What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SELLERS PLEASE READ

I actually think this is a great idea, with one simple modification - make it an anonymous poll that all members can vote on with three options - Cheap / Fair / Expensive

The only catch with this would be if the seller revised the price (and if they were gaming the system, revised it UP!) so you'd also have to prevent editing of posts in selling threads, and maybe also zero the votes if price changed, and, yeah.. starting to get a bit messy now...

We have a system already for people to check prices - just ask in the 'how much is it worth' thread to get other people's views :thumbs:. This avoids derailing someone's thread with implied criticism or praise of their pricing that might not be justified, but helps a newbie, or anyone actually, get an indication on value from others.

We have a system already for people to check prices - just ask in the 'how much is it worth' thread to get other people's views

This is exactly right :thumbs: I like to think I have a pretty good idea of the prices of pins and certainly am not interested in other peoples opinions of the value of my game in my for sale thread. By all means PM me or ask the wider community in the "how much is it worth thread" but adding something to For Sale threads where other people can pass judgement on my price is an absolute non starter for me :tut: This is why I also can't stand price policing comments in For Sale threads, I know what my game is worth and someone posting their opinion isn't going to change that...all it will do is p*ss me off :)

The current system works fine and doesn't need changing as long as a price is stated and people respect other members of our community by not sh*tting in their thread :thumbs:

Chris - Thats understandable as you are more than tuned in :) , I have seen some right howlers on here tho - where people have clearly believed something is worth much more than it is. they havent posted in the "how much is it worth" thread. Much like all those wanting £3k for a popeye on Ebay, saying "i know exactly how much it's worth, so dont try knocking me down".

Guess i'm just trying to produce a solution that works for most here (as i'll never get to please all!) :D

I'm sure more experienced members of the community wouldn't mind advising people via PM as to whether something is a fair price or not if there's a specific game someone is interested in. I've had plenty of people contact me asking my opinion on a game and it's price and always happy to help....just don't think that type of thing should be done in someones For Sale thread :thumbs:

All of this stuff is subjective anyway as it's based on opinion :) I might think you're random EM game is worth £250 but you might think it's worth £2K and you are entitled to your opinion.....you're wrong, but you're entitled to be wrong :D Game won't sell and you'll have to act accordingly. And if some noob does buy it for £2K without posting in the "what's it worth thread", checking with someone else or doing some research themselves then tbh they've only got themselves to blame. There are tools already in place on this forum that can be used to protect yourself against getting screwed and the onus is on you to use them :thumbs:

agree with @JT. and @ronsplooter that most of the time it works and new for sale posts without prices or pics are soon pointed out to the seller but think that we can be 'cuter' by only posting a response that is actually relevant to the sale thread thereby reducing all the c..p :)

reading a newish thread from post one helps rather than just reading the last post and more than likely adding a non relevant comment :D

we start policing it with too many rules & regs then it goes against what we do on here :)

Chris - Thats understandable as you are more than tuned in :) , I have seen some right howlers on here tho - where people have clearly believed something is worth much more than it is. they havent posted in the "how much is it worth" thread. Much like all those wanting £3k for a popeye on Ebay, saying "i know exactly how much it's worth, so dont try knocking me down".

Guess i'm just trying to produce a solution that works for most here (as i'll never get to please all!) :D

I'd just like to point out this absolute sh*tfest of a thread on pinside, which I think highlights how well behaved a lot of people on here are.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-bally-1993-2044

I've never seen a seller ejected from his own for sale thread before!

I'm sure more experienced members of the community wouldn't mind advising people via PM as to whether something is a fair price or not if there's a specific game someone is interested in. I've had plenty of people contact me asking my opinion on a game and it's price and always happy to help....just don't think that type of thing should be done in someones For Sale thread :thumbs:

All of this stuff is subjective anyway as it's based on opinion :) I might think you're random EM game is worth £250 but you might think it's worth £2K and you are entitled to your opinion.....you're wrong, but you're entitled to be wrong :D Game won't sell and you'll have to act accordingly. And if some noob does buy it for £2K without posting in the "what's it worth thread", checking with someone else or doing some research themselves then tbh they've only got themselves to blame. There are tools already in place on this forum that can be used to protect yourself against getting screwed and the onus is on you to use them :thumbs:
Ron - I can't find the 'what's it worth thread' on the forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd just like to point out this absolute sh*tfest of a thread on pinside, which I think highlights how well behaved a lot of people on here are.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-bally-1993-2044

I've never seen a seller ejected from his own for sale thread before!

Wow. That escalated pretty quickly...

While I find some comments in our sale threads rather redundant - "Why hasn't this sold yet?" for example begs the response "I dunno. Why don't you buy it then?", I do feel it's pretty relaxed on here. Such comments are usually genuine opinions from people who probably have no actual room left (even in storage) for any new machines themselves. While they don't really add anything to the ad for me, I don't see them as malicious shilling either.

I personally find comments with a bit more info such as "I've played this one in the league this year and it truly is a minter" much more useful as if I know the poster, even if only from their forum rep, it can be a helpful guide. Especially for machines that are a bit of a trek away.

On the other hand, the "pricing police" style comments do seem to wind people up a lot. Let's face it, no-ones going to enjoy basically being told they're a rip off merchant when they think they're asking a fair price for something. Obviously your opinion on "fair price" may differ from theirs, but personally I'm of the opinion that games will generally sell if the price is right and won't if its not. It has to be remembered too that paying over the odds for that perfect or hard to find machine can be worth it more to some than to others with more patience or lower budgets.

As has been previously mentioned there is a stickied thread for pricing questions in the Noobies section if you are unsure about pricing either in general or vs specific machine condition. Maybe the "How much..." thread needs to be highlighted in a "buyers guide" sticky in this forum if anyone's of a mind to write one?

You don't need to post "This guys selling a TZ on here for 10k - Is he f**king mental or what?" in there - A simple "Whats the price range for a HUO quality/ mint restore TZ these days?" should be sufficiently non-confrontational for anyone who might actually be selling such a machine at the time without polluting their Sale thread with a load of unwanted pricing arguments.

Not lazy, but, sorting 280,000 plus means I need to learn the site options. Most post seem really old but with 50 online the forum is active. Listing a value, to me is really difficult as the machine taken out of service in 1963 and put in storage to be gone through later. Dad retired and never got to it and I brought it home 3 years ago. Did my best to get missing odds and ends (locks - schematic etc) before turning on. no ball advance - no score advance or progressive coin in change of odds. lost contact with tech who said 1st was main motor on door was bad. Found and now everything sits. How do you come up with a fair selling price request. Yup, I am the Gayety bingo from 1956, three years younger than me. Thanks for approving my membership. Metro St. Louis, Mo. USA

Not lazy, but, sorting 280,000 plus means I need to learn the site options. Most post seem really old but with 50 online the forum is active. Listing a value, to me is really difficult as the machine taken out of service in 1963 and put in storage to be gone through later. Dad retired and never got to it and I brought it home 3 years ago. Did my best to get missing odds and ends (locks - schematic etc) before turning on. no ball advance - no score advance or progressive coin in change of odds. lost contact with tech who said 1st was main motor on door was bad. Found and now everything sits. How do you come up with a fair selling price request. Yup, I am the Gayety bingo from 1956, three years younger than me. Thanks for approving my membership. Metro St. Louis, Mo. USA
Hi

This forum welcomes members from all around the world but do be aware it is UK based. For valuations of machines in the US you might be better off asking on Pinside - which has huge US member base.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom