What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky v Freesat v Streaming on a New TV

DRD

Registered
I am after a 4k tv for a new room which currently has no aerial point in it.

The terrestrial tv signal in my village is ok, not brilliant. It gets most channels, including all the main ones, but not all. Broadband speed is about 40 Mb/s. I known that there is not much 4k content about, 1080 will do me.

I am wondering whether to
  1. Get a new tv aerial for a chimney stack , a better one might improve my reception
  2. Get a new tv aerial for inside the loft, I could install this myself
  3. Get a satellite dish. I have never had one before so have no idea what Sky offers these days
  4. Do nothing, and just use streaming services like bbc iplayer/ roku/netflix/ Amazon prime
Obviously, a new aerial or satellite dish would preserve our broadband capacity for other uses.

What is the best option these days pls ?

Thanks

it really depends on what you want to watch and how much you want to spend.

I wouldn't buy any TV package on 4K alone as the 4K content is sparse. Also work considering a 4K Bluray player or Apple TV 4K

Low risk get a Netflix account and that has a decent amount of 4K on it. 40M will work fine with that.. Lots of 4K on youtube also.

with low bandwidth speeds probably next best bet is Sky with a dish but pricey for the UHD content.

BT lower cost 4K on sport and on demand.

make sure your 4K TV choice supports HDR also. Not a lot of HDR content but more coming soon. in my view 1080p with HDR > 4K without HDR. I don't think we will see much streaming HDR content for a while as its pretty bandwidth hungry.

Neil.

Reactions: DRD
I use netflix for my 4k content and got to say it is pretty FAB - general channels I use freesat(HD) with a twin tuner DVR covers all grounds except sport - so I go to the pub for that!!!

Cheers

kev

I have a 4k TV and a 4k player. A year ago the movie selection was choice but everything gets a 4k release now. Even older movies are getting the treatment. You can stream 4k but you still don't get the full bit rate and quality of a purchased 4k disc.

I don't stream 4k. I could but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom