What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold Roller Coaster Tycoon

Charliemouse

Registered
I bought this RCT as my first pin since I returned to the UK (having owned WPC machines in France)
I wanted to see what more modern machines were like, and this seemed like a good starting place - not too expensive “lesser rated” pin but exactly the same inside as “top 10” LOTR.

After a few months with it I’m re-hooked and I did indeed buy a LOTR. As I can now only have two (or at a push 3 ?) pins, and what I really want is LOTR/Hobbit/MET/IMDN (those that can count will realise I already have a problem ?), this RCT can now be realeased back into the community.

Before I get into the description let me just address that “lesser rated” pin thing. If I wasn’t stuck for space this would definitely be staying. Here’s why: 7 guests played pinball on bonfire night. (All millennials for full disclosure). They ALL preferred RCT to LOTR. None were interested in all the things that pinheads love LOTR for (eg deep rules). Many loved the Troll ?. RCT is accessible fun and not a drain monster.

Sales pitch over:

The Good:
Cab is very straight and largely factory apart from usual wear around flippers (with protectors would look fine in any collection)
Playfield is very good apart from the kiosk exit wear mark seen almost all RCT’s (and BSD and any with this design of VUK really)
Full LED (couple still to fit I’ll try to get done this week)
LED interactive backbox
NVRAM/battery free
All flippers rebuilt
Plays fast and fun

The Bad:
Still the wear on the cab and playfield by the kiosk
Had a flipper transistor replaced by a gonk who damaged the track. Has a short link back to the next pin along. (Otherwise board is rev G later board and very nice. Rest are original)
One vertical line on DMD displays some unwanted lit parts in some modes... oddly not all. See pics. Not very noticeable in use.

Price £1995 (yeah long ago I sold cars)

D9620CE8-B317-41E7-A6DF-24BBE9ED8100.jpeg
D9620CE8-B317-41E7-A6DF-24BBE9ED8100.jpeg
20598B56-0B7E-437B-94C2-F3EC25BA28F0.jpeg
EFD48A5A-9930-4675-8B16-91B42D88BBCE.jpeg
83521294-ADD7-42E2-9A4D-23004F040BF3.jpeg
377649C3-0212-434D-926C-D33E3D1425D3.jpeg
00CA6791-B27C-491C-A538-BFDAA3CE6A3B.jpeg
00CA6791-B27C-491C-A538-BFDAA3CE6A3B.jpeg
98E61A11-5021-4F5A-A9E4-4C9A41549683.jpeg
A3436049-E7E7-4643-BA8F-536EA09A56F8.jpeg
BC690E3A-2CA7-4B46-A315-B910302A9047.jpeg
485A8ABA-AE0A-4644-B0FA-98C72C79A2E4.jpeg
FABC4DAC-C22D-4B11-8346-35C6DA3F526F.jpeg

Last edited:
Do we have a comprehensive list of Waky members? We should start a post in general... but thanks for the bump ??

Further to “the bad”... @Spadge has very kindly sorted me out a DMD so will be sold with every light/switch/DMD pixel working (which is more than any pinball I’ve ever bought ?)
I might just order the side blades, latest Rom (it’s on v4 but v7 was latest) and just keep it ?

Just answering a question about this machine, on top several “what will you take for it’s”... and I did a bit of thinking and analysis:

I paid £1600 on here, which I think is a bargain for a Whitestar Stern..., and it was reasonably accurately described, but missed a few bits.
I’m a bit of a perfectionist, therefore I have:

Replaced blown transistors (£30)
Fitted a really nice piece of glass (£50)
Full quality Noflix LED’s ( £125)
LED interactive backboard (£130)
£85 on a fully Fully working genuine DMD (£80)
4 flipper rebuild kits, some diodes etc (£100)
All new rubbers (£30)
NVRAM so batteries cannot leak and damage the main board (£25)

I’m sure I’ve missed some bits but it’s now 100% and I’m around £2200 into it and it looks good in my lineup.
We do a lot of Man-maths with this kind of endeavor... I thought accepting an offer around £1900 would cover my costs. Nowhere near!
And why the hell sell it after all that work and when it’s finally working 100%!

All my guests and family love it... but for sale as I would love a Hobbit to go with my LOTR ?

Thanks for your Enquiries all that have. It will make someone happy for Christmas - be it at my house or elsewhere!

Hmm is there no rules for bashing someone's sales thread. I know if I bought it my stomach would be in bits with this bashing of poor RCT

So that’s 4 of us that quite like it... and one “not so keen” (thanks Lee, we haven’t met but we may well ?)
For a “more affordable” end of the market (there are hundreds of pinball titles over just the last 30 years... last time I looked it was statistically difficult for them all to be “top ten” games) and family friendly fun for Christmas, I don’t see much else for sale right now at the price point / era.
It got me straight into two more Stern machines having been a Williams kind of a guy in my previous collection.
I don’t really care what others think about the pros and cons of that... and I’ll keep my options on manufacturers, titles and random fandom to myself. Because I try not to be a knob.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it when I had one . It's better than Nascar in the Lawlor Stern cannon . However it's hard to move on so price point is important. Not every Stern is a big ticket machine (no funfair pun intended!) . The real Stern turkey is Striker Extreme .

Back
Top Bottom