What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement glass and scratch protection

edsr

Registered
I’ve cleaned the glass and got all the gunk out of the side rails.

The glass is quite badly scratched in places so I’m looking to replace it. There’s a great glass supplier round the corner from me who cut to size so was going to take mine down there to measure up a replacement.

- is there a ‘spec’ for pinball glass, i.e. toughened, safety, tempered, or whatever?

- also the pic below shows the bottom of the right side rail - the previous owner has put some gaffer tape all round the front of the machine which the glass currently slides over (presumably to stop further scratches) but there must be something ‘proper’ that goes here? I can’t find anything online other than some grommets but not sure where they’d go - if someone could post up a pic of their machine so I can see what it’s supposed to look like, it’d be a massive help!

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171106_7777fcfb0718db85d07d30f0b1f31293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Buy the glass from Phil at Pinball Heaven.

I got a game with the wrong glass in it. Too thin. Made the game noisy.

Phil has the right stuff. I think it is toughened. So it shatters into small pieces when broken.

That tape is an aftermarket fit. It could leave glue on your glass. Never seen it before. Normally there is bare wood there. I would remove it and use solvent to remove the glue residue.

Thanks guys, will give it a look tonight and peel it. Now the rails are clear it sounds a lot less crunchy/scratchy removing the glass but it does seem to drag over the tape, so may touch the wood too.

As for the glass itself I’m a very long way from PH and they won’t ship it (collection only), hence asking about the spec. I can get any size and thickness cut locally so just wanted to know if it’s any special type of glass.

The noise is a good point though - perhaps some treatments are better than others for damping the sound.

To quote @pinballmania ....

What is the size of pinball machine Glass?
Standard glass is 533mm x 1092mm x 5mm
Williams/Bally Widebody glass is 603mm x 1092mm x 5mm

Ask for toughened glass. Polished edges else you will rip your hands to shreds if sharp. Ask for 'furniture' safety marking which is smaller and less obtrusive than glazing markings.

Andy also supplies, and he is in Rugby which is a little closer..

On some machines there is a rubber grommet on the apron , this may be missing , if so Andy has them @ pinball mania

I think it's on the wide bodied machines !!

Cheers everyone - you guys are amazing - really appreciate the help.

And for some reason 5mm glass is not a standard thickness in the U.K. my local glass dealer ;) only does 4mm which feels dangerously thin.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171106_895bbf390f770007417d9a6cb047f111.jpg

Looking better. Thanks for the tip on the solvent - took the glue off but not the paint :)

I’ll have to see if Walter White can fix me up with some of that 5mm special stuff [emoji43]

If not I’m near Rugby soon so may pay Pinball Mania a visit.

Back
Top Bottom