Powder coating - safe?

Durzel

Oct 1, 2017
Bath, UK
Looking at getting my TAF side rails, lockdown bar and legs painted or powder coated, probably the latter now that I know that it's possible to have finishes other than plain old matt (the more you know)..

However, I read some comments by @robotgreg saying that B/W rails warp when you powder coat them? Is that 100% confirmed?

Do people just powder coat the lockdown bar and legs, and get the rails painted the same colour?

Some pretty cool finishes available here - http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection

Tilt_Birmingham

Apr 26, 2016
birmingham
Looking at getting my TAF side rails, lockdown bar and legs painted or powder coated, probably the latter now that I know that it's possible to have finishes other than plain old matt (the more you know)..

However, I read some comments by @robotgreg saying that B/W rails warp when you powder coat them? Is that 100% confirmed?

Do people just powder coat the lockdown bar and legs, and get the rails painted the same colour?

Some pretty cool finishes available here - http://www.hmgpowdercoatings.com/powder-coating/signature-finish-collection
HMG are great I literally live 60 seconds from them and used their products several times

Best speaking to a local powder coater to determine how much powder you need as it can get costly if you over order!

Vimtoman

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
London

Dont they bake it? maybe thats whats caused the warping.

OP
OP
Durzel

Durzel

Oct 1, 2017
Bath, UK
So took all the bits to a powder coater this morning, he has said he thinks it'll be between 1-2kg of powder required. I mentioned about clear coating and he said it shouldn't really be necessary. Tempted to get it clear coated anyway though for longevity.

Torn between a turquoise sparkle to match the lightning, or a violet/indigo to match the logo...

IMG_2555.jpeg

Have asked if it's possible to reduce the glitter effect a bit so that it's basically black but with sparkle when you are looking for it, and he said it should be possible. He also didn't think there would be any problem with warping...

Turquoise :
Lilac :
Sapphire :

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Durzel

Durzel

Oct 1, 2017
Bath, UK
From what I could tell the cost of clear coating it would be nominal, like an extra £30 or something according to the guy.

I'm very careful with my games but I'm more thinking friends or whatever with rings or watches or whatever, particularly on the lockdown bar.

If there's no downside to clear coating at all for the sake of £30 I'd probably just get it done.

Spadge

Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2016
Wakefield
From what I could tell the cost of clear coating it would be nominal, like an extra £30 or something according to the guy.

I'm very careful with my games but I'm more thinking friends or whatever with rings or watches or whatever, particularly on the lockdown bar.

If there's no downside to clear coating at all for the sake of £30 I'd probably just get it done.
I would say it’s not needed at all?