What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pinshack and workshop build

Thats still "shed Grade" 1.2mm. They also Do a Premium here @ 1.5mm
http://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk

I'd be tempted at the thicker one. Works out at around £300 for mine at 1.5mm, inc all adhesives

At £20-£60 per roll for Reasonable Roof Felt, and bearing in mind that felt will need replacing after around 5-6 years (and EPDM has a lifespan of 20 years upwards guaranteed) it pays for itself, and should be relatively hassle free :)

My garage was built over 15 years ago with felt roof (green stuff with shingle look) and it still watertight! builder did say it was thick stuff

I recently had my garage roof done, just in bloody felt again, but probably gonna change it next year cos the guys who did it did a crap job.

What stopped me from going with EPDM was when I looked into it the rubber membrane seemed quite thin. I was concerned about birds pecking at it (lots of em round here).

But, looking at your video above that membrane looks decently thick. Found this kit on eBay which will cover my 3.2m x 8m pin shack for £487: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPDM-Rubb...hash=item41ad07f4a2:m:mNhVcsuAAbsienbW7iXSoIQ

What do you think Kev, decent? Where did you buy your kit?
Hi Pete,

That's the same company I am using but note the link you have given is for a dormer roof where your new shed roof would join an existing roof so the edge trim arrangements are different. Mine is a freestanding shed so I have 3 upstand edges and 1 gutter trim at the rear. Also if you contact them direct the quote I got is a lot cheaper than ebay for the same kit as the sizes are not exact to requirements on ebay.

I was worried about birds and cats as well but thousands of these roofs have been installed and not heard of it as an issue at all(unless someone on here tells us otherwise!!)

Hope that helps

kev

I recently had my garage roof done, just in bloody felt again, but probably gonna change it next year cos the guys who did it did a crap job.

What stopped me from going with EPDM was when I looked into it the rubber membrane seemed quite thin. I was concerned about birds pecking at it (lots of em round here).

But, looking at your video above that membrane looks decently thick. Found this kit on eBay which will cover my 3.2m x 8m pin shack for £487: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPDM-Rubb...hash=item41ad07f4a2:m:mNhVcsuAAbsienbW7iXSoIQ

What do you think Kev, decent? Where did you buy your kit?
Just found this which is also very interesting Pete - Rubber Vs Felt .....

Rubber Vs Felt

RUBBER vs FELT

The truth behind what some roofers will say to get the job

With todays economic downturn its at no suprise that many people fabricate a situation to achieve a sale. Money is scarce and for those who have families to support will try and sell their services at any costs to get a sale, this however can go too far when they feel the only way they can better their product against something more superior is to (lets say) embelish the truth for their benefit to aquire a sale. By doing this, the customer is in no means to question the words of the professional and will therefore believe these embellished words unless they have personally took the time out to research the product themselves. This article I am writing is paying particular attention towards some of the stigma towards rubber roofs and what some (not all!) felt roofers like to say in reguards of the EPDM materials used. Below are some examples which I have found:

If someone tries to clamber/climb onto your flat roof, and dig their nails into the rubber they will pierce it”

This is impossible due to the composition of rubber and it being adhered to a hard surface underneath- I would be more than happy to challenge anyone with the strongest nails to try and claw their way through a piece of EPDM! This also applies to any animal including cats and bird tallons.

The rubber which is used is too thin”

This is nonsence, EPDM is such a superior product it does not need to be thicker than 1.52mm at most again due to rubber composition and no joins.

Over time, the rubber will bubble and blister, it won't last!”

A correctly installed EPDM roof has been scientifically proven to last up to 50 years. Chicago Airport's EPDM roof that was installed in the 60's is still going strong to this day! If EPDM is such a poor product as some people say- then how come so many big branded companies such as Firestone, a renouned tyre manufacturing giant, use this product and promote its abilities using their brand and logo.

Now there's no easy way to say this- but the fact of the matter is that felt roofs will nearly allways be cheaper than the EPDM installation, but by choosing the “cheaper option” of felt you will never aquire the superiorism rubber roofs achieve when installed. A good felt roof installation will only last you at most 10-15 years compared to the 50 year lifespan of rubber, therefore costing you much more money in the long run.

With Britain's climate recently becoming more erratic around our summer and winter months, the effect it is having upon felt flat roofs is devastating resulting in cracks within the asphalt, the weather will have no impact upon an EPDM roof as rubber can expand and contract when needed.

Cracks can also appear upon a felt flat roof if there is any subsidence within the building, rubber allways remains flexible and would therefore “move” with the subsidence.

On your average flat roof, EPDM rubber will have no joins decreasing any opportunity for leakage compared to a matrix of joins used in felt installation. Not only this but with no joins, EPDM looks incredibly pleasing to the eye, and when correctly installed looks very smart and attractive for your house or work premises, something (I believe) felt just doesn't quite do!

I hope this has helped clear up any taboo topics reguarding EPDM rubber roofs. With the “dog eat dog” attitude in any business industry nowadays, it is allways important to keep the facts straight and true for the customer to decide rightfully.

Hi Pete,

That's the same company I am using but note the link you have given is for a dormer roof where your new shed roof would join an existing roof so the edge trim arrangements are different. Mine is a freestanding shed so I have 3 upstand edges and 1 gutter trim at the rear. Also if you contact them direct the quote I got is a lot cheaper than ebay for the same kit as the sizes are not exact to requirements on ebay.

I was worried about birds and cats as well but thousands of these roofs have been installed and not heard of it as an issue at all(unless someone on here tells us otherwise!!)

Hope that helps

kev

Just found this which is also very interesting Pete - Rubber Vs Felt .....

Rubber Vs Felt

RUBBER vs FELT

The truth behind what some roofers will say to get the job

With todays economic downturn its at no suprise that many people fabricate a situation to achieve a sale. Money is scarce and for those who have families to support will try and sell their services at any costs to get a sale, this however can go too far when they feel the only way they can better their product against something more superior is to (lets say) embelish the truth for their benefit to aquire a sale. By doing this, the customer is in no means to question the words of the professional and will therefore believe these embellished words unless they have personally took the time out to research the product themselves. This article I am writing is paying particular attention towards some of the stigma towards rubber roofs and what some (not all!) felt roofers like to say in reguards of the EPDM materials used. Below are some examples which I have found:

If someone tries to clamber/climb onto your flat roof, and dig their nails into the rubber they will pierce it”

This is impossible due to the composition of rubber and it being adhered to a hard surface underneath- I would be more than happy to challenge anyone with the strongest nails to try and claw their way through a piece of EPDM! This also applies to any animal including cats and bird tallons.

The rubber which is used is too thin”

This is nonsence, EPDM is such a superior product it does not need to be thicker than 1.52mm at most again due to rubber composition and no joins.

Over time, the rubber will bubble and blister, it won't last!”

A correctly installed EPDM roof has been scientifically proven to last up to 50 years. Chicago Airport's EPDM roof that was installed in the 60's is still going strong to this day! If EPDM is such a poor product as some people say- then how come so many big branded companies such as Firestone, a renouned tyre manufacturing giant, use this product and promote its abilities using their brand and logo.

Now there's no easy way to say this- but the fact of the matter is that felt roofs will nearly allways be cheaper than the EPDM installation, but by choosing the “cheaper option” of felt you will never aquire the superiorism rubber roofs achieve when installed. A good felt roof installation will only last you at most 10-15 years compared to the 50 year lifespan of rubber, therefore costing you much more money in the long run.

With Britain's climate recently becoming more erratic around our summer and winter months, the effect it is having upon felt flat roofs is devastating resulting in cracks within the asphalt, the weather will have no impact upon an EPDM roof as rubber can expand and contract when needed.

Cracks can also appear upon a felt flat roof if there is any subsidence within the building, rubber allways remains flexible and would therefore “move” with the subsidence.

On your average flat roof, EPDM rubber will have no joins decreasing any opportunity for leakage compared to a matrix of joins used in felt installation. Not only this but with no joins, EPDM looks incredibly pleasing to the eye, and when correctly installed looks very smart and attractive for your house or work premises, something (I believe) felt just doesn't quite do!

I hope this has helped clear up any taboo topics reguarding EPDM rubber roofs. With the “dog eat dog” attitude in any business industry nowadays, it is allways important to keep the facts straight and true for the customer to decide rightfully.

Great info mate, thanks!

I'm totally convinced EPDM (and everything else) is better than felt. What I hate most about felt is all the gritty bits which get everywhere and block the gutters up etc. I was giving serious thought to GRP, I love working with fiberglass anyway but after hearing reports of cracks etc I'm not so sure if it's better than EPDM.

Will give Rubber4Roofs a call and see what they can do. You're right about doing deals off eBay, always best to do that even if a company can only knock the 10% eBay off it's still decent.

Great info mate, thanks!

I'm totally convinced EPDM (and everything else) is better than felt. What I hate most about felt is all the gritty bits which get everywhere and block the gutters up etc. I was giving serious thought to GRP, I love working with fiberglass anyway but after hearing reports of cracks etc I'm not so sure if it's better than EPDM.

Will give Rubber4Roofs a call and see what they can do. You're right about doing deals off eBay, always best to do that even if a company can only knock the 10% eBay off it's still decent.
Yeah I am ordering my epdm off them tomorrow for delivery on friday from rubber4roofs.

Boarding the roof friday and hopefully rubber on saturday if the weather holds.

cheers

kev

I have had a lot of miserable experience with many felt roofs over 40 plus years.

AVOID FELT AT ALL COSTS
  • Joins everywhere are ticking timebombs and form a myriad of water traps. These then freeze in the winter and open up
  • The felt eventually cracks where it has been folded, like the edge of the roof
  • The sun degrades it. It gets hot in the sun, expands, then contracts, eventually turning brittle and cracking
You can take steps to make felt more reliable - you could put stones on it to reflect the sun, paint it silver to reflect the sun ....

1m wide plastisol coated galvanised steel roofsheets are a possible solution and often have 30 year warranties. These can be bought precisely cut to length

I have never used epdm before, but a friend who is a property investor swears by it and I am going to use it on my pinshed

I have had a lot of miserable experience with many felt roofs over 40 plus years.

AVOID FELT AT ALL COSTS
  • Joins everywhere are ticking timebombs and form a myriad of water traps. These then freeze in the winter and open up
  • The felt eventually cracks where it has been folded, like the edge of the roof
  • The sun degrades it. It gets hot in the sun, expands, then contracts, eventually turning brittle and cracking
You can take steps to make felt more reliable - you could put stones on it to reflect the sun, paint it silver to reflect the sun ....

1m wide plastisol coated galvanised steel roofsheets are a possible solution and often have 30 year warranties. These can be bought precisely cut to length

I have never used epdm before, but a friend who is a property investor swears by it and I am going to use it on my pinshed
thanks for the thumbs up on epdm - I'm ordering it today!!!!

Cheers

Kev

Got all the fascias on last night so starting to look the part - ready for the roof decking to go tomorrow. Just need to add the corner covers and jointing strips to finish it off after roof deck is on. Then soffits in

Note the piece of string to aid putting up a 5m fascia on your own!!

IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG

Bit more progress over the weekend - Roof is now sheeted and covered with a tarpaulin until the EPDM arrives and all the soffits have now been fitted. This front soffit is going to have 6 downlighters in it and a pair of waterproof ceiling speakers for outdoor tunes!

Cheers

Kev

IMG_2154.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG

Bit more progress over the weekend - Roof is now sheeted and covered with a tarpaulin until the EPDM arrives and all the soffits have now been fitted. This front soffit is going to have 6 downlighters in it and a pair of waterproof ceiling speakers for outdoor tunes!

Cheers

Kev

View attachment 46375
View attachment 46376

Looking awesome Kev...

Got the wood done for my small extension roof up on Friday, hopefully get the EPDM on some evening this week if the rain stays off for more than a few hours..

Looking awesome Kev...

Got the wood done for my small extension roof up on Friday, hopefully get the EPDM on some evening this week if the rain stays off for more than a few hours..
Yes going to be interesting to see how the EPDM install goes for both of us!!!! - mines gonna be friday afternoon I think and weather pending!!!

Cheers

Kev

Reactions: ski
Getting really hacked off with this now - this is the 2nd Tarpaulin I have bought (£40 screwfix) and it still has 2 tiny leaks in it - roll on tomorrow when the EPDM arrives to get that on and then hopefully watertight once and for all!!! But guess what - forecast for rain tomorrow argh!!!!

Cheers

Kev

IMG_2159.JPG

Looks nice, watching this just shows that I need to get my finger out and do something with my gamesroom.

BTW, when was the last time you did your washing? Looks like your washing line needs moved.

Looks nice, watching this just shows that I need to get my finger out and do something with my gamesroom.

BTW, when was the last time you did your washing? Looks like your washing line needs moved.
Haha!!!1 Yeah cheers - new spike for airer has been purchased and will be relocated as soon as I have time !!!

Cheers

kev

I did say I was going to do this in a lot of detail for anyone interested - getting a bit anoraky I know!!!, but I have always found these logs immensely helpful but always find the bit of detail I want is missing.

This is the corner detailing for the hardiplank NT3 corners which is different to what @Jsyjay used. The corners can be put on 2 different ways - as these are 90mm wide I needed to use these to make up the slight shortness in the 12ft hardiplanks as my shed is 7.5m long. If I use 2 of these corner trims it means that 2 x 12ft planks will fit across the back with virtually zero waste - If i hadn't used these trims it would of been short by a couple of inches, which would of been disastrous!!!

Pic of fitted trim - with joint at side so not visible from front ( the rear is done the opposite way so the trim gives maximum length across the back as described above)

IMG_2161.JPG

And a bit more of a close up - more filling of nail heads required yet and a paint touch up - this is the same corner as above and you can see the join is on the side rather than the front

IMG_2162.JPG

EPDM roof start this afternoon - and of course it's just started raining !!

Cheers

kev

Last edited:
Did you get the two different glues ?

Hardly worth it on mine as it's so narrow but i did anyhow. no idea when i will get to do mine as busy all weekend

Did you get the two different glues ?

Hardly worth it on mine as it's so narrow but i did anyhow. no idea when i will get to do mine as busy all weekend
yes I did mate - you need the contact adhesive for around the edges

Can never have too much info, and if it becomes too much for some they can skip through it.

Keep up the good work, it gives the rest of us ideas of what we can do.

The more info the better in my view Kev. Not sure i'll ever get to do this but I live in hope.

Looking great so far; you really had some terrible luck with the weather. You certainly don't expect it to be so damp, wet and miserable at the end of May or the start of June. We've just had a week in Wales and were stunned by the variance in the weather.

The more info the better in my view Kev. Not sure i'll ever get to do this but I live in hope.

Looking great so far; you really had some terrible luck with the weather. You certainly don't expect it to be so damp, wet and miserable at the end of May or the start of June. We've just had a week in Wales and were stunned by the variance in the weather.
thanks man!!!

Well another very busy weekend. The EPDM roof is finally on and finished(apart from the rear gutter edge as they sent the wrong trims!) all nicely glued down and the kerb edge trims on 3 sides all fitted. Gotta say I think it looks really smart and for the doubters of EPDM this stuff is really tuff.

Very important point for people that were talking about going for the 1.5mm thick stuff - I got the 1.2mm and it was 7.8m x 5.05m and it weighed a ton!!! I reckon it was way in excess of 20 stone!!! it took 2 of us and 2 ropes to lift it onto the roof and it was a hell of a struggle!!! - you have been warned!!!

Anyway it went on really easy - the only advice it would give is dont do it on a red hot day as the WBA glue goes off quicker than you can get it on!!! but a quick recoat over the bits that looked a bit dry worked a treat and TBH the amount of glue they sent, both WBA and contact adhesive I could of done the whole roof twice!.

Here is the finished job

IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

Looks a lot better than the tarpaulin!!! So now the pressure is off as it is basically water tight, which is just as well as it is getting a good test today as the rain here is torrential today!!

Hope it's all dry when I get home from work tonight.

Rest of the weekend I moved onto the starting the wire out. Quite a big job this as the whole heating a lighting system is going to be electronically controlled via an app on my phone called Blynk. More on that later.

Here is the 10 way 17ed dual RCD consumer unit going in and the 10mm 3 core SWA hooked up.

IMG_2166.JPG

And a shot of wiring going in before I pinned it all up!!!!

IMG_2170.JPG

That is for now folks!!! back onto the external cladding once the weather picks up

Cheers

Kev

Looking great Kev, nice work. Least you can crack on with the inside when it's raining. What you planning on using to finish with internally?

Looking great Kev, nice work. Least you can crack on with the inside when it's raining. What you planning on using to finish with internally?
Hi John,

Cheers mate - yeah it's getting there. Once I finish all the wiring (and there's lots of it) I pretty much decided on plasterboard. I got a jointing strip for the soffits and it looks like a H section with the front of it curved. It looks like plasterboard will fit into it perfectly so will save filling all the joints - fingers crossed!!!

Cheers

kev

Back
Top Bottom