What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pinshack and workshop build

kev,
one question - On your app you had temp, humidity etc - what are you using for that part of the control system?

Cheers,
Neil.

kev,
one question - On your app you had temp, humidity etc - what are you using for that part of the control system?

Cheers,
Neil.
Hi Neil,

Its all in the box of electronics I built, which I will be doing a full write up on when I finish the workshop side. But briefly arduino Mega with ethernet shield connected to DHT22 temp and Humidity sensors for indoors and out, then I interface this lot with the Blynk app which displays the values and allows me to control the temps and all the lighting/sauna etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

kev

Long time no post guys, but starting to get this back on track over the next month.

Recap - pinshack is finished and sauna is finished, just the workshop to paint, flooring, skirting and back mouldings to do.

So I decide to total up the costs so far :- (trumpet fanfare playing in the distance!)

PInshack and workshop total costs = £5496.00
And the sauna if interested = £1559.00

GRAND TOTAL = £7055.00

That's not bad at all I don't think!!!!! Those costs include absolutely everything down to nails and screws, so it does show you how much you can save if you have the time, skills and inclination to do it yourself!!!

Its even less than one new pin ie my Dialed In !

So will be, starting to finish the workshop soon and then I will be doing the write up of the electronics controlling it all

Cheers

kev

Wow, £5.5k is a bargain for the quality of the build here. Your shack is pretty big too isn't? What's the SQM for that price?

You should post up recommended suppliers also Kev, or ones to avoid etc. :thumbs:

Wow, £5.5k is a bargain for the quality of the build here. Your shack is pretty big too isn't? What's the SQM for that price?

You should post up recommended suppliers also Kev, or ones to avoid etc. :thumbs:
its 7.5m x 3.66m , so just under 30sqm I got all the basic building materials from travis perkins but know I guy that works there so got a good trade rate ;)

its 7.5m x 3.66m , so just under 30sqm I got all the basic building materials from travis perkins but know I guy that works there so got a good trade rate ;)
If anyone is that interested I could give a breakdown of the main bits to give ideas

Cheers

kev

It is too late for me. I have very deliberately "forgotten" what mine cost

But if you are willing, I think a breakdown of the real cost of these things would really help others

If anyone is that interested I could give a breakdown of the main bits to give ideas

That would be really useful Kev, I am still planning mine but will be unashamedly stealing a lot of the design ideas from your shed build so an idea of what to buy and how much it should cost will help no end.

OK here we go - in broad sections starting from the ground up!!

EXTERNALLY

Foundations £390 (no concrete here used eco grids)
4x2 framing £400
6x2 roof joists £222
wall OSB board £169
Membrane £60
Laths £58
HardiPlank £1540
Roof decking £166
EPDM membrane
and trims £600
Soffit and fascias £126
Window £60
french door set £345
Screws £22
Guttering £30

INSIDE
Rockwool RWA45 mm inuslation batts 50mm to walls and floor 100mm in roof space £338

Wall timbers and £300
flooring
Plasterboards £200
Consumer unit 10 way£45
Cabling £100
Laminate floor £118
Skirting & Door £75
paint £30
all electrics which include sauna, pinshcak and workshop
2 x smoke alarms, 2 x PIRs, 12 sockets, 2 switches, 13 backboxes, 18 downlights, LED flood, emergency lights, 6 ip65 soffit lights, 2x soffit spks, 1 IP camera, 1 IP POE switch,
2 x 1.5kw oil radiator, 2 x sauna spks, 1 sauna fan, 1 PIR light switch
total for elecs = £518

EDIT
missed off 10mm SWA Cable, ethernet cable and alarm cables back to house
£133

GRAND TOTAL = £6045 (does include some no pinshack bits ie sauna stuff)

Cheers

kev

Last edited:
Interesting stuff Kev. So the biggest single expense here, by far, was the Hardiplank cladding.

I wonder if there are any lower cost alternatives? It does look like lovely stuff though.

Interesting stuff Kev. So the biggest single expense here, by far, was the Hardiplank cladding.

I wonder if there are any lower cost alternatives? It does look like lovely stuff though.
Hi Pete yes by far - but it did include all of the trims for the corners as well and around door and window. I had to use fireproof because building within 2m of boundary so little choice. I would of used barrel log shiplap at half the cost if I could of but then it needs treating every year so I think the extra expense was well worth it. Also if I get bored with the colour it can be painted with hardieplank paints to about any colour I want

The concrete base for mine cost more than Kev’s build - fantastic job Kev!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow - literally gorgeous, this thread has beaten my wife into submission of allowing me a "Log Cabin/PinShed" - on the proviso I get a pre-built one and don't attempt to do it myself :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks @newdos - because with it comes a FT* as I wasn't allowed another one "taking up room in the house"

*or other pin in that price range...

NEWSFLASH!!!

Updates to follow soon chaps. Cleared out the workshop side of the pinshack at the weekend and work has now begun on finishing it.

jobs to do ..

paint walls and ceiling
install all sockets, lights, oil radiator, smoke detector, occupancy sensor, alarm PIR and speakers
lay laminate floor(reclaimed from lounge in house)
skirting and back moulds to door and windows
undercoat and gloss
fit shelving
wire up and configure/test all the network stuff/IP cameras and the Blynk box of electronics for controlling it all

Pics to follow watch this space.......

Cheers

kev

Hi Guys a couple of pics of the white workshop!!! It needs more coats of paint yet. You can see the box of tricks in the corner, which is still work in progress, but is currently running the pinshack side of the shed and will run all the workshop lights and heating once I install them all.

will do a full write up as promised of the trick box once its complete.

Cheers

kev

IMG_2926.JPGIMG_2925.JPGIMG_2928.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

Love the electronics - I can see what looks like arduino board and 2 8 way opto isolated relay stacks - is that a couple more relays in bottom centre?

Presume you also have a arduino wifi board to connect it to blynk app?

Love the electronics - I can see what looks like arduino board and 2 8 way opto isolated relay stacks - is that a couple more relays in bottom centre?

Presume you also have a arduino wifi board to connect it to blynk app?
Hi,

yes there is a arduino mega with a piggy backed network board. the 2 relays in the middle are 30amp jobs for the the 2 x 1.5kw oil filled radiators in each room - one in pinshack and one in the workshop. temp is monitored by a DHT22 in each room and controlled via sliders in the blynk app

I will do a full right up of electronic and blynk app and the integration with alexa as well which works good.

Cheers

kev

Back
Top Bottom