What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS4 VR advice please

Tony

Site Supporter
Alias
Tony
Hello there unfortunately not pinball! but I think I can remember a few of you know about this stuff?
My lads 9 and thinking about updating the Xbox 360 (yep I know it’s old but it’s done us proud), i’ve Seen that the PS4 can have a VR headset? Anyone know If these are any good? At this stage it’s just for a taster of VR, I have heard that it really needs a “super computer etc” to do the VR thing properly and I don’t have the need for anything like that at the moment just really wanting to play Star Wars battlefront and also have the option of the VR? all i’m Really after is some advice if the PS4 is as good as the next Xbox one? And if the VR thing is worth while and what extra bits do I need?
Or if with the new PS5 coming out, is anyone wanting to move on there old PS4 with the VR bits?
Any advice comments welcome as I haven’t got a clue?
Thanks Tony

Last edited:
On VR titles, they mostly have brief and very short lived wow factor. None are very deep and engaging experiences and it’s pretty uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

I come from games as a career and have always been aware that VR was coming as soon as the hardware was ready. In the PS4 it’s mostly there was the headset is very low resolution and this has a negative impact on the effects, so I’d say it isn’t ready yet.

If your son is super keen then I would probably pick one up 2nd hand.

Cons;
- wires and cables everywhere
- quite a bit of set up
- low resolution spoils effect
- experiences are short
- controls are poor moving in 3D
- very insular, can’t be enjoyed socially

Pros;
- fair amount of games and stuff
- some cool stuff out there
- can offer something new

However I would recommend the PS4 as a very good console with a ton of very good software.

Maybe the ps5 will be around in a year bur PS4 pro is good value, especially 2nd hand, it also wiped the floor with miscrosoft in this generation.

I’d also look at switch, very good and something different.

Last edited:
I really would try one before you invest, I could not get used to it and a few others I know had the same problem, after 10 minutes on any game would get motion sickness........

Thanks for your comments I think i’m Going to go the PS4 way and maybe add the VR bit later
Thanks Tony

PSVR is £199 now with a game. My daughter has one and it's great. You get loads of free games + one each month (full title) from PS plus.

PSVR makes me want to chuck after 10 minutes. I can play HTC Vive for hours. I think it's the framerate or something.

Thanks for the comments all appreciated, even the nausea ones!
This is the plan get s PS4 then add to it later with a VR set up.
The new question is what PlayStation system is anyone using? I’ve been told that the original PS4 will do it, and that the slim is really the same as the PS4, but the pro is a lot better “but some say that unless your running it through a 4K tv it isn’t worth it?” Any any advice? PS4 appear like good money but are a few years old? The pro sounds great but is a lot more money i’ve Not got or plan to have a 4K tv, so would it be worth the extra money? Thanks

I had a launch PS4, then a PS4 Pro, then a slim and then another standard PS4..... I tend to sell them when they get dusty and then re-buy when something comes out that I want to play. I have a big 4K telly and honestly I found the difference between the Pro and the standard to be kinda small, it is title depending though. I will be buying another just now for Red Dead Redemption 2 and I won't bother with the Pro. All that said I can't comment on PSVR and how it runs on them respectively

HDR is supposed to be good on expensive 4K TVs. I have a cheap 4K TV which I consider to have a nice picture but the reviews say that it does HDR in name only.

Any sufferers of motion sickness will be ill pretty instant .
Hardcore gaming uses a pad and I would personally get an Xbox one s / x
4k blu ray player and carry your game score over / chuck of backwards compatible games too .

PS4 or Xbox now there’s a debate! I was going to go the Xbox s / one route, but the PS4 write up does look better? And I do quite like the idea of adding the VR stuff later.
Haven’t they sold something like 70,000 PS4 consoles to xbox’s 30,000? I’m a Xbox 360 fan!

Whats everyones view on VR currently, is it worth getting into?

Tempted to try PS4 & VR

I had a ps4 VR for a little while, it was ok but ultimately I wasn't using it very often so sold it. I've just bought a Quest though and loving that, and with the upcoming oculus link you can stream games from your ( if you have one ) more powerful pc/laptop, basically turning the quest into a Rift S.

I have a HTC Vive Vr Headset but have not used it for about 6 months, its great at first but the software i have tried is not really good enough and feels very early adopter/demo state. My worry is that if you wear it for prolonged periods (i did like 1 game Arizona sunshine which was genuinely scary ) when you take it off you feel a bit disconnected and slightly down, anyway Google has now dripped Daydream VR and the BBC has closed its VR research lab which although they tend to be smartphone focused VR it is a statement on the whole scene.

One option would be to get a standard PS4 (not a pro) and use the money saved to get an Oculus VR headset. A standard PS4 will still be considerable update to your xbox 360, and I think it's fair to say that any of the Oculus headsets are much better than the PS VR headset, and they have a much bigger software library. As @kevlar mentioned, the Oculus quest doesn't even need a PC to work, it has a computer built into it.

I have an Oculus Rift and although the headset is good, I'm underwhelmed with the software that's available for it. I'm not really interested in playing games in VR, I prefer to game on a TV. So for me it's all about the experiences. There are some great non game experiences in VR, but not enough to keep me entertained for long and hence I've only used the headset a couple of times in the last year.

If you're interested in VR gaming then you'll certainly get more use out of a headset, but bear in mind VR gaming is not a social activity.

VR is awesome! It's had a fairly slow uptake for a number of reasons but it's not going away anytime soon. Hopefully now that we're starting to see good quality games like Asgard's Wrath more people will get into VR. I think that some developers haven't helped the situation by forcing irritating 'comfort settings' on players with teleportation and blinkers etc. Valve didin't help the situation either with the awful HTC Vive controllers. We're going to start seeing more and more games with traditional locomotion methods of free roaming walking and running now so that should help. Also game engines have had major overhauls to the rendering optimisation in the last few years which means it's now possible to go AAA graphically. So I think it's just a matter of remaining patient really. I'm working on two VR games at the moment. The industry is heavily invested in VR.

Went PS4 in the end got it the lad (honest) for Christmas and went for the VR headset, and we really like it! The x-wing free add on to battlefront is worth getting just on its own! Just got ace combat 7 which is a fighter pilot game and that’s really good, gone with the flight stick also
Not regretting getting it and prices are coming down for second hand stuff, didn’t go Ps4 pro and it seems to manage it fine. There are rumours that PS5 is due out back end of next year? But there’s loads of stuff for the PS4 so for the money I think it’s great

Last edited:
You never know but PS5 may make this system less of an issue in the comfort side.
I suggest leaving it till man can stomach it :)

PS5 is coming Xmas 2020 I'd say (at an educated guess). Everything is going to need to be backwards compatible though for a while so as not to annoy base PS4 owners. All PS4 Pro games MUST currently work on PS4. And I imagine the same will be true going into PS5 to an extent at least. In terms of the PSVR headset, if you (as a developer) crank up the resolution settings, you'd be astonished at how well it performs. I don't expect Sony to be needing to upgrade the headset just yet.

Vimtoman....get in there, you need to earn your VR legs!

Here's one of my upcoming games

That looks very good Mr. Zombie, which platforms will it be on?
Thanks! It's currently running on PC, Oculus Rift CV1, base spec (and that video recorded on) 4GB GTX980. I'll be looking to expand into Valve Index, Knuckles etc, so if anyone has those they can loan me for a week or two please let me know!

I've got a CV1 Rift and it is good but I look forward to the next gen with higher FOV and more pixels. But that will require better pcs so it'll require an upgrade.

I think the rift is great for social stuff. With my shifts I barely get time the meet friends but it's amazing how you can jump in VR and chat with strangers. Feels odd at first though.

I like going into Big screen and watching a movie or episode of a series on a big screen laying on my sofa.
It's strange how relaxed it makes me compared to sitting and watching on TV. Maybe it's the shutting out the world and being unable to do anything else so you're focused on one thing.
I find that really valuable in this modern time where its too easy to pick up your phone.

I also enjoy using BOXVR as a fitness tool, especially as it can use your own music.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Started using my PSVR again recently. Day 1 the motion sickness hit after only 15 minutes on Resident Evil 7.

Day 2 I had some ginger ale, ginger biscuits before starting and had a fan pointing at me. The difference was huge, managed almost an hour in 1 sitting on the same game. Could do Gran Turismo Sport without any sick feeling at all.

Borderlands vr on psvr is the greatest video game I have ever played. Vr is great it has its limitation / it’s not a Hollodeck but I would advice anyone with a PS4 to get it - it’s very cheap at the mo

Started using my PSVR again recently. Day 1 the motion sickness hit after only 15 minutes on Resident Evil 7.

Day 2 I had some ginger ale, ginger biscuits before starting and had a fan pointing at me. The difference was huge, managed almost an hour in 1 sitting on the same game. Could do Gran Turismo Sport without any sick feeling at all.

Resi Evil is quite a sick inducing game in VR, especially those corridors - great experience though.
I like the ginger biscuits idea, any excuse to eat biscuits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom