What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roadshow Red Head Disassembly

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
As part of shopping out Roadshow I've taken the Red head apart for cleaning and fixing of some broken parts so thought I'd document what I did (with pics where I took them) in case it helps others who need to do the same. I have no idea whether this is the best way to do it, just the way I did. I've gone with thumbnail pics for this one as there could be quite a few
smile-1.png

1. Undo both of the jaw springs from the back of the plastic jaw part.

View attachment 873

2. Remove the 2 screws with star washers that hold the scoop into the wooden base and take the scoop out (inc the blue solenoid).

View attachment 874

3. Undo the 2 hex screws and remove the micro switch from the wooden base (to the right in the pic, 2 screws close together).

View attachment 875

4. Undo the 4 screws with star washers from the wooden base that hold it in place and then slide the base out of the back of the metal frame.

5. Undo the 4 short screws that hold in the bottom right small red solenoid (eyes open solenoid) and take out the solenoid, it's brackets, the eyes open plunger and spring.

6. Remove the jaw circlip's from each side rear jaw attachment. Take off the washers and remove the jaw plastic.

View attachment 876

7. Remove the small circlip from one side of the jaw movement arm, slide out the pin (with other circlip still attached) and remove the white arm plastic.

View attachment 877

8. Undo the 4 short screws that hold in the top right small red solenoid (eyes shut solenoid) and take out the solenoid, it's brackets, the eyes shut plunger and spring.

View attachment 878

9. Push the white eyelid retaining clip together then push the clip and eyelid plastic in so they pop out of the metal frame. Repeat for both sides to remove the eyelid plastic and both retaining clips.

View attachment 879

10. Remove the 3 screws on the right and 2 screws on the left that hold the eyeball bracket in place. Drop the bracket out with the eyeball plastics and metal links.

[attachment=739:p1010919.JPG]

11. Remove the circlip on the white plastic eye left/right linkage.

View attachment 883

12. Undo one of the screws holding in the thin metal bar that sits behind the eye left/right linkage. Slide the bar out.

[attachment=744:p1010927.JPG]

13. Remove the eye left/right linkage.

View attachment 884

14. Undo the 4 screws in the top of the metal frame and drop out the eye left/right solenoids and the metal link plunger.

View attachment 888

Thats it
biggrin-1.png
You should now have a fully disassembled head and a table that looks like this.....

[attachment=746:p1010930.JPG]

Fantastic! Hope to grab one of these someday and i'm sure this info will come in very handy! Cheers.

No worries, I'm guessing the same steps can be applied to the Ted head (doesn't look any different) and maybe Rudy on FH as well.

Does this now mean you are our resident head expert ? Ooh err..... :confused:
biggrin-1.png

Thats a title I really don't want
smile-1.png

Ok, now for an assembly guide.

I'm hoping its the reverse of the above
wink-1.png
I'm cleaning all the bits at the moment but will update if there are differences when putting it back together. There will definitely be a slight change because the eyes shut plunger came out in 2 bits as it's broken, just need to figure out the best point to put it back in.

Just finished cleaning all the bits so time to put it back together
smile-1.png
A box of parts turned up today so I'm going to replace the eyes shut and eyes open plungers and springs with new.

It's back together
biggrin-1.png
I'll post a pic up in a bit. The only difference during reassembly was making sure the 2 plungers are put back together outside of the head (because they thread though each other) and then fitted back into the head as one lot. Just looking at the Ted head it'll be slightly simpler to take apart as it doesn't have the kicker to pop the ball back out like Red does (already noticed one broken part though).

Good work, are parts easy to get hold of, it looks a complex machine with some of those bits?

Good work, are parts easy to get hold of, it looks a complex machine with some of those bits?

Pinball Heaven stock all the bits needed, I'm guessing because they're also used in FH and common for wearing out and breaking. The finished Red head....

[attachment=749:p1010941.JPG]

Little late to the "show" was trying to take my "red" head apart but all the pictures are of a guy covered in bees or pictures of fishtales. does anyone know where the road show pictures are that go with this write up?

I wrote this before the forum moved hosts and I think the pics got lost/screwed up then. God knows if I've still got the pics on an old laptop somewhere but I suspect they'd be a struggle to find so best to assume they're lost to the mists of time :D

Back
Top Bottom