What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rusty nuts

Drew.m

Site Supporter
Alias
Drew
Morning started restoring a Roadshow and it is suffering from rusty nuts and screws, when I try to remove them they simply shear . Any suggestions would be appreciated
image.jpg

I would be surprised if the playfield is salvageable. Its well beyond what I would attempt to salvage. Maybe you should consider one of these or a used playfield?

To answer your original question better it is near impossible to extract sheared off rusty screws. The plywood that playfields are made of is top quality hardwood and the rust effectively glues the screws into it. You can try drilling out the sheared screw or drilling top of the screw and then using screw extractor drill bit tool but thats really difficult if not near impossible and very time consuming. Other than that the only option is to dig the screw out af the wood and fill the resulting hole and redrill pilot holes. And you will never sand away all the rust staining on the playfield. And the playfield has been very damp and may have issues with inserts lifting or planking or artwork lifting or delamination at the edges. Hence my suggestion to buy new or try to find a better condition playfield.

Last edited:
If it is only a few screws that have sheared it's less of a problem or course and that may affect your decision.

Also when unscrewing use hand tools and not a drill driver and apply constant torque rather than trying to "snap" the screw loose. Hopefully less will then sheared. A drill driver uses too much snap unless you work up through the settings.

For the lamp holders could you file the snapped screw level with the playfield then spin the socket around a little bit and just make a new hole?

Won't be possible for the flipper mechs etc though, which as said above will likely need drilling out and the holes filled and new pilot holes drilled there is a used RS playfield on eBay at the mo.

Thanks everyone I am considering a new playfield but tbh I don’t think the pf has been too damp and I am not going to restore to collector quality as I would like to keep it as original as possible. I tried drilling the snapped screws with a good bit and it worked pretty well. Will let you know how it goes and start a small log .

For the lamp holders could you file the snapped screw level with the playfield then spin the socket around a little bit and just make a new hole?

Won't be possible for the flipper mechs etc though, which as said above will likely need drilling out and the holes filled and new pilot holes drilled there is a used RS playfield on eBay at the mo.
That’s great thx for the heads up

To answer your original question better it is near impossible to extract sheared off rusty screws. The plywood that playfields are made of is top quality hardwood and the rust effectively glues the screws into it. You can try drilling out the sheared screw or drilling top of the screw and then using screw extractor drill bit tool but thats really difficult if not near impossible and very time consuming. Other than that the only option is to dig the screw out af the wood and fill the resulting hole and redrill pilot holes. And you will never sand away all the rust staining on the playfield. And the playfield has been very damp and may have issues with inserts lifting or planking or artwork lifting or delamination at the edges. Hence my suggestion to buy new or try to find a better condition playfield.
Yes I am coming to the conclusion it’s a new pf

With the screws you could try to tighten them slightly first to try and break the grip/tensions on the screw before trying to unscrew them and then gently back and forth motions to loosen and tighten may help get them out, but not too much pressure and take your time.

That’s great thx for the heads up
And note that your existing playfield would likely sell for £100+ as wall art to offset the costs. And the one on ebay still has its t-nuts so one less thing to worry about. Its a much better starting point.

Good luck in bidding!

Back
Top Bottom