the bracket. The assembly then just dangles .Don't lose the solenoid reset spring as this can now fall off.

Depending on what is broken you may need to remove the slingshot hinge too, this is held underneath the pf with 3 screws .

Thanks again. That's exactly what I needed to know. :) Must sound ridiculously mundane to someone like yourself, but up til now I've not done anything with solenoids or assemblies.

Bought the requisite parts - new plunger and link, cool sleeve and spring - from @pinballmania and managed to fit this tonight. Nearly lost the washer that sits below the hairpin down the back of a PCB, and struggled to get the hairpin on, but finally did it.

Only problem was, it binded during the solenoid test. It fired, but the plunger didn't retract back out of the coil. Couldn't really see what I could've done wrong, as it was fitted the way it was in previously?

Anyway, I know it's probably not the done thing but I put a tiny, tiny amount of silicon grease on the plunger and it stopped sticking and started working perfectly.

Why didn't this just work? Everywhere I've read said that they don't need (and shouldn't be given) any lubrication?

(Learnt something new too - you have to take the coil off the thing it sits in to remove the old sleeve. Trying to pull it out with long nose pliers was getting me nowhere. Thought it had fused to the coil. :()

That could be your problem the coil sleeve should not be hard to get in or out. Which suggests the coil has overheated at some point and warped the spool

Nah, what I mean is - never having done anything with a coil before, I didn't realise that I had to remove part of the assembly to get the sleeve out. It's flared at the bottom, but I was trying to pull it out from the plunger end - if that makes sense.

Nah, what I mean is - never having done anything with a coil before, I didn't realise that I had to remove part of the assembly to get the sleeve out. It's flared at the bottom, but I was trying to pull it out from the plunger end - if that makes sense.

Oh ok well as grizz said then

Yea you really don't want any grease on the plunger at all. Ultimately it will just combine with dirt and gum up the mech. As Grizz said something probably wasn't aligned quite right.

Don't use effin grease on a plunger. The nylon liner is a self lubricating bearing.

Back
Top Bottom