What's new

Playfield waxing, now game very fast..

Durzel

Registered
I cleaned & waxed my TZ today with some carnauba wax, it was already visually clean but figured "what the hell". Didn't really remove much from the play field, so not a proper job, but still took my time with it and applied 2 coats.

Anyway, after I finished it I played a quick game... and got a dismal score.

Basically now the slot machine absolutely fires the ball down, and the rocket shot is barely visible it's so fast. The whole game seems like 20% faster than it was, and I'm even losing balls because post rebounds and loops are like bullets.

I also installed some Cliffy protectors at the same time, but I can't see how that could affect the speed.

Is this just what to expect after waxing?

Yup. Great ain’t it ?
I once made the mistake of waxing Iron Man. During the first game I played I took a shot at the right ramp and the next thing I knew the DMD was adding up my bonus. I hadn’t even seen the ball drain it went that fast. :rofl:

Happened on my Metallica after cleaning it with Novus 1, my scores took a serious dip. Just keep playing it and it will settle back down. Did the same on my WOZ which made it play better, so seems dependant on each game whether playing faster improves gameplay or not.

Yup. Great ain’t it ?
I once made the mistake of waxing Iron Man. During the first game I played I took a shot at the right ramp and the next thing I knew the DMD was adding up my bonus. I hadn’t even seen the ball drain it went that fast. :rofl:
Iron Man + wax = tears

I wax mine a lot. TWD has been waxed about 4 times and I've only had it just over a month or so. Pretty much whenever I spot a bit of dust on the playfield the glass comes out and the wax goes on.

Played a couple of games since, and not much changed really, although I am getting a bit more used to the speed. As said above I think it's improving hand/eye co-ordination :rofl:

The biggest change is that the slot machine shot carries so much speed to the flipper that if you hold it up, it rebounds all the way back up either straight back in or to the right flipper for an easy Camera shot. It's basically turned my game into the Pinball Arcade version of TZ with repeatable easy Camera shots.

Still losing loads of balls from bullet post rebounds & loops o_O

The whole cleaning & waxing was quite theraputic so I can see myself doing it regularly despite the change.

Played a couple of games since, and not much changed really, although I am getting a bit more used to the speed. As said above I think it's improving hand/eye co-ordination :rofl:

The biggest change is that the slot machine shot carries so much speed to the flipper that if you hold it up, it rebounds all the way back up either straight back in or to the right flipper for an easy Camera shot. It's basically turned my game into the Pinball Arcade version of TZ with repeatable easy Camera shots.

Still losing loads of balls from bullet post rebounds & loops o_O

The whole cleaning & waxing was quite theraputic so I can see myself doing it regularly despite the change.
It will settle down. Can’t you dead flip the slot machine eject ? My TZ used to go nicely over to the left flipper if I just let it hit the right flipper.
Might also be a good opportunity to learn how to drop catch from the eject.

Will try dead flipping.. not sure how confident I feel about that though given how fast it's coming out. The waxing has turned it into a different game in terms of predictability, and I'm still learning :)

It's actually quite funny because I've played some games with a friend, and there is a shot where the ball loops around the top where if you have the middle right flipper up it will pretty much perfectly guide the ball right down the left outlane. Now it does the same thing but it's so fast you don't even have time to register that it's happened. :rofl:

I'm not complaining really, I'd rather the playfield was protected than not.

Drop catch it then shoot the left ramp. It’s what us cool kids do on TZ.

My TAF is 'on location' so plays very fast after I wax it (which I like because it makes you a better player, able to adapt, faster reactions etc) but when I come back say a week later to play it's back to normal. Protects the playfield so keep on waxing.......

Don't forget, as Mr Miyagi taught us, wax on, wax off!

Done a foam clean on my Spidey, followed by Novus 2 and 3 coats of Cowabunga wax. OMG I feel like I’m gonna smash the toys to bits. But what a difference it makes to the whole game, i am delighted and scared for my poor old Spidey who needs a HUO envoirement after a hard life

Back
Top Bottom