What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Streaming

Hi Sven,

I would go for a i3 8100 or similar as bang for buck they are amazing value very capable of hd, I wouldn’t waste a lot of money on a fancy gpu for this unless there is another reason e.g gaming or Ai as these tend not to be taken advantage of in obs (Tim is correct some tools handbrake etc do use the cudas but this is for transcoding)

Drew

Go look on the OBS/xsplit/$any forums at how successful people are in streaming with i3’s!

Xsplit uses the GPU and thats what I’m using to stream with 12 HDMI ports now but for just video streaming not so essential.

Cheers,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll probably also replace my 2 laptops and cad desktop with 1 so it would make more sense if it was a better spec.
Before you do check the benchmarks as I use my i3 for vr etc and haves i7 at work and in general I can’t tell the difference, always get the latest revision of the cpu as it makes a huge difference (some i3’s are much faster than older revision i7’s) if you want a really nice capture device I can recommend the Magewell products

Incidentally what sort of delay are you getting through (presumably twitch)

Drew

I have to adjust the sound about 1000ms when I use all IP but its constant so set once and job done.

With twitch the streaming delay is a few minutes.

Go look on the OBS/xsplit/$any forums at how successful people are in streaming with i3’s!

Xsplit uses the GPU and thats what I’m using to stream with 12 HDMI ports now but for just video streaming not so essential.

Cheers,
Neil

That’s fine I was simply referring to obs,

I have to adjust the sound about 1000ms when I use all IP but its constant so set once and job done.

With twitch the streaming delay is a few minutes.

Thanks Neil, how many streams concurrently do you send and are they in sync?

Forgive the questions although we write video streaming software I have never used twitch

I am thinking of getting a setup going - this is all really great stuff - I am looking at an i7 desktop as they can go for fair money now and keep that in my pinshed - then just ethernet that into router in the house. If you seasoned streamers have your older rig gear for sale - I may be interested in buying a second hand lower setup.

I'd be interested to see if latency suffers with an all-IP setup, neil.

Usually the encoding and IP stack kills it and you don't notice it until using in a live situation.

Any live shots such youre muxing sound with, ie playfield, needs to be sub 100ms. Lip sync < 10ms.

Of course there's stream delay settings in OBS to bring everything back together, but ugh... #headache right?

Tim

It does - there is about a 1000ms lag- I’ve adjusted it and it seems to be constant - so set and forget, im going to persevere with all IP and if its flakey then all the cameras have SDI and HDMI also! The key thing im still looking for is an IP streaming box cam I found one only to find out it does 30p on IP streaming! As Drew says routing the sound through the camera is also another option and for my pinshed i might consider fixed mics from the roof. My goal is to be able to steam any game without huge hassle of setup.

It does - there is about a 1000ms lag- I’ve adjusted it and it seems to be constant - so set and forget, im going to persevere with all IP and if its flakey then all the cameras have SDI and HDMI also! The key thing im still looking for is an IP streaming box cam I found one only to find out it does 30p on IP streaming! As Drew says routing the sound through the camera is also another option and for my pinshed i might consider fixed mics from the roof. My goal is to be able to steam any game without huge hassle of setup.

I have used these in the past http://www.old.pciex.co.uk/shop/tbs...ncoder-professional-hd-video-coding-for-iptv/ this is slightly newer than the ones we have at work it does state 1080 60i/60p but would check that, i am pretty sure that even the old ones do 720p 50, i can check this when in the office if you like. They are pretty reliable i have had one running a test stream for a few months without issues.

Drew

Thanks Neil, how many streams concurrently do you send and are they in sync?

Forgive the questions although we write video streaming software I have never used twitch

Only one and this is why you need a laptop with some power.

You feed each source to the laptop and then use OBS or xsplit (or vmix) to mix the output.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 09.18.52.png

In my last DP stream I had three cameras and one direct input - so 4 1080p feeds to be mixed sound added and streamed to Twitch. Your doing the sync on the local laptop and then send it to Twitch ingest server (which they have in most countries including the UK).

Cheers,
Neil.

I am thinking of getting a setup going - this is all really great stuff - I am looking at an i7 desktop as they can go for fair money now and keep that in my pinshed - then just ethernet that into router in the house. If you seasoned streamers have your older rig gear for sale - I may be interested in buying a second hand lower setup.
If you want to stream the higher frame rates as the guys on here are you will need a newer i5/i7 e.g 1080P50 if you don't need the framerate e.g 1080p25 a newer i3 is good for this (i sound like an i3 salesman, i am just using it as an example, i dont pay for my hardware so i am not pushing anything in particular)

Only one and this is why you need a laptop with some power.

You feed each source to the laptop and then use OBS or xsplit (or vmix) to mix the output.

View attachment 75035

In my last DP stream I had three cameras and one direct input - so 4 1080p feeds to be mixed sound added and streamed to Twitch. Your doing the sync on the local laptop and then send it to Twitch ingest server (which they have in most countries including the UK).

Cheers,
Neil.
Hi Neil, that's great i can see why you need to be streaming at 1080p, i must admit i thought it was asking a lot sending multiple streams to the twitch server.

Drew

pinball streaming really needs 50fps or it looks a little ropey on bigger screens.

Drew, as you know vmix, I found it hard to get the layout I have above with it, is it possible with vmix?

pinball streaming really needs 50fps or it looks a little ropey on bigger streams.
Yes that's pretty high, the framerate is the killer as it is effectively the same as encoding 2 x 1080p25 streams. I just tried 1080P 50 @ 4mb/s on my i3 and the cpu hovered around 79% which is a little higher than i would like for reliability

Drew

Thanks everyone, this is what I get with my current lappy:

Are MSI laptops any good?

yeah not bad.

On your stream I'd suggest you try increasing the size of the bitrate to see if that helps with CPU loading. And

Also try streaming with one camera see how that looks, then add another one, see how that looks and so on.

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sven Normansson been waiting to see your Forbidden Planet machine forever!

Looks great and action packed! Your a very talented chap Phil!

Thanks, it plays a lot better than this video! It also now controls the room smart lights so it has the ultimate in mood lighting. When the Id Monster attacks and the room goes red, it's pretty eerie.

I wouldn’t waste a lot of money on a fancy gpu for this unless there is another reason e.g gaming or Ai as these tend not to be taken advantage of in obs (Tim is correct some tools handbrake etc do use the cudas but this is for transcoding)

Handbrake is just a frontend for ffmpeg, which is the encoder used in OBS and Xsplit. In this case you need a top i7, don't go over 720p and forget 50fps.

If you have a CUDA graphics card this can be hardware encoded and you can get 1080p50 easily with very little CPU used.

Cheers,

Tim

Handbrake is just a frontend for ffmpeg, which is the encoder used in OBS and Xsplit. In this case you need a top i7, don't go over 720p and forget 50fps.

If you have a CUDA graphics card this can be hardware encoded and you can get 1080p50 easily with very little CPU used.

Cheers,

Tim
Hi Tim, How do you enable the Cuda acceleration in OBS ? i have a 1060 in my machine

Drew,

If you look in the video encoder settings, you'll have x264 (software) or NVENC (hardware).

Cheers,

Tim

Drew,

If you look in the video encoder settings, you'll have x264 (software) or NVENC (hardware).

Cheers,

Tim
Thanks Tim, at 1080p60 2500mb/s my cpu is reporting around 60% on x264 and 58% when selecting the NVENC profile. What difference do you get between the 2?

Drew

Drew,

Cheers,

Tim
You are absolutely correct Tim, tried obs 1080p60 without the gpu 56% cpu overhead (i3 cpu) and with the gpu 10% . I must have tried a build of ffmpeg previously which didn't have gpu support (or a dodgy build) or it just could be i am getting old :)

Unless you're sending that entire video stream (direct from the camera) to twitch, it won't help.

OBS (and xsplit) composites all video sources, compressed or not, into a single frame. Youll have also resized the source, added image contrast, graphics etc..

That 720 or 1080 frame then needs to be re-encoded.

No way around it, but the laptop you've bought will make light work of it with that GPU, so don't worry. Just choose the NVENC option and 6000kbps bitrate.

As for camera itself, webcam-wise, the Logitech is the clear winner. If you buy other brands i guarantee you'll end up either binning them or putting then in a "bad decisions" box and trying to forget.

My box is overflowing with junk... ;-)

Tim

Back
Top Bottom