What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pinshack and workshop build

This is a brilliant thread, thanks for sharing it.

I got planning permission for my pinshed this week, and the various threads on here are an extremely valuable source of ideas. I would never had thought of stuff like the foundation grids, or hardieplank etc etc had folk not shared their research

@newdos , have you though about or looked into wind loading ? I know your shed was not caught by building regs but mine is. I have been told that one of the few things building regs cares about is wind loading.

Last edited:
Right bit more progress firstly hardieplank turned up a day late and every corner trim was smashed into 3 bits all the vent starter trims were all bent as well great start!!!
IMG_2131.JPG
So I have sheeted the side panel and put breather membrane on and laths ready for claddingIMG_2130.JPG
Here is a starter/vent profile that allows the wall to breath and gives the 8mm kick out to start the bottom board off
IMG_2132.JPG
The wall has now been lifted into place forgot to take a photograph but will get one later today
Roof beams are going on today.

Cheers

Kev

This is a brilliant thread, thanks for sharing it.

I got planning permission for my pinshed this week, and the various threads on here are an extremely valuable source of ideas. I would never had thought of stuff like the foundation grids, or hardieplank etc etc had folk not shared their research

@newdos , have you though about or looked into wind loading ? I know your shed was not caught by building regs but mine is. I have been told that one of the few things building regs cares about is wind loading.
Cheers man - not I must admit I haven't, but with only being 2.5m high and in a fairly sheltered spot i think it should be fine. Plus it is build from 4x2 and will have 6x2 roof beams bracing it all together and the whole thing has been screwed together not nailed.

Cheers

Kev

Great build Kev, I bet it's a good feeling seeing it all coming together :thumbs:

Great build Kev, I bet it's a good feeling seeing it all coming together :thumbs:
sure is man a lot of hard graft gone into it so far!!! that end panel to lift once it was cladded with the hardiplank to 4 of us to lift in place what a weight!!!

Cheers

kev

Few pics of the weekends progress this morning.

Better shot of the hardiplanked end wall against the fence - looks pretty good and the soft green blends in very nice with the garden(especially for the neighbours!)

IMG_2138.JPG
just the corner trims and fascia to go on here now once they have been replaced!!

Roof beams going on - they are like bananas!!

IMG_2135.JPG

Pretty much roof finished just the rear fascias to go on and then it all needs noggining out to try and straighten it a bit!!! and then ready for all of the roof boards.

IMG_2136.JPG IMG_2137.JPG

Better shot of the nice canopy which will be full of downlighters once finished

IMG_2139.JPG

Cheers

Kev

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 19
Superb! Absolutely superb!

So just trying to understand the layers of wall materials you're using here. From the inside outward, it looks like 4x2 Frame - 18mm OSB board - Breather membrane - 2x1 laths - HardiePlank. That correct?

In total how thick does this make your walls?

Superb! Absolutely superb!

So just trying to understand the layers of wall materials you're using here. From the inside outward, it looks like 4x2 Frame - 18mm OSB board - Breather membrane - 2x1 laths - HardiePlank. That correct?

In total how thick does this make your walls?
Nearly Pete the osb is only 11 mm for the walls - will be 18mm for roof

so thickness is 95mm(4x2) + 11mm(OSB) + 25mm (2x1 lath) and finally 8mm hardiplank = 139mm

Cheers

Kev

Nearly Pete the osb is only 11 mm for the walls - will be 18mm for roof

so thickness is 95mm(4x2) + 11mm(OSB) + 25mm (2x1 lath) and finally 8mm hardiplank = 139mm

Cheers

Kev

Wait.. I missed out, looks like you've got an additional moisture barrier under the HardiePlank?

11mm OSB makes more sense, 18mm is probably overkill and no doubt adds a hell of a lot of weight. Overall though, 139mm and the materials used makes for quite a chunky and sturdy build. This should be very strong.

Also wanted to ask, when you come to plasterboarding are you going for fire resistant boards or just regular?

You're killing it. Totally making me feel lazy. You did remind me to order the fiberglass for my roof.
Keep the pictures coming.

Wait.. I missed out, looks like you've got an additional moisture barrier under the HardiePlank?

11mm OSB makes more sense, 18mm is probably overkill and no doubt adds a hell of a lot of weight. Overall though, 139mm and the materials used makes for quite a chunky and sturdy build. This should be very strong.

Also wanted to ask, when you come to plasterboarding are you going for fire resistant boards or just regular?
and yes the the membrane goes on top of the osb before the laths as in the earlier pic pete. probs ordinary plasterboard as it was only the outside the needed fire proofing to satisfy planners

once inside there will be 50mm of rockwool batts going in the walls and floor, with an air gap behind them to the outside. Roof will have a 100mm gap with air floor over the top to ventilate it via soffits at front and rear

Cheers

kev

All the back and other side sheeted with osb, membrane on and the laths - just the front to do now!!

Time for a well earned beer!!

Cheers Kev

IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2146.JPG

Nice one kev.
Looks like rain with those clouds so sit down and enjoy that nice cold beer.
D.

Last edited:
Coming on really well Kev, impressive

Is this both buildings or just one ? Or are you only building one now? Or am I confused and thinking about another build ?

Might do a thread for my garage extension (only widening by a meter, but hey it all helps)

Ian

Coming on really well Kev, impressive

Is this both buildings or just one ? Or are you only building one now? Or am I confused and thinking about another build ?

Might do a thread for my garage extension (only widening by a meter, but hey it all helps)

Ian
its just one building bud, but going to have 2 rooms in it a workshop and a pin room(with a sauna in one corner!!)

here is the plan - workshop to the right pin room left with sauna far left

upload_2017-5-21_15-48-41.png

Cheers

kev

What are you doing for the roof?
Hi @Sounduser
I am gonna be boarding the roof then putting on a EPDM rubber roof and all the trims. Will Cost about £500 but half the hassle of GRP and no pin prick holes plus its weather hardy and guaranteed for 50 years - should see me out lol!!!

should look like this when done

upload_2017-5-22_9-9-26.png

Here is the link to the video of how to fit it and the trims - looks really easy !!

Cheers

kev

Reactions: ski
Haven't fitted it yet.. Used their calculator thing on their web site (rubber4roofs.co.uk) it calculates all the extras you need and does up a shopping list for you which you can edit if you have some of the kit already or to add more. Ordered it on a friday night, delivered on the Monday over here in Northern Ireland. Well impressed. Hopefully starting my roof this friday if I can get sorted in time..

Haven't fitted it yet.. Used their calculator thing on their web site (rubber4roofs.co.uk) it calculates all the extras you need and does up a shopping list for you which you can edit if you have some of the kit already or to add more. Ordered it on a friday night, delivered on the Monday over here in Northern Ireland. Well impressed. Hopefully starting my roof this friday if I can get sorted in time..
cool let me know how it goes man!!

Cheers

Kev

I recently had my garage roof done, just in bloody felt again, but probably gonna change it next year cos the guys who did it did a crap job.

What stopped me from going with EPDM was when I looked into it the rubber membrane seemed quite thin. I was concerned about birds pecking at it (lots of em round here).

But, looking at your video above that membrane looks decently thick. Found this kit on eBay which will cover my 3.2m x 8m pin shack for £487: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPDM-Rubb...hash=item41ad07f4a2:m:mNhVcsuAAbsienbW7iXSoIQ

What do you think Kev, decent? Where did you buy your kit?

Back
Top Bottom