What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

simpsons data east playfield restoration help

chris platt

Registered
hello all............im restoring two playfields ..£100 quid on freeze spray and £10 quid on getting the glue off the stickiest mylar in the world, plus the flakiest crumbling paint in places .. i need some assistance .just a question if any one has the simpsons ? at the top right moe has a call out standing at the bar ,both the ones im doing are worn to the wood so I don't know what he is saying and pics on the net don't help.i may just put the customers name on it but will try this first. ..im going to be an expert at these by the time im finished, if anyone else needs a playfield doing let me know....any help appreciated
chris

its just too thick..i used the flour but its like thick hard snot...really thick !! I poured surgical spirit on and let it to soak and scraped and scraped into balls of it..repeat 10 times with surgical and a bottle of goo gone as well and its still there in places !! Addams has two blasts of freeze spray and rip mylar off and a quick surgical spirit wipe and were away. this another level rudedogg .

When I started my Mr Mrs Pacman the mylar had been removed by previous owner but all the glue was left, I think that's why it was sold on as it was a pain the remove.

I used paper kitchen roll and naphtha (car panel wipe). Lay playfield flat, put paper towel over glue and soak in naphtha. Leave for a few minutes then use an old cotton cloth to rub the glue.

As you rub the glue turns into a snot balls but still remain on the playfield. Once progress seems to slow down use a naphtha soaked bit of kitchen towel to wipe the snot balls away.

After I thought I had it all off I used novus2 to quickly buff the playfield and any remaining glue patches needing attention are obvious to the eye.

just a question if any one has the simpsons ? at the top right moe has a call out standing at the bar ,both the ones im doing are worn to the wood so I don't know what he is saying and pics on the net don't help.i may just put the customers name on it but will try this first.

I believe it’s “ Call for Oliver Klose off” as in all of her clothes off :rolleyes:

If you are still having issues with the mylar glue I have been experimenting with this stuff and it seems to be great on all glue like gunk, even rotten rubber and dust ball trails.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-label-remover-200ml-n63an

I removed the mylar using heat, freeze and nothing then sprayed this on small areas at a time, left it for 10 mins and the glue snot balls up without any resistance and comes right off.
We have used it at work for years to remove security tags and stick on anchors from computer equipment.
I have only used it for the cleaning process so I dont know if it will have any long term effects like paint reactions or clearcoat issues but on modern playfields that have a good protective layer I hope it should be ok.

If you are still having issues with the mylar glue I have been experimenting with this stuff and it seems to be great on all glue like gunk, even rotten rubber and dust ball trails.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-label-remover-200ml-n63an

I removed the mylar using heat, freeze and nothing then sprayed this on small areas at a time, left it for 10 mins and the glue snot balls up without any resistance and comes right off.
We have used it at work for years to remove security tags and stick on anchors from computer equipment.
I have only used it for the cleaning process so I dont know if it will have any long term effects like paint reactions or clearcoat issues but on modern playfields that have a good protective layer I hope it should be ok.

thanks for that...i will buy a bottle for next time.im pretty much there now but any new product is good to know

I have DE Simpsons, it is 80% mylar covered which is dull and has wear in places, wax doesn't make it shine very much, if i decide to pull of the mylar and clean the glue off, then repaint the dodgy areas myself, whats the next stage ?
do I put new mylar on ? or do i have to get it clearcoated? or do i just wax it ?
also what do i use to level the sunken inserts ?

I forgot to mention, my local pound shop was selling freeze spray for £1.50, not everything in a poundshop is a pound, dustpan and brush set is £2.99 etc, but anyway I think £1.50 for freeze spray is very cheap, worth checking out your local poundshop.

taking the Mylar off will take the paint off as well,taking the glue off will take two days and take more paint off .re painting the old areas and the newer Mylar areas took me 2 weeks having to paint the whole playfield...then the Clearcoat was 8 coats over two weeks.....my advise is to leave well alone ..the freeze spray for this was nearly 4 big 15 quid tins going slowly.pound shop stuff always comes in smaller quantities but does sound a good buy for another project

I still think it has to come off, as some of the inserts are not level, several have sunken about 1mm below the mylar
so once ive got both the mylar and glue off, and repainted the worn areas
do I put new mylar on ? or do i have to get it clearcoated? or do i just wax it ?
also what do i use to level the sunken inserts ?
E3251677.JPG

Back
Top Bottom