What's new

Found it! Pin2dmd

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
In two minds.

Got my Data East JP and wish I'd bought two pin2dmds in the group buy.

So I'm on the look out for one.

I see i can get one from German gaming supplies, does anyone have any experience of this site? Someone on pinside warned me that they didn't send him one until he threatened legal proceedings and there's been other horror stories 🙄

And are they tricky to install in a Data East?

German gaming supplies are the worst company I and others have used. There is another seller who does them a little cheaper.
Google ‘problems with German gaming supplies’

I may have sourced one. My only concern is how to install in JP. I managed Road Show ok using the video on YouTube and the cable taps. Hoping it's similar?

For the record, I am aware of a French site https://techizy.fr/index.php that also sells them; the owner has sent me donations for my projects that he has pre-installed on displays he's sold in the past, though I can't speak to the quality of the displays or turn around times I'm afraid.

I also know of a few reliable suppliers further afield if you are willing to pay the customs & postage.

I'm struggling to find info about installing one in a Data East 🤷🏻‍♂️

I saw someone had to 3d print some standoffs

I bought a display from German Gaming supplies. Took a while but it got here and came complete with mem card and was pre activated.
The lead time was a few weeks anyway and when I heard nothing after then I poked them and got a "dispatched" mail the following day so

I bought a display from German Gaming supplies. Took a while but it got here and came complete with mem card and was pre activated.
The lead time was a few weeks anyway and when I heard nothing after then I poked them and got a "dispatched" mail the following day so

Interesting, i did notice you could pick a game so i assumed it came with the colour files.

I'm trying to find someone to 3d print some spacers before I buy one.
I have someone willing to sell me one from the group buy but want to be sure I can use it before spending the money

Yeah - I paid the extra 20 eur for the "roadshow" version - but i'm not convinced that gave me anything extra (other making my wallet 20 eur lighter). In-fact I sold it on again because I didn't think the colours looked that good in it. (And whilst there is a good colour file in the works there's no ETA at all - though I believe some folks have the in-progress version)

I bought that one off @HomerRamone and it also came with a 12v power cable for the machine (dependant on which type of machine it goes into). This didn't require tapping into an existing piece of loom.
IMG_0918 3.JPG

I took a look to see how I could make up the white part which allows the original loom to connect in and made something less pretty but workable for WH20.
This cable, the micro memory card and deliver from Germany doesn't sound too bad for the extra money.

I bought that one off @HomerRamone and it also came with a 12v power cable for the machine (dependant on which type of machine it goes into). This didn't require tapping into an existing piece of loom.
View attachment 120920

I took a look to see how I could make up the white part which allows the original loom to connect in and made something less pretty but workable for WH20.
This cable, the micro memory card and deliver from Germany doesn't sound too bad for the extra money.

I've already ordered a power tap from someone an American guy, doh. Didn't want to risk just tapping in with those splitter punch things just in case I wanted to undo it... I used them on RS but managed to do it close to the plug so probably easier to reverse. Not sure about Data east as the power seems to be further away.

The power tap I've ordered comes with a cable also so I should be good!

Someone has been very kind and printed the spacers for me also!

Yeah - I paid the extra 20 eur for the "roadshow" version - but i'm not convinced that gave me anything extra (other making my wallet 20 eur lighter). In-fact I sold it on again because I didn't think the colours looked that good in it. (And whilst there is a good colour file in the works there's no ETA at all - though I believe some folks have the in-progress version)

I assumed it was the WIP one they had? Where are they getting their colour files if not?
Weird

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but was that SM VE? I thought regular SM didn't have a PIN2DMD colourisation.

Yes - Vault has been colourised (very well) - but it uses a specific palette and you have to upload the new rom file.

Also the VAULT edition software will not go into the old Spiderman as the vault file is sadly bigger than the onboard memory so I am lead to believe.

I have all the files on a hard drive - I will check later.

Interesting, a different take on how you can do it and have it fused. I like that a lot.

Also the VAULT edition software will not go into the old Spiderman as the vault file is sadly bigger than the onboard memory so I am lead to believe.
So.... Replacing the RAM chip with a bigger one would theoretically allow loading the Vault software onto a regular SM?

Edit: no you can't according to this pinside thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spiderman-vault-or-2007-tnt-video-shows-differences -- the 2 editions have different revisions of the SAM board set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom