What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Pinfest Panic: Mission Complete, Welcome Home Rocket III

Looking fantastic :thumbs:
Loving the colouring of the legs:)

Shane about the red on the cab reacting with the paint underneath ,was it just that spot ?

There are a few spots. This "crowfeet" effect can be a reaction with the base layer but I don't think that's the case as its the same all over (and the black was the same paint too). My best guess is that I was impatient and sprayed the first coat on two thick. Fortunately it's near the back I'm sure I can improve on it:thumbs:

9 days to go...

Another day, another side to paint. I'm beginning to regret not making templates as what takes the time is not masking the lines but cutting out every overlap of the shapes and remasking the inner perimeter. This is my first full cab so we live and learn I guess.
20180814_075123.jpg

It's nerve racking but fun pulling the tape! It kind of looks German here
20180814_161829.jpg

The good news is that I took it slow with several light coats on the red and no crowsfeet in the paint. Also started masking the head and painted some art. It's starting to look like a Pinball machine again:clap:

20180814_164157.jpg

8 days to go...

Yesterday I masked one side of the head. I had to freehand this to some extent from pics on the web as my original art was missing and wrong. Once taped up I was concerned what it might look like, this pattern is simple but quite precise. I'd sleep on it....
20180815_072555.jpg

Next day, woke up with a brain wave, photshop it! So I got my pics and coloured in my actual masking.
20180815_073043.jpg

20180815_073043 - Copy.jpg

Final result I'm quite happy with - but time for peer review if you think otherwise:thumbs: (Btw, I wish the actual masking/spraying was this easy)
20180815_073043 - Copy2.jpg

More progress today.

The mobile phone camera is such a useful pinball tool. I'm a firm believer in "measure twice, cut once" so reviewing these masking pics prior to spraying noticed 2 schoolboy errors
1534347214202.png

Corrected the above, everything masked off and Red now complete:thumbs: I've run out of Black and used up all 40m of Frog Tape stenciling this so a trip to the shops required before I can proceed. I'm hoping to finish main spraying tomorrow so it can cure for a week before it's trip to UK Pinfest.
20180815_160501.jpg

7 days to go...

The rain stopped, Yodel delivered more black spray paint and toolstation supplied the frog tape. I'm pleased to say the final block colour is being applied and masking will come off later:clap:

20180816_162206.jpg

contd...
Well pretty chuffed with the result for my first full cab paint effort. I'm enjoying a well earned Elvis Juice (pictured).
ps. I'm the only one allowed to put beer on this machine:)

20180816_172453.jpg

Hi @James. I bought this machine just under a year ago as a well cruddy barn find project and have since worked through all the steppers, relays and motor board getting it working 100% (famous last words!). Also, I built an add-a-ball kit to convert it. The playfield has been partially shopped and is pretty tidy. Also did a lot of work on the backglass which is in another thread. This log was really about the cabinet which was embarrassing to take to a show and the major hardware, coin door, bb door, legs, bb insert etc. I have most things shopped and ready to go I''ll post more before/after pics:thumbs:

Just a quickie what type of paint did you use ?
Just that I have a SI cab to do and am thinking I should be using car paint !!

Just a quickie what type of paint did you use ?
Hi Carl, I used Rustoleum Painters Touch rattle cans, shed loads the cab soaked it up, white primer, satin for the base white, Reeves acrylic for the silver splatter and gloss for the art which I wanted to "pop" a bit. Not sure this approach would suit an SI which I guess you'll stencil, have you see matt adams Fathom cab paint video on youtube?

Thanks for for that didn't know that Matt up loaded the Fathom on the internet !
What method did you do the silver splatter?
Was it by holding the spray can at a great distance away ?

What method did you do the silver splatter?
Was it by holding the spray can at a great distance away ?

I practiced various methods and ended up flicking slightly watered down artists acrylic using a stiff nylon brush from a distance with the cab vertical so large splats dropped in front of it. I didn't try but apparently you can use a rattle can by slightly pressing the button so it splatters or by driving nails through the nozzle to distort the spray pattern. So glad I wasn't undertaking Gottleib webbing!

Here's my practice board, at this point I was using black which I decided was too harsh and moved to silver.
20180714_121448.jpg

5 days to go...

I was banned from the pin shack today but managed to get a bit done.

These nastys are what they used for glides in the olden days.
20180711_141034.jpg20180711_141049.jpg

I want to keep things original and was trying to polish them up, but it turns out you can by them new.
20180818_111855.jpg

Shiny nickel glides in original positon and on my Supreme skids
20180818_112836.jpg

4 days to go...

Still a few bits left to buff and solder but mainly a case of throwing this lot back together. I've de-rusted everything as best I can but I don't intend highly polishing internal parts. Fortunately I've taken copious photos and numbered the bags as I took things off so will just reverse through them.:thumbs:

20180819_111735.jpg

Ive been lurking on this thread since the beginning but i have to say this project is stunning and the cab looks fantastic since you repainted it. I’m gutted i cant make it to pinfest would loved to have seen this.

4 days to go...

Still a few bits left to buff and solder but mainly a case of throwing this lot back together. I've de-rusted everything as best I can but I don't intend highly polishing internal parts. Fortunately I've taken copious photos and numbered the bags as I took things off so will just reverse through them.:thumbs:

View attachment 69522

I really appreciate the artistic layout of this photo. Must have taken some time to set it all up like that. Great job

.. and good luck on getting it all back together!

Thanks @Wizcat I took this after posting that I prefer. Deconstructed EM:thumbs:

20180819_113700.jpg

You touching up or at least kryloning the glass?
The glass was hosed and undergoing an acrimonious divorce from its paint:sad: I've re-added the key lines, touched up the opaque areas and cut out most of the translucent panels then replaced with theatre gel and made light shields with funky space fonts! The end result I would grade as "usable", tbh depending on how everything else turns out it could be in line for a bgresto.

20170715_105902.jpg20170719_105702.jpg20170810_115324.jpg20171005_114951.jpg

Back
Top Bottom