What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apparently it's no April Fools, ABBA, PB's next pin.

Are those stand up targets already misaligned?

Never been a big fan of the band but “Ring Ring” seems a bit of an obscure track to base a mode around. Was it in that 90s film?

Reactions: JT.
Artwork looks leaps better then Queen but layout, design and toys look absolutely meh

A potential great theme wasted.

Cabinet art is pretty awful and (I assume) the Voyage LE seems to have the stone heads from Easter Island on the back glass

Oh no. If you’re going to do a kitsch pop theme you need to REALLY do a kitsch pop theme, all singing all dancing like EJ. The layout is uninspired for those looking for a player’s machine and the cabinet and backglass are pretty fugly

Are those stand up targets already misaligned?

Never been a big fan of the band but “Ring Ring” seems a bit of an obscure track to base a mode around. Was it in that 90s film?
I think it was a bigger hit in Europe.
Cabinet art is pretty awful and (I assume) the Voyage LE seems to have the stone heads from Easter Island on the back glass
Artwork is not as bad as Queen - but my dogs could of done better artwork on Queen. Think the Abba cab art is 'passable'. You dont look at the mantle-piece when you stoke the fire bud.

I think it was a bigger hit in Europe.

Artwork is not as bad as Queen - but my dogs could of done better artwork on Queen. Think the Abba cab art is 'passable'. You dont look at the mantle-piece when you stoke the fire bud.
I like to look at the art work whilst I’m stroking my beaver ! Or is that just me !

So, my opinion. I like the look of the playfield. Looks it could have a nice flow, its not overcrowded, disco ball i like, gold disc on right ramp looks a bit slapped on.
Artwork is much better than Queen, i think the Voyage cabinet is really nice, but the backglass on that version is horrible and enough to put me off. There is nothing ABBA, glam or even Voyage about it! They look like stone faces and stoned! As for the cheaper version or as they call it the arrival version, its alot better. I MUCH prefare the backglass, however cabinet art is ok but not great. Why have they based it on the 1979 world tour and the Voulez Vous album but then called it the Arrival version? If they wanted to go that route I think artwork based on the Arrival album would have worked much better. Anyway il end on a positive, its good to see that by the looks of things, the only difference between the versions is the artwork. Thats to be appreciated versus the missing half a game Stern pro's/JJP's we sometimes get. Overall im keen and enthusiastic about it. Hope they get the Sound and gameplay right.

As pick says, Ring ring was a bigger hit overseas. It was their 1973 attempt to represent Sweden in the Eurovision. It got released here after thier waterloo victory but only charted no 32 in the summer of 1974, meanwhile ABBA let danish duo sweet dreams cover thier now popular song Honey, honey which was a top 10 hit and they took the fame. Big mistake as many at the time were writing them off as a one hit wonder. Just incase that ever comes up in a pub quiz 😆

Looks like a good night out and be fun playing it with a few beers. A strange stream though, interviews going on with guys on a projector screen, when everyone is just chatting away enjoying the night. Kinda like doing a live stream of a pinball release in Wetherspoons.

Looks like a good night out and be fun playing it with a few beers. A strange stream though, interviews going on with guys on a projector screen, when everyone is just chatting away enjoying the night. Kinda like doing a live stream of a pinball release in Wetherspoons.
That’s what I mean a real odd venue

To not fuel the fire were people seem to be hating on PB and ABBA based on very little information, I figured I would focus my review of the evening and game on the positive and only a single "point of improvement" on the game.

The event / evening was absolutely entertaining and fun for the people there, myself and my family had a very good time! A pretty good crowd, the launch and unveiling was a little "unpolished" but on the flip side mercifully kept rather short, I would say about 15-20 minutes until the four games on site were made available for public play, music turned back on, and nobody seemed to care about the stuff on the screens (as it should be). Three separate areas were set up one of them in a quiet conference room with a single game so that the call outs and soundtrack could be heard clearly (smart move). The band was a hit with the crowd, food and drink was good, generally the place felt packed and people were having a good time. Lines to the games were not bad at all after about 1-2h. I got to play three games.

The games (not an expert reviewer by a long shot):
The art work actually wasn't bad at all in person. Actually I think the cabinet art works pretty well on both versions with a slight edge for the Voyage one. The play field art and lighting I would say is NICE! One little detail that I really liked were the RGB illuminated stand ups (instead on an insert in the play field), This added additional depth to the play field, felt more 3D and "alive" and I imagine you can do cool stuff with in the games / rules. Smooth and interesting shots, EXTREMELY smooth play field like a pane of glass. The Helicopter was VERY cool, the magnetised cyclone in the left rear also cool, a rather fast right side ramp with a rapid 180 deg turn around to serve the ball back to the left inlane also pretty nice! The out lanes seemed rather hungry. I would say the layout, mechs and play field has potential to be a very good game. It will come down to rules, soundtrack and call outs really. Neither of which I can say anything about based on three short games in a loud bar (never played the quiet room)

As promised, one area of improvement. The game felt VERY slow and floaty and the flippers were anemic to say the least. It was so bad on the two machines I played it would be a deal breaker for me. I know speeding up a game is not as simple as cranking up the rear legs and setting flipper power to 255, but I do hope for PBs sake there is a way to at least improve on this!

Well that was Abbasolutely underwhelming.

Reminds me of the older Stern music pins that felt and looked generic with a bands/groups music included rather than the newer cohesive music pins like EJ, Foo, Rush etc

Back
Top Bottom