What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random musings on TAF

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
So my go to game of the last week has been good old Addams :D

I must have played a million games on this over the years but can still fall in love with it all over again.

Some random thoughts ....

I have never, ever had 'Dirty Pool' happen. Never. I long to have it happen just once :rolleyes:

I just cannot resist going for shots I *know* are downright dangerous .... ie slamming it into the chair from a feed to the right flipper, I hit it a lot but can be a SDTM if you miss it :D I get obsessed with making the Train Wreck shot too - even though that can end in tears as the ball careers back out and down the playfield.

My new constant ongoing mission is to get Graveyard At Max, Cousin It and Mamushka all running and then starting a Multiball and just concentrating on the pops :D Points, points, points !

I have recently found I often have more success in multiball if I drain 2 balls then hit the restart shot. This then gives me the opportunity to plunge the ball to the skill shot, and have a nice shot for the 2x Jackpot. Then continue with a less chaotic 2 ball multi . Anyone else do this ??

Seance is still one of the greatest modes in all pinball :clap:

And the 'thwock' as you slam the ball into the Vault is one of the greatest sounds in all pinball.

I've never had dirty pool either. Lots across the vault behind the bookcase but never in. I also go for the chair from both flippers, feels great when it goes in, and yes, train wreck to extra ball only.

I always go for the thing shot straight from multball, might as well try for the jackpot with 3 balls, you always have the backup 2+ball multiball anyway. It is easier from that, but then I always go for the ramp and miss a fair amount of the time!

Nothing better than nailing seance in 3 straight shots. Rare, but awesome.

I fitted inline fuses to the magnets and I could swear that that they are more crazy since. Did do a playfield clean too I suppose. Anyone with a similar experience?

I got Dirty Pool once. Had it land and get stuck on top of the bookcase a couple of times. I think I nudged it in from there for Dirty Pool.

Nailing the seance shots consecutively is so satisfying. Such a great game. For whatever reason the theme fits pinball so well. I'd have another if I could find a really tidy one

Had "Dirty Pool" twice but that was probablly 10 years ago. My TAF sits in the corner of my games room and probably isn't turned on for months at a time but as soon as I do play it again I remember why I love it. Would almost certainly be the last game to leave my collection. There are better games and depper rules but TAF was the game I remember the most from the early 90s.

Last edited:
A shot I loathe to miss on Addams is 2x Bear Kicks. Getting to 100 Bear Kicks is a thrill.

I have had an Addams for nearly 20 years. I have had dirty pool once. A freak bouncing ball behind the vault when it was closed.

The grand daddy of pinball. The theme. The art. The gameplay. The music. The call outs. The reliability. The best modes I have played. The best mode on any Pinball (seance). The biggest seller of all time. Still earning top money on location.

You get the addams family deniers. But you get flat earthists too.

A dirty bitch fight as to which would be last to go from my stable. TAF or Banzai. But TAF would stay.

Am I a denier?

I like TAF but with zero nostalgia for me, it just sits along many many other very good B/W games.

I prefer FT by a mile but hey, the earth is flat, don't you know?

flat-earth-stock.jpg

The only time I've ever had Dirty Pool was this weekend at Flip Out.
The very next game I played AFM and got the ball trapped behind the target bank but despite half a dozen hits with the other balls in play I couldn't cash it in.

Am I a denier?

I like TAF but with zero nostalgia for me, it just sits along many many other very good B/W games.

I prefer FT by a mile but hey, the earth is flat, don't you know?

View attachment 59132

I am with nick on this one!
Agreed using the knocker in a mode is a novelty....and is great fun...but......
Could be the theme for me! And the backbox lacks the integration of flashers..(of the 12v variety) and is not proactive with the game like for example sttng/roadshow etc...
"Thing" slows the game down for me...prefer it switched off.....controversial I know....just my humble opinion.......;)

The only time I've ever had Dirty Pool was this weekend at Flip Out.
The very next game I played AFM and got the ball trapped behind the target bank but despite half a dozen hits with the other balls in play I couldn't cash it in.
I got a ball stuck there the other day . I didn’t know anything about this . What should I have done and what happens if you do?

Agreed the sound the ball makes when you hit the vault is something i never tire of and the seance mode is great, i have had it for about 20 years and tend to play for the mansion what does the train wreck signify?

Never had Dirty pool, but hopefully one day. Everything said here true:
- seem to do better when getting multiball from the re-light then double Jackpot
- Seance just great
- Can't resist 2 X bear kicks
- sound of the ball hitting the vault is just the best.

Never collect quick multiball unless at least one mode running. Usually tunnel hunt which is great. A couple of things to try:

- Only go for GREED and no mansion rooms. Try to get to (at least) the 3rd multiball
- Only play for 4 way combo before starting anything else

Has anyone got a good strategy for Tour? Get the extra ball and then what? Had 2 tours in one game but not 3 (I think).

I have converted a few people now and recently made 2 new pinball addicts. They've started going to Brewdog without me now which is a sign a pure addiction. They're dying to go to Flipout.

Has anyone got a good strategy for Tour? Get the extra ball and then what? Had 2 tours in one game but not 3 (I think).
I'm only at 2 also. For me, early strategy is about extra balls (bear ramp, train wreck, tour the mansion) which (should) lead to more mansion rooms. I ignore Graveyard at Max and regularly ignore Raise the Dead. Too many drains from the graveyard. I never manage to actively drive mansion rooms with multiball but as you say, no rush to pick up quick multiball.

Reactions: DRD
It's almost worth tilting this game to hear "he-he-he, you're a funny guy"

"Thing" slows the game down for me...prefer it switched off.....controversial I know....just my humble opinion.......;)

Similarly, I found Twilight Zone more enjoyable with Gumball, Powerball & Clock disabled, due to a technical fault

I got a ball stuck there the other day . I didn’t know anything about this . What should I have done and what happens if you do?
If you shoot the target bank and knock the ball through to the Saucer, it instantly awards another city to defeat.

My random musing is that I just stumbled on an old video of MM I used to own and completely forgot that it had a colourDMD!

Kicking myself that I didn’t take it out before I sold it cos I’d love one in my TAF :(

Ooooooh ....just has something interesting happen that I don't think I have seen before :D

Multiball, I'm down to 2 balls, I nail the regular Jackpot, the Vault opens for the relight Jackpot shot ..... I somehow slam both balls into the Vault in quick succession and am awarded a Double Jackpot ! :clap: Is this a secret rule I didn't know about ?

Reactions: DRD
With TAF you also need to think back to what else was in arcades when it came out.

Stuff like the late system 11s
The iffy late Ballys
Data East Simpsons/ Turtles/ Checkpoint
WPC Bop, Hurricane, Fish Tales
Late Gottlieb stuff

TAF was in a totally different league. It was absolutely everywhere. So even if an individual may be able to look at it objectively, many others have a much deeper connection with it.

With TAF you also need to think back to what else was in arcades when it came out.

Stuff like the late system 11s
The iffy late Ballys
Data East Simpsons/ Turtles/ Checkpoint
WPC Bop, Hurricane, Fish Tales
Late Gottlieb stuff

TAF was in a totally different league. It was absolutely everywhere. So even if an individual may be able to look at it objectively, many others have a much deeper connection with it.

The games I remember seeing *everywhere* were T2 and Fish Tales, both of which I played to death whenever I could .... oddly enough way more than TAF. It wasn't until I owned one that I really fell in love with it.

T2 was fun back then, but it's a glorified Sys 11 game really, which bored me quickly when I owned it.

Ooooooh ....just has something interesting happen that I don't think I have seen before :D

Multiball, I'm down to 2 balls, I nail the regular Jackpot, the Vault opens for the relight Jackpot shot ..... I somehow slam both balls into the Vault in quick succession and am awarded a Double Jackpot ! :clap: Is this a secret rule I didn't know about ?

With glass off I just replicated this to check it again. Yep - 2 balls in quick succession awards a Double Jackpot and relights Super Jackpot.

With glass off I just replicated this to check it again. Yep - 2 balls in quick succession awards a Double Jackpot and relights Super Jackpot.

Lawlors design team had some genius programming. They thought of everything.
It’s the finer details I appreciate. Like in Funhouse the way Rudis jaw chatters when he’s snoring is genius.

Starting to pay attention to any thread with TAF in now, before I’d always let them pass me by.

No idea what dirty pool is but by the sounds of it I’ll never find out!!

Pretty sure there weren’t any Fish Tales about when TAF came out, as it didn’t even exist!?

Iv'e had my TAF about 8 years, no 'dirty pool' for me (yet) either.

Back in the 90's we used to choose the pub of choice on which pin they had, TAF was always the one we would travel for, then WH2O, and FT, they were the days.

Kind of miss those days.

TAF will be the last pin I will get rid of, love it!

Chris.

@taz turbo We traveled to various pubs for the same reasons. TAF was the pub of choice but also Wh2O and TZ were top of the list. Great times and memories.

Also agree, my TAF will never leave me. Maybe I can be buried in it when I die? Not sure that's been done before and the family can hold a Seance! :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom