What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocating Stern outlane posts - problems

Darthsinex

Site Supporter
The left and right outlane posts on my GOTG are too brutal and there is an option to move them to the hole in front. I've removed the washer and the nut underneath, but cannot shift the post upwards for love nor money. It's stuck fast on both sides. Anyone encountered this and know how to get them out?

Are they screwed in through a metal plate or just pushed through a hole in the wood with the nut and washer underneath? if just through the wood knock them out from underneath ( hammer and punch ). Or unscrew them from the top with a pliers ( being careful not to damage anything ), even if not screwed in through a plate the thread should help them move upwards through the wood.

It is a thread on the underside of the playfield, but is so tight that I tried whacking it with a hammer upwards, no joy. And twisting it from above seems to be having no effect. As you pointed out, I'm nervous about damaging the post with too much grip from pliers.

So they are screwed in through a metal plate? knocking them up won't do anything then. If there's enough thread below the playfield try locking 2 nuts together ( tighten them into each other ) and then try screwing them upwards on one of the nuts.....hope that makes sense.

The posts moved fine (if a bit fiddly) on my GoTG - are you sure you've removed the right nut underneath, I seem to recall there were two very close together

The outlane posts are a real pain to get to on the newer Sterns. They are screwed through a metal 'nut/ring' embedded in the wood.

The only way I've had any success is by removing the nut, then using a pair of pliers above the playfield to hold the post and nut driver (the orange one) on the base of the post, turning the nut driver while keeping the pliers holding the post still.

The main thing to take care of is scratching the metal side rails with the pliers as the post is VERY close to them.

PS I needed to do this to OPEN the right outlane on IMdn as the ball just never seemed to go down there.

Hi There,

I read you post above, are you sure there is a metal nut/ring embedded in the wood for the out-lane posts? I have an Iron Maiden and have moved both my left and right outlane posts and there is def no embedded metal sleeve within the wood. I had a locking nut with washer underneath with the post + washer above. Your method of removal and installation is bang on though ref pliers and care not to cause damage. It was a real pain in the **** having to unscrew the posts out as they appeared to be glued in with what looked like a white thread lock in self threads in wood.
My Iron Maiden Pro out-lanes are brutal, I had to move the posts, even thinking of bigger rubbers :)

On my GOTGLE they are screwed in.. I wouldn’t try and tap them up, that will crack the Clear, and chip the playfield.

It was a PITA but after a lot of turning, and removing a bit of hardware I got them out.

Back
Top Bottom