What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powder coating - safe?

Durzel

Registered
Looking at getting my TAF side rails, lockdown bar and legs painted or powder coated, probably the latter now that I know that it's possible to have finishes other than plain old matt (the more you know)..

However, I read some comments by @robotgreg saying that B/W rails warp when you powder coat them? Is that 100% confirmed?

Do people just powder coat the lockdown bar and legs, and get the rails painted the same colour?

Some pretty cool finishes available here - http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection

Looking at getting my TAF side rails, lockdown bar and legs painted or powder coated, probably the latter now that I know that it's possible to have finishes other than plain old matt (the more you know)..

However, I read some comments by @robotgreg saying that B/W rails warp when you powder coat them? Is that 100% confirmed?

Do people just powder coat the lockdown bar and legs, and get the rails painted the same colour?

Some pretty cool finishes available here - http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection

HMG are great I literally live 60 seconds from them and used their products several times

Best speaking to a local powder coater to determine how much powder you need as it can get costly if you over order!

Dont they bake it? maybe thats whats caused the warping.

So took all the bits to a powder coater this morning, he has said he thinks it'll be between 1-2kg of powder required. I mentioned about clear coating and he said it shouldn't really be necessary. Tempted to get it clear coated anyway though for longevity.

Torn between a turquoise sparkle to match the lightning, or a violet/indigo to match the logo...

IMG_2555.jpeg

Have asked if it's possible to reduce the glitter effect a bit so that it's basically black but with sparkle when you are looking for it, and he said it should be possible. He also didn't think there would be any problem with warping...

Turquoise :
Lilac :
Sapphire :

Thoughts?

Cheers. Turquoise (well, light blue) is the dominant colour on the cabinet art (lightning), so I was leaning towards that too.

Cheers. Turquoise (well, light blue) is the dominant colour on the cabinet art (lightning), so I was leaning towards that too.
that was my logic too.

I'd say clear coating is not necessary - just try to keep big chunky metal strap watches off it if you're bothered.

From what I could tell the cost of clear coating it would be nominal, like an extra £30 or something according to the guy.

I'm very careful with my games but I'm more thinking friends or whatever with rings or watches or whatever, particularly on the lockdown bar.

If there's no downside to clear coating at all for the sake of £30 I'd probably just get it done.

From what I could tell the cost of clear coating it would be nominal, like an extra £30 or something according to the guy.

I'm very careful with my games but I'm more thinking friends or whatever with rings or watches or whatever, particularly on the lockdown bar.

If there's no downside to clear coating at all for the sake of £30 I'd probably just get it done.

I would say it’s not needed at all?

Ok. You've got a lot more experience than I have.. I've never had something powder coated before :)

Tangentially related, but does anyone know where I can find this decal (without buying the whole set) ?

image_42137_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom