What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-plating

Brass brush plating looks interesting. Have you tried it

Kit arrived today. So will give it a go. Just re-passivated some parts that an acidic cleaner stripped. Worked well, but it won’t stick where there is corrosion so in that case you need to polish, re-zinc-plate, and then use the yellow passivate. My house looks like a scene from breaking bad at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before/after passivate on new parts.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171218_ac375ccf79f7a994aaa4b87ea090e8f1.jpg

If you’ve had corrosion or put then thru the tumbler it will be patchy at best.

I’d give this 100% - it looks as good as new provided the surface is properly nickel plated.

Last edited:
Ok. Much less success with the brass plating. I’m going to get them done properly. One wireform took me three hours to polish, etch and plate. You have to press quite hard for it to work. I’d allow a day or two to plate a full set (on Baywatch) and at least two bottles of plating solution. It’s really labour intensive and you’d need around 10l of deionised water to do a half decent job. I only managed a very thin and not very gold looking finish.

I’d give it 25% but if I was doing something smaller or easier, like a mod, cliffy, ramp protector or some other flatter metal part, it’d probably work much better.

Another option I did find is to use a gold brass powdercoat which would probably cost the same as a plating kit.

See http://www.ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/powder-coating/special-effects-candy-colours/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And the results are in on the cold blacking process. I’d give it around 75%. The deep gloss black does come off, so you need to wipe it to avoid wrecking clothes if the man from del Monte comes over.

But what’s left behind is still 75% black and probably better than paint, will protect, and not clog threads.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20171219_38ea585ffc316a934a71224776669ac1.jpg

Edit: while the threads look great the finish does wear off the heads so I’ve ended up using bbq paint.

Last edited:
better than paint, will protect, and not clog threads.
Interesting results, I stick them through cardboard and use bar-b-q paint, then heat gun over the heads which provides a tough satin finish. Some before and after bolts in the pic below.

WP_20150927_17_50_03_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom