What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Project Me Up

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Hi all,

BSD will be done I am hoping in the next few weeks - so I am looking for projects to add to my collection - why a project? Well it is within my budget and it keeps me doing something, but mainly, honestly, budget.

So... what am I looking for? Of course - a bargain.

I have asked for projects before, but usually are a few hundred off of realistic market pricing, needing everything doing - so I will be (un?)realistic with what I am willing to pay.

DMD era games - £700 - £1,000 depending on title - unless you have an AFM TOM or MM - which, of course, I would pay much more for, beyond that, not really going to work for me.

Alpha-Numerics £500 - £650, would be willing to pay more for FH (or BOP, but not much on that one)

Please feel free to comment, tell me I am mad, or as I think being fair, there are probably other titles that are worth more than listed, but this is for my collection, so these are what interest me.

The money is ready and waiting for the right thing.

Thanks all,
Hope to have some PM's soon :)

Can I just interject here James and say that regardless of us only being new friends, in the situation that someone offers up a good priced Diner and you take it I will hate you forever. x

Hi James.

If you were in the hobby a decade ago these prices would be okay.

But it is like buying and selling a house these days. If the high end stuff goes up (dont forget some restorations are £10K plus) - then everything else under it rises in value.

Pinflation is what it is referred to here.

Another idea would be to ask to borrow a machine, I know @steve brum often has games he likes to loan out and wants to get repaired for the exchange of enjoying it for a few months. I did an AC/DC for him a couple of years ago - that actually saved me from paying £4k+ as I was going to buy one, but I did not enjoy the AC/DC pro. That would get your skill set improving. I do not know if Steve still offers machines out.....

You may be better to look at Gumtree for a project as that is where things end up that people buy, thinking they can fix - and then reselling.

Oh - yes - you are mad - but everyone is on this forum.

Hope you get something sorted bud! :)

Everything loaned out at moment. Easier to sell projects than tidy working machines. Probably why BrIan hasnt bothered getting that truck stop to work . When you see non working harlem globetrotters sell 900 and a working party zone the same week sell 970 there is no logic to the market

Can I just interject here James and say that regardless of us only being new friends, in the situation that someone offers up a good priced Diner and you take it I will hate you forever. x

Any Diner I hear about I will be coming to you with - don't worry :)

If you were in the hobby a decade ago these prices would be okay.

Where should a DMD era project be if not at £1k? Bearing in mind that most DMD games sell at the £1500 - £1700 price point.

What Steve brum said ! Most DMD games can be repaired pretty easily if you have electronic knowledge and experience. I have not had one that can not be fixed from the WPC era.

Whats the worst that happens - a £200 CPU board if its leaked with battery acid?

I repaired a friends AFM last week he bought as a project. Took me a day and probably £40 in parts. A lot of people can not trace say a duff transistor on the lamp matrix or a wire off a switch matrix.

I have seen JUNK machines change hands for silly money on ebay. Maybe £300 difference to a working one.

As long as complete location is more important than working condition it seems . A recent visitor was looking at my sorry looking 3rd string jurassic park and his logic was if I can save £300 on a dead one I'll take it but it has to be 100% complete AND can I see the display working in another game . To us the most important resource is time so there are games we may sell as complete projects but they won't be massively cheaper than a playing game . When we have games void of boards and displays we expect a low price but it doesnt always follow ! Some folk have parts and time . Horses for courses

I think James Bird is @BallyWilliams suck on here? I could be totally wrong. Wouldnt be the first time. He does have lots of machines in varying degrees of repair. But literally they are hard to get to. If you had seen his place you would understand why!

Thanks @Pick Holder - contacted a few of the local jukebox and fruit machine guys - nothing right now but they don't get involved and get offered stuff fairly often so will come to me now :)

Are you looking for a project mainly because you want a machine to work on or because you want to make a bit of money to help fund purchases a bit further up the pin ladder.

Also, what sort of thing are you after? Working electronics but mechs and playfield etc need stripping and cleaning, or dodgy electronics to fix up?

The only reason I ask, is I've got projects that I haven't got round to doing yet, mainly because I haven't got the space (Lou wasn't too happy when I turned the games room into a workshop taking the last one to bits) but also because of a lack of time.

I don't really want to sell them, but if you are desperate for something to play with and tart up while you are looking for something else, then you could possibly borrow one of these and do it up. I'd pay for parts obviously and you get to do the project and play the machine for a bit?

Hey @DanLewell - not looking to make money to go up the ladder no - just want games in the collection to play. Tarting up, electronics whatever really... check out my shop logs, I am in no means the most confident, hence why buying is my preferred route... Doing them up for me was the best way as I was thinking like BSD I can get them enough under market to say to my wife - hey I haven't paid too much.

@Matt Vince - after playing Neil's Data East ST - sorry but no, that game and me do not gel, but I am into DE's!

Ok, we should be able to sort something out then if you want to.

I use that excuse with the missus all the while, it was cheap so it's ok... If any of us die unexpectedly our wives are going to sell our collections for the "£500 we paid for each of them." :eek::eek:

The projects I've got lined up are:

DESW - electronics working, so you can start a game and play it but missing some playfield bits. For example the switch is missing from the ramp so it doesn't know when you have made the ramp. I've some gates and switches from some other DE games so I'm hoping to bastardise something to sort that out. I've got a replacement plastics set for it, but it needs a full strip and rebuild.

Cue Ball Wizard - works and you can play a game. Weird issue where it goes crazy during one of the multiballs and starts firing random solenoids. needs to be stripped and cleaned as well.

BOP - no idea if it works or not. Bought it from Chris B earlier this year because it was too cheap not to buy. He hadn't seen it let alone power it up. It's been in the warehouse at work since it arrived. needs some woodwork surgery on the cab before anything else can happen as it was sitting in a basement for years and damp has got to it. looks like it is all complete, all I've done is drill the locks to get into it, and I've taken the batteries out so they didn't leak while it is sitting waiting to get looked at.

I know BOP is on your wish list but didn't know if the woodworking is something you are interested in. I don't want to shell out for a new cab as my plan was to either make one myself or just repair the one that is knackered.

Let me know if any of them are of any interest and we can work something out.

yeah, it's pretty knackered. I think is only 1 side that is completely trashed, but it might get worse as it gets taken apart for fixing.

Ok, we should be able to sort something out then if you want to.

I use that excuse with the missus all the while, it was cheap so it's ok... If any of us die unexpectedly our wives are going to sell our collections for the "£500 we paid for each of them." :eek::eek:

The projects I've got lined up are:

DESW - electronics working, so you can start a game and play it but missing some playfield bits. For example the switch is missing from the ramp so it doesn't know when you have made the ramp. I've some gates and switches from some other DE games so I'm hoping to bastardise something to sort that out. I've got a replacement plastics set for it, but it needs a full strip and rebuild.

Cue Ball Wizard - works and you can play a game. Weird issue where it goes crazy during one of the multiballs and starts firing random solenoids. needs to be stripped and cleaned as well.

BOP - no idea if it works or not. Bought it from Chris B earlier this year because it was too cheap not to buy. He hadn't seen it let alone power it up. It's been in the warehouse at work since it arrived. needs some woodwork surgery on the cab before anything else can happen as it was sitting in a basement for years and damp has got to it. looks like it is all complete, all I've done is drill the locks to get into it, and I've taken the batteries out so they didn't leak while it is sitting waiting to get looked at.

I know BOP is on your wish list but didn't know if the woodworking is something you are interested in. I don't want to shell out for a new cab as my plan was to either make one myself or just repair the one that is knackered.

Let me know if any of them are of any interest and we can work something out.
Hi Dan, sent pm about SW if you are interested in selling as a project to me for my collection. Been after one for ages and can't afford one that is all done in perfect working order, so needs to be a project. Thanks.

I don't really want to sell any of them.

I don't mind lending one out to give James something to do, but don't want to get rid of any permanently.

Aprreciated will be in touch might have something incoming but will keep posted

I don't really want to sell any of them.

I don't mind lending one out to give James something to do, but don't want to get rid of any permanently.
Ok Dan, thanks for letting me know. If you hear of another DE SW going, I would appreciate if you wouldn't mind letting me know. Thanks very much, Mike.

Back
Top Bottom