What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired Single Colour DMD Displays - Blue, Green, Orange + Others

Expired Due to no activity

Garry Sp8

Site Supporter
I have been offered LED type DMD displays from a Chinese manufacturer. Price seems pretty good.
Extract from their message to me:

"Now DMDs are changed into SMD version, just like vishay LEE-128G032.
http://www.vishay.com/product?docid=37083
However, the two headers are kept the same as before.
Colors options are green and amber(very similar with plasma), 70usd/ea.
Next time we can make blue, pure green, orange(the same color as LA-078811SE1WB), pink or white as you need. 75usd/ea."
blue, green and amber DMD.png

These would be a direct alternative to the Stern red LED displays. (Red is also available) I was thinking of trying a couple of different ones.
If anyone else would like to try any, let me know.
They advised that the DHL shipping would be advised when quantities were known.
Not sure if there would be any customs charges/VAT added on goods from China?
Garry

If you use DHL they cost lots more (I say lots - standard post for example $7, dhl $15), but also you can pay customs whilst the Goods are in the air - end-end usually takes 3-6 days... well worth the money.
seller will almost always mark the items down to cost value... :)

As Sarge states if these are direct replacements i would be interested in a red and blue

Are we talking group buy? As said previously what would these fit? Are they a straight drop in?

Are we talking group buy? As said previously what would these fit? Are they a straight drop in?
These should be a direct replacement for Stern DMD's but I will ask them to confirm the connection details. They only need a 5V DC supply so are suitable for B/W games with a modified power connector - see attached showing a Stern LED DMD fitted in a Roadshow with a knocked up power connector. The same connector fits WPC 95 too. (I could supply the power cable for a small charge)
IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4394.JPG

I'll post back when I get an answer regarding the connector.
Garry

Garry I have tryed this before running a stern display from a Williams pin and it may seem ok for a bit but those displays pull a lot of power from the 5v and causes multiple re set issues when playing the game

Garry I have tryed this before running a stern display from a Williams pin and it may seem ok for a bit but those displays pull a lot of power from the 5v and causes multiple re set issues when playing the game
Should be easy enough to use a 5v voltage regulator on a 12v supply though Chris to drop it down.

The Williams 5v power is really only for logic stuff not displays but you could always fit a new 5v power supply
Thanks for the tech advice Chris. I was only really interested in the displays for Stern, so if anyone wants to fit to B/W then they can sort out a power supply.

Possibly but I have also seen pins recently with lots of mods tied in to the 12v causing re sets particularly wide bodied games that are maxed out already
Could always run a transformer from the service outlet inside the game.

Had a reply back regarding these. The connectors are the same as Stern LED displays - see pictures.
back of DMD.png front of DMD.png

They have now said that only amber and green are currently available as they have just finished the latest batch (see first post showing pics). Other colours will be available but they couldn't advise when as it depends on demand and they make them in batches of 30.
I might try a green if anyone else wants to try a green or amber to combine shipping?

Garry - did you ever end up putting through an order for these? How did they work out?

I tried a couple of these and a green one developed a fault early on which didn’t bode well.
They were very hit and miss with what colours were available when and then wanted orders in batches of 30 so it died a death at that point.
Garry

I tried a couple of these and a green one developed a fault early on which didn’t bode well.
They were very hit and miss with what colours were available when and then wanted orders in batches of 30 so it died a death at that point.
Garry
I'll be at NLP with my DmdXPress for sale and with a demonstration, if you're going to be there on Saturday drop by for a chat as I'd be interested in your thoughts compared to the Chinese ones.

Back
Top Bottom