What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project DELTA - Pin area - Yet another extension on the house!

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Having already taken over what was the kids playroom, and then expanding quickly into the sun room, and still wanting more pins, I've taken the plunge and started the ball rolling to see if I can extend this house for the 4th time.

First job was to get a Topographical survey, which wa done last week, so now we have accurate elevation and size measurements of the whole plot and existing building.

Architects have been engaged and have played around with some initial ideas, plan is to extend out the current sun room, at right angles and go out as far as we can into the bottom end of the garden.

Current sun room is this:

IMG_8872.JPG

Plan is this:
Perspective Proposed.jpg
upload_2018-3-4_10-31-6.png

Asked the architects to make it bigger (they just don't understand the need for vastness of space, and are worried it won't get through planning).

Can't wait for the revised plans.........

I like how they have different pinball machines on the plan. Thought it would be easier to replicate the same one over and over again. Attention to details is everything.

Bin the drum kit in the meantime. Precious pin space going wasted right there.

Bin the drum kit in the meantime. Precious pin space going wasted right there.
The drum kit has already been binned (into the living room) - here's the current situation - and, yes, the dining table and settee are next on the hit list!

IMG_9232.JPG

Designs have been finalised, a few changes and a lot of discussions around current planning guidelines. We are way over what the guidelines suggest. Usually 4m from the original house, but govt. is allowing 8m until 2019, however, we are currently at around 14m based on this design, so a big chance this won't get approval.

vis 1.png
vis 2.png

What the hell, I'm just going to put in the planning application anyway and see what happens.

These visuals get better everytime. We now have pinball players as well as the existing range of different machines.
They should grant you approval just for the sheer effort put into the details.

Designs have been finalised, a few changes and a lot of discussions around current planning guidelines. We are way over what the guidelines suggest. Usually 4m from the original house, but govt. is allowing 8m until 2019, however, we are currently at around 14m based on this design, so a big chance this won't get approval.

View attachment 60905
View attachment 60906

What the hell, I'm just going to put in the planning application anyway and see what happens.
Looks great and someone has had a bit of fun with those visuals!

Are you working with an architect and/or planning consultant? They should be working with you to get something actually built within the constraints, not playing to your fantasies!

Looks great and someone has had a bit of fun with those visuals!

Are you working with an architect and/or planning consultant? They should be working with you to get something actually built within the constraints, not playing to your fantasies!

yes using architects. we all understand the risks. anything smaller just doesn’t work so we’ve built a good supporting document to accompany the planning app. fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning application went in a couple of days ago whilst I was in Texas. Leeds Council planning dept have confirmed yesterday that they've received it. Today I got a nosey neighbour approaching me to tell me he'd seen the application. (I think he spends everyday just searching the planning application portal website - ffs).

Apparently they will write to some of the neighbours, especially the ones who adjoin the property at the rear - the really good news is they've just put their house up for sale, so hopefully won't give a toss - I'm gonna go tell em about it anyway - armed with flowers, chocolates and lots of booze, of course.

Ask the nosey neighbour if he is selling as is or with planning permission.
Sounds like he is trying to sell with planning permission granted for something on his house so he can ask for more then face value.

I'm only speculating but if he is it may have an influence on your ideas.

Ask the nosey neighbour if he is selling as is or with planning permission.
Sounds like he is trying to sell with planning permission granted for something on his house so he can ask for more then face value.

I'm only speculating but if he is it may have an influence on your ideas.
The nosey one is not moving for sure - he's been here 30+ years and loves it, and good news he is the other side of road to me, so what I do at the back of my house, he doesn't see anyway. It's the other neighbours at the back who are flitting

Alan,
looks fantastic.

Is it in the line of sight of anyone? I was worried that the neighbour to the left of me would complain (especially as I'd set fire to her swimming pool) but my planning advice guy said she can complain all she likes because the building is well out of the natural field of view it wouldn't have a bearing on the planning. Luckily for me she was also selling and had just exchange contracts when the planning was in the feedback period.

the process in Surrey really was a lottery. initially I had a guy that was all ok with the whole thing but then he was replaced by a new employee and this was her first case. So she followed the book and insisted on a pointless arbocultral survey (basically 800quid for some guy to tell me I need to be careful around the trees!) If you get some by the book muppet you might get computer says no. When I was looking to submit my application I trawled the planning database to find similar builds and found 5. Three were approved, two declined. One of the two that were declined where because of the amount of garden that would be lost. The other was that it was close to the neighbours boundary and was perceived as a fire risk!!! There was another bunch that had PP in for an indoor pool that was rejected because they had done extension before to the property and had given some sort of commitment that the place wouldn't be extended any more.

Good luck with the application!

Neil.

good luck, our extension is with planning and includes demolishing the garage, rebuilding attached to the property, extending above for another bedroom, en suite and walk in wardrobe, then conversion of the conservatory to a room and a games room at the rear of the new garage.

Our architect was nowhere near as good with the renderings though, just a straight front side and rear elevation!

yours looks ace

good luck, our extension is with planning and includes demolishing the garage, rebuilding attached to the property, extending above for another bedroom, en suite and walk in wardrobe, then conversion of the conservatory to a room and a games room at the rear of the new garage.

Our architect was nowhere near as good with the renderings though, just a straight front side and rear elevation!

yours looks ace
thanks, and good luck with yours too. I'm using a young team of architects, so they have been trained at Uni in these new 3D rendering software packages. Most of the established architects don't seem to have these, and just stick to the traditional elevation plans and nothing else.

thanks, and good luck with yours too. I'm using a young team of architects, so they have been trained at Uni in these new 3D rendering software packages. Most of the established architects don't seem to have these, and just stick to the traditional elevation plans and nothing else.

Those 3D renders look flash & good, but if the scheme doesn’t ‘work’ on the plans your builders will have a field day.

Shameless plug: My wife is a fully qualified architect, business owner & had her designs featured on Building the Dream. She’s ‘only’ 37. Don’t let age get in the way - we know older architects who only deal in pen line drawings & can’t work an iPad (fact) which really worries me, let alone their poor clients. She focusses on the client’s brief which eventually leads to real plans. 3D visualisations can’t be built from (unless you want a builder to grab you by the balls), but sometimes requested if a client requires a picture to appreciate the design. She’s just as happy with 3D as 2D, but 2D is the bread and butter which gets things built.

Fingers crossed for your planning application!

Senior Planner from Leeds City council is visiting Friday morning for a site visit. Says it will only take 5 minutes. No idea what she's wanting to look at.

thats great news Alan!

Now the hard part starts! Good Luck!

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom