What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Related Arduino Projects

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Hey folks,

I am about to embark on a brand new voyage of discovery, and I want to share this with everyone, I will need help and support along the way, and hopefully, this thread will be of use to others who want to do similar. As the title suggests, this thread will be all about Pinball Related Arduino Projects!

Background: A few weeks ago I was thinking about my pinroom, and how I would like some nice wall art - old playfield or backglass are obvious candidates. This then got me thinking about lighting them up - My initial thoughts were to light up using static LED's - a pretty simple task, but this idea soon expanded in my mind to the idea of making the lights turn on an off, or dim/brright or even change colour etc. If you imagine an old playfield - how cool would it be to present a light show, not dissimilar to those you see in a typical "attract mode" or even when a game is being played.

As soon as I imagined this, I knew I would have to use some sort of computer system, and I'd heard of Raspberry Pi and also of arduino, but I knew nothing more than their names. After a bit of research, I chose arduino - it is cheaper and simpler and appears to do everything I will need. So, step one, I bought a starter kit, in fact this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPal-Professional-UNO-R3-Starter-Kit-for-Arduino-Servo-LCD-Compass-Processing/252870211847?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It arrived several weeks ago and I haven't done much with it. I did install the software and do the first tutorial - which was to get a single LED to blink! Just doing that taught me a lot to be honest and gave me confidence that this is the right road to go down.

In the meantime, I have bought an old playfield, which should arrive soon, and so I set about thinking about lighting up the inserts and GI lighting spots. My first idea was to create a lighting matrix, similar to the typical 8 X * matrix that is common in most electronic machines. This would involve using all the Arduino's outputs and maybe some shift registers too. I did the design and figured out what I would need, and was just about to buy all the bits from ebay when I (fortunately) stumbled across this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50PCS-1-...919345&hash=item3605b59c34:g:XF4AAOSwgApXBn5F

This is a "WS2811" string of 50 RGB LED's that can be controlled by a single, YES A SINGLE, data wire. I couldn't believe it - what would have taken me days to create using an 8X8 matrix - with 64 wire connections to the 64 individual LED's, was immediately redundant - I can just use this addressable string, and what's more - I can also control the brrightness and the colour of each LED.

So, I bought one of these and eagerly awaited it's arrival. The arduino toolkit already has code examples and so I have been playing around with this checking to see if it will indeed do what I want. Looks like it will. I haven't really done much with it yet, but I will post up a video soon of how far I have got.

Other ideas are :
- Sound activated lights
- movement activated lights
(both of these should be easy using the bits I got in the arduino starter kit)
- Wifi controll using a smartphone app - this is for sure possible, but it looks quite involved to get a wifi board connected up and working - blynk app and toolkit look a good start
- controlling the pinroom mains lighting
- lighting up a backglass - with 7 segment score displays working in some fashion.
- making a wall art out of a populated playfield - as well as a light show, also trigger working flippers, pop bumpers, slingshots etc.
- adding sound effects

I'm sure I'll have more ideas than time as usual!

Anyone else doing similar, feel free to join in the ideas pool.

You could always make one of these. Arduino controlled. I’m not the programmer though. Dr Pinball makes the magic happen.
CE473E9F-291E-4A9C-A340-F4BF0B920E41.jpeg

Good luck, The Arduino is a nice little package to play about with.
I used the 'fadeValue' function to give lightning effects to my fishtank and I will aslo be adding it to the backbox on a FishTales at some point.

Basic tutorial can be found here, it may be useful for your display items...

@AlanJ see my pinshack build when I do the write up - full control of all lights, heating and sauna using arduino and the blynk app. Blynk lets you caontrol it all from your smartphone.

Here are the screenshots from my phone for the app to control my pinshack so far

IMG_2921.PNGIMG_2924.PNGIMG_2923.PNGIMG_2922.PNG

@newdos I assume with monitoring of humidity there is a automatic cut-in dehumidifyer as well as heater to keep it stable...

What sort of cost is associated to such a project?

@newdos I assume with monitoring of humidity there is a automatic cut-in dehumidifyer as well as heater to keep it stable...

What sort of cost is associated to such a project?
Hi James,

There could be, but there isn't at the moment. The DHT22s do both temp and humidity so I just monitor it at the moment. it rarely gets about 50% but becuase I am painting at the moment you can see its up a little

Cheers

kev

I was looking at something simliar but gave up mostly down to a lack of faffing time :D

adafruit-neopixel-uberguide

Is worth a look Alan; I use them with a custom controller to control individually signal/controllable LEDs. The controller had a front end on it already (android app).

in addition to control my pinroom lights I bought wifi bulbs and created profiles with Alexa with the neon lights on wifi control also (pins also and a/v system).

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the lights when I was installing them...

Put a few strips behind a playfield and it would lol great!

Hi Kev @newdos - gettingalexa to control the device - is that all handled via blynk for you or is there some extra stuff you need?
nothing to blynk as such you have to use IFTTT and set applets up to control the the arduino pins(virtual if you want it to update the Blynk app as well)

It's a bit clunky but works a treat. hapyy to share some example applets if required

Cheers

kev

I've been sat staring at the arduino kit I've had 6 months. I still have to get my TOM's done before I can even consider messing with that. #toolittletime

nothing to blynk as such you have to use IFTTT and set applets up to control the the arduino pins(virtual if you want it to update the Blynk app as well)

It's a bit clunky but works a treat. hapyy to share some example applets if required

Cheers

kev
Thanks Kev - I'll have to pick your brains sometime - when I come to that - but to start with I'm going to just make a stnd alone light system - i.e. start simple and then build it up!!!

Thanks Kev - I'll have to pick your brains sometime - when I come to that - but to start with I'm going to just make a stnd alone light system - i.e. start simple and then build it up!!!
yeah thats how started mate done load of diferent light systems - even have WS2812 led lighting in the sauna in my pinshack!!1

IMG_2737.JPGIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2739.JPG

Well at last I managed to record a video and upload it to youtube (the first one just woudn't upload for some odd reason). Not very exciting, but I did promise one, so here it is. I am impressed with the whole Arduino setup - it is cheap, easy to setup and program and 1000's of resources as it is so very widely used. I have gone from zero to almost having stuff I can use in a pinball in a very short space of time.

I've just ordered some 5/9/12v psus and breadboards to start messing with lit modifications, excited to find time to mess around really.

Fantastic information guys, I have just started ordering bits to have a tinker myself. If anything good comes of it I’ll keep you posted.

Well at last I managed to record a video and upload it to youtube (the first one just woudn't upload for some odd reason). Not very exciting, but I did promise one, so here it is. I am impressed with the whole Arduino setup - it is cheap, easy to setup and program and 1000's of resources as it is so very widely used. I have gone from zero to almost having stuff I can use in a pinball in a very short space of time.

Getting there bud - its amazing what you can do with just three wires from the arduino!!!

Cheers

kev

Cheers Kev ( @newdos ) - I've found the idea diffuser - an old drawer or kitchen cupboard liner from Ikea thats been sat in the garage for years. it's white, bubble pattern, plastic - should do the trick. I'm going to make a panel to go in the back box - a bit like the usual hinged panels that hold the back box lighting, Sadly not one as std in the Strange Science (cost cutting I assume)

I'm also going to mess around further with the arduino program so that it changes light show if an input pin goes low (or high). Once I've done that I should then be able to hook that pin into one of the games logic circuits (somehow).

Yup that looks absolutely fantastic !

One thing though just because you can doesn’t always mean you should!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree Neil but it does really lend itself to that backglass, but certainly not all !

Cheers

kev

Yup that looks absolutely fantastic !

One thing though just because you can doesn’t always mean you should!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strange Science for sure needed it. I will to a test on another pin that has a more traditional illumination set-up

oh it looks fantastic on strange science - i think world poker tour might suit it also.

here is an example of how to change the lives get show if something happens within a pinball machine game. eg if a switch is triggered or a particular feature is activated etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom